+8

I'm always looking for a better mouse trap for the farm

I've tried all the mouse traps in the hardware stores and have looked online. Think I'll try to build some of these old ones for the farm.

JustJimColos avatar Animals & Nature
6 27
@2743058

That was going to be my suggestion.
My sister has three very happy barn cats and no rodent problem.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +5Reply
@2743058

Pretty good option too, village cats are very vigilant and clever.

A fake mouse with a blond wig but poisonous, so when the male mice get there they get the kiss of death and DIE.

Because the mice have figured out that the current trap

@Stevensssss Because the mice have figured out that the current trap

Yes, they are pretty smart too, I heard that the reason rat poison is slow in it's work is because mice notice that if one of them gets immediately sick and dies from a poison the rest know not to consume it. That's why common rat poison is a type of anti blood cloth compound that ends up destroying the walls of blood vessels and they end up dying from internal hemorrhages.

Cats are possibly the best "mouse traps" out there... plus, you'll have some friendly companions as well! I've seen some tough farm cats who can take down waterfowl; mice don't stand a chance.

I've had good luck with "tin cats" as well, but those are more for inside the house. They catch the mice live, then when they're full you dunk them in the bathtub. Use peanut butter to bait them.

There were a lot of good suggestions. Can't do the cat thing since nobody lives at the farm.

@dru18 Get live traps, Jim. You'll love yourself in the morning.

No I wouldn't dru since I might only make it down there once a month. I don't want an animal to die of thirst or starvation, even if it's just a mouse.

@dru18 Okay, Jim, how about sonic traps?

There hasn't been electricity in the barn since 1955

@JustJimColo There hasn't been electricity in the barn since 1955

You need electricity for those traps? I put one in my yard outside to chase the moles away.

@dru18 You need electricity for those traps? I put one in my yard outside to chase the moles away.

I'll continue to kill them..<s> They also do a lot of damage. Last year they ate the wiring in one of my tractors. $700 later....

@JustJimColo I'll continue to kill them..<s> They also do a lot of damage. Last year they ate the wiring in one of my tractors...

Jim, the sonic trap work wonders with the mole. Maybe I am not using the right name, you know, vibration of sorts.

@dru18 Jim, the sonic trap work wonders with the mole. Maybe I am not using the right name, you know, vibration of sorts.

Try using it on a large area and it doesn't work. The ones that are even semi effective on small areas, use electricity. If I tried to get rid of the moles that way, I'd have to cove 80 acres. My neighbor a few miles away has killed over 1000 moles. The keep digging down and eating holes in his underground irrigation system.

@JustJimColo Try using it on a large area and it doesn't work. The ones that are even semi effective on small areas, use...

And where has "killing" the moles gotten him?

Moles eat grub worms, so if you want to get rid of moles, kill the grub worms.

@dru18 And where has "killing" the moles gotten him? Moles eat grub worms, so if you want to get rid of moles, kill the...

It's saved him thousands in repairs. Moles don't just eat grub worms. They destroy crops and create holes which livestock break legs in.

@JustJimColo It's saved him thousands in repairs. Moles don't just eat grub worms. They destroy crops and create holes which...

Jim, I am very aware of the destruction they can cause for I have almost broken an ankle when walking through my yard.

But yes, they do primarily eat grub worms.

you do that...