How much do you consider life span while choosing a pet?

This question is probably more important for us older folks, but young people should consider it too. Right now we have 2 young cats that if they live full healthy lives I will have to live to 80. I may or may not, but I definitely plan to travel on much longer vacations and trips once I retire so I need to figure out a plan for their well being.

Image for post How much do you consider life span while choosing a pet?
59% I don't consider it at all. 24% I make a plan for the pet if something happens to me. 18% Other
Will_Janitors avatar Animals & Nature
12 19

Sadly, I know the lifespan of a Rottweiler is only about 10 years. We love the breed though and just purchased another. I think the breed, or the size has more to do with a "fit" than the lifespan. Large dog's don't live as long as small dogs. Meanwhile, the frigging bird my wife bought while I was deployed, has a lifespan of 75 years. The kids are already drawing straws on who gets stuck with it.

My pet Halibut is getting a little long in the tooth if you know what I mean.

I did consider such things, even before I was an old person. I do think about it more these days, and surely would if I were going to adopt another young animal.
My youngest "pet" will be 9 this year, the other one will be 11. I've discussed what would happen to them if something happened to me, with people I trust. It concerns me a lot, that they could end up scared and confused in some facility that "euthanizes" animals just because no one wants them within a certain time frame....

Piper2s avatar Piper2 I make a plan for the pet if something happens... +7Reply

If I ever get a pet I will get a cat, they have a good life expectancy at least 10 - 15 years

Any pets I care to have are dogs and I've never cared much about their life-span. I know most smaller breeds live longer, but I'm not going to chose a dog only on that statistic. I did used to have a hamster, though. He lived for two years.

Sofias avatar Sofia I don't consider it at all. +6Reply

We've only had two dogs. One ran off. The last dog lived for 17 years. That's a long time. But I don't have any pets now. It was always a problem when we wanted to take a trip. Those "doggie" hotels can be very expensive. lol

@StarzAbove We've only had two dogs. One ran off. The last dog lived for 17 years. That's a long time. But I don't have...

Plus they usually stress the pet too. I'd like to become a snowbird and go to FL for the winters, but these cats wouldn't do well down there plus they are not allowed in the condo. :)

@Will_Janitor Plus they usually stress the pet too. I'd like to become a snowbird and go to FL for the winters, but these cats...

Yes they do. Our dog hated to go to the kennel....

Pets are great to have, but they do pose a lot of problems.

No, I don't think about it as it would prevent me from ever saving another life.

Anyone can go at any moment, so the best thing to do is to make plans for the continuation for the well being of your pet.

Never have I considered life span of my pets because all my pets are fish.
I just lost one of my Jack Dempsey cichlids (fish) that was with me for over 15 years.