ZaraZoopers avatar Animals & Nature
16 85

Bulgarian because it's where I was born and still live.

Turkish because it's my ancestral language although it's rusty right now.

English - the foreign language I've been learning since I was a child.

Korean, Russian and German although my Russian and Korean are pretty rusty.

@JustJimColo Korean, Russian and German although my Russian and Korean are pretty rusty.

Holy crap Jim, where did you learn those? Korean must be hell for people like us who're comfy with a latin based language.

@Sunny_the_skeptic Holy crap Jim, where did you learn those? Korean must be hell for people like us who're comfy with a latin based...

Korean wasn't really that bad. Learned it at the Defense Language Institute in CA before being stationed in Korea. Learned Russian in College and learned German over the 6 years I spent in Germany.

@JustJimColo Korean wasn't really that bad. Learned it at the Defense Language Institute in CA before being stationed in Korea...

I kinda forgot that you were a veteran, damn sounds like a bunch of good stories are coming up. Shame you're on the other side of the world, otherwise I'd love to hear them over a beer or two.

I know the basics of Hindi/Urdu, English and Kashmiri.

I know a little bit of Arabic and French, but just a few important phrases.

@ZaraZooper I know the basics of Hindi/Urdu, English and Kashmiri. I know a little bit of Arabic and French, but just a few...

Hold on that's 4 why did you choose 3? And if you know Urdu and Hindi it means you were somewhere between Pakistan and India, as far as I know they don't like each other a lot.

@Sunny_the_skeptic Hold on that's 4 why did you choose 3? And if you know Urdu and Hindi it means you were somewhere between Pakistan...

Hindi and urdu are mostly the same when spoken, but written differently. Yes, one of the reasons for the dispute between the two countries is the place where I live- Kashmir.

@ZaraZooper Hindi and urdu are mostly the same when spoken, but written differently. Yes, one of the reasons for the...

Hm, never knew that, never anticipated that Indians and Pakistani, nations so different would share a language to some extent. So the conflicts between them are more political?

@Sunny_the_skeptic Hm, never knew that, never anticipated that Indians and Pakistani, nations so different would share a language to...

Yea. They’re political. They’re both trying to claim the land in Kahmir, 60% of which is currently Indian Administered. (30%-Pakistan and 10%- China).

Just the one....

Fluently? Do you count computer languages?

I know a few words in a dozen languages but conversationally I only speak English.

@VicZinc Fluently? Do you count computer languages? I know a few words in a dozen languages but conversationally I only...

I was about to add “fluently“ to the question, then I started thinking about how fluent I am in certain languages and .... Conversationally, is what I meant.

Just one...English!

I speak 3 languages - English, Drunk and Gibberish (fluent). hehe smilie

Redneck, English, and some Mandarin Chinese.

@ZaraZooper Can you write in chinese?

Lol, no. Chinese writing looks like crushed insects.

@ZaraZooper This is what hindi looks like:

All non latin based languages would look super weird to Westerners no doubt.

@ZaraZooper Looks like Russian.

Quite similar, this alphabet is called cyrilic and a lot of Eastern European countries use some variation of it, such as Serbian, Ukrainian, Russian, Slovenian, Czech, Polish etc.

@Sunny_the_skeptic Quite similar, this alphabet is called cyrilic and a lot of Eastern European countries use some variation of it...

Oh. It’s the same way Sanskrit gave rise to Marathi, Bengali, Gujarati, Nepali, Punjabi and much later, Hindi. Thanks.

@ZaraZooper Oh. It’s the same way Sanskrit gave rise to Marathi, Bengali, Gujarati, Nepali, Punjabi and much later...

This is why I like this place, it can connect people from all over the globe and expand our minds and understanding.

@2743648

That’s a perfect cocktail for someone who’d like to tour Europe, and most of the Americas.

@2743851

That’s great! I’ve never been to Europe. -.-

I am only fluent in English. I learned a little German during the years I lived there as child, but am not remotely fluent in the language.

Portuguese (my native language) and English.

@2744172

Thank you for the compliment. smile smilie That means a lot coming from you.

@primeiro Thank you for the compliment. That means a lot coming from you.

You're welcome, and thanks for your kind words smile smilie

I'm going to reword my previous comment because the way I worded the intended compliment looks as though it could have been taken in a bad way by some people.
Some days I simply suck at stringing together words ;(

@primeiro Portuguese (my native language) and English.

Your spelling, grammar, syntax, and grip on colloquial is faultless, seriously smile smilie

@2743782

Wow! That’s Great!

Remind me of this guy....

@ZaraZooper Wow! That’s Great! Remind me of this guy....

Thanks for the youtube video - that and almost a dozen similar videos kept me busy for an hour or more :) One little girl I watched was capable of reading and speaking 7 languages, impromptu - absolutely stunning... she was so cute :)

@PartyOfOne Thanks for the youtube video - that and almost a dozen similar videos kept me busy for an hour or more :) One...

You’re welcome. Yes, I’ve seen the 4 year old who reads and speaks in 7 languages. She’s awesome.

@2743832

That's an interesting profile, really. Thanks for putting it out.

@2743782

That's awesome!

English and Arabic.

There is Inner Self Speak, Subconscious Self Speak, Higher Self Speak, Etheric Self Speak (which has sub-levels)...and more...but the languages get more distant. There is some experience in all of these with some louder and clearer...once you learn 3 of the top languages...the others become easier to learn...

And, yes...also...English, Some Freise, and some Friench. Probably enough to get by. :)

@Sukiesnow There is Inner Self Speak, Subconscious Self Speak, Higher Self Speak, Etheric Self Speak (which has...

omg smilie

I’ll need some classes in the top 3. That’s probably the reason I find it so difficult to learn Arabic.

English and American Sign Language 🤘But ASL is unspoken

@vividlyprosaic English and American Sign Language 🤘But ASL is unspoken

I learnt the ASL alphabet once, and I don’t remember any of it, because I’ve never used it.

@ZaraZooper I learnt the ASL alphabet once, and I don’t remember any of it, because I’ve never used it.

Yeah that happens a lot with ASL unfortunately. It's not a language that you get to practice as often as some other spoken languages. So it's easy to get out of practice. I took a year off when I was going through chemo and when I went back to work (I had two Deaf clients), it was almost like I had to relearn a lot of it. Now I make a point to practice regularly just in case I get another Deaf client in the future.

Just English, but when I'm talking to someone I deeply admire I struggle with even that :-/

@Wunderscore Just English, but when I'm talking to someone I deeply admire I struggle with even that :-/

hehe smilie I’ve never deeply admired anyone to that extent, but I’m quite dreaded by the presence of some , and you don’t want to hear the alien languages I start speaking.

@2743834

I know the least about ancient languages; but it’s sad that we’re losing some of them.

@2744012

Learning another language is much easier when you have to talk to someone; it’s like we learnt French in the classroom. I can translate some written French but when I watch movies or French news, it’s like another language, mostly because they’re so fast.

I’ve mixed languages a lot. When we talk in urdu/hindi, we use so many english words because it’s quite difficult to know the entire dictionary of more than one language.

2...If you count Pig Latin.

@DandyDon 2...If you count Pig Latin.

I would never have known that was a thing, until I googled it.

Ankthay ouyay irsay.

I speak two...English and Redneck according to some hehe smilie

También aprendiendo español, puedo decir que apesta

🦋

@2744281

You mean "Vous deux ne m'impressionnez pas du tout ..." biggrin smilie
There once was a grumpy old grouch,
For whose French skills nobody would vouch.
Not a soul is distressed
That he wasn't impressed,
'Cuz he's always asleep on the couch. hehe smilie

@2744363

You must have been in your cups again... sir hello smilie