Do you have any creative hobbies?

I don't mean like hunting or racing or fishing. I love fishing but it's not really a ~creative~ hobby. I mean like blacksmithing or knitting (both of which I personally love) or glass blowing or something where you CREATE a THING.

Image for post Do you have any creative hobbies?
astral_queens avatar Jokes & Humour
9 56

I like to cook. Unless im baking, i rarely use a recipe.
Im also a carpenter. But, unless it is a simple chair, table, shed, etc., i need someone to draw. I have about zero creative imagination and no artistic ability.

@astral_queen thats so cool!! i would love to learn how to be a carpenter. and i plan to someday!

Forging metal....thats cool.
My nephew is a farrier...i really enjoy watching him work.

@Carla Forging metal....thats cool. My nephew is a farrier...i really enjoy watching him work.

It's so fun!! I always thought farriers looked like they had such a dangerous job (im mildly terrified of horses) tho. some day we're gonna have a work shed type situation and do blacksmithing and wood working!!!!!

@astral_queen It's so fun!! I always thought farriers looked like they had such a dangerous job (im mildly terrified of horses)...

Being a good farrier takes a measure of good horse whispering. And a strong back.

You're gonna need a pretty big shed!

@Carla I like to cook. Unless im baking, i rarely use a recipe. Im also a carpenter. But, unless it is a simple chair...

Making good food is truly an art. And it's fun to share your expertise with others.

RE Carpentry - I work better from plans as well. I don't foresee problems well enough with a plan. When I've tried, I find myself learning from mistakes, but starting over gets old.

I've made a few tables that turned out nice. Then tried transferring what I learned to make a dining table - with a leaf. Tables with leaves are different than a coffee table. And once finished, it looked great but started to sag from weight of material that I did not take into consideration. That table is now back in the shop awaiting re-work into something else. All because I didn't have a plan.

@Budwick Making good food is truly an art. And it's fun to share your expertise with others. RE Carpentry - I work...

I think of those in the past. What they were able to build. The touches that made each piece unique. And they did it with archiac tools and fasteners.
I can spend hours in historic homes, just admiring the craftsmanship.

A leafed table...quite an ambitious undertaking.

@Carla I think of those in the past. What they were able to build. The touches that made each piece unique. And they did...

We are kindred spirits Carla. [politics aside]

I wonder, have you heard of a guy Paul Sellers? He is a master woodworker and WAY into hand tools overpower tools. I got hooked on his YouTube videos when making a workbench which also required me learning how to sharpen and use a hand plane.

You obviously appreciate craftmanship. You might enjoy his videos. As you might expect, it takes a while to watch - he is doing stuff the old school way. I can tell you though - his way works!

@Budwick We are kindred spirits Carla. [politics aside] I wonder, have you heard of a guy Paul Sellers? He is a master...

I just watched most of his bench video, thank you for the link. Now that i have the time to do this kind of woodworking, i dont have the physicality any longer.
I have many planes, some very old. But...i rely on my little 15" portable surface planer and my electric hand plane.

Sharp tools...cant do anything without them. If you sharpen your own....i appreciate that. Best i can do is keep my chisels sharp:[

@Carla I just watched most of his bench video, thank you for the link. Now that i have the time to do this kind of...

I learned that those old planes may be of better quality than the new ones! I think the quality of steel took a nose dive following WWII.

I bought an old Stanley #4 on Ebay for $25 and restored it. It looks great and shaves feather thin ribbons of wood. Gotta love it! If you can sharpen chisels, you can sharpen a plane iron!

@StarzAbove Wow Carla, you're very talented.

Starz...thank you.
I think raising a well adjusted family takes creative talent. Not all people have that skill.

@Carla Starz...thank you. I think raising a well adjusted family takes creative talent. Not all people have that skill.

Thank you, I think I did a good job, but I had help. My husband always backed me up.

But I know what being a carpenter means, a lot of hard work. My husband has built 3 homes, a couple of gazeboes, barns, has built 4 or 5 brick mail boxes in the neighborhood. And it takes a special skill and patience in carpentry. Kudos to you, my friend.

I whittle animal caricatures.

@2745060

Thanks! It's a new hobby but Mrs. Budwick is really digging the characters. If Momma is happy .....
Plus, I really enjoy doing them.

It started last summer. My daughter jokingly asked for the pony I had promised her when she was little. I whittled the horse caricature like the one shown and I was hooked. The one in the picture is actually the one I started for my daughter. When I finished Mr.s Budwick said that THAT one was hers! I needed to make another for the daughter.

Since then I've done more animals, wood spirits, caricature faces, etc. Still very much in learning mode.

It will always be a hobby I think. Never a business. The figures take too long - at least at my current skill level.

@Budwick I whittle animal caricatures.

oh my dude...thats really cool!!!!!!!!! :O

@astral_queen oh my dude...thats really cool!!!!!!!!! :O

Thanks. It's fun, relaxing and keeps me out of the bars! hehe smilie

I don't know if it's creative or not, but I play piano. Plus I'm top chef in my own kitchen. lol

@astral_queen those totally count. im a top chef in mine too!

lol I would love to be fired from the top chef position.

I would rather eat out, but that's not to be. lol

@StarzAbove lol I would love to be fired from the top chef position. I would rather eat out, but that's not to be. lol

i would rather go out sometimes too but its SO greasy usually and my wife and i alwaaaays get sick when we try to go out to eat. also we live in idaho....they dont really use seasoning here. we went to a local place and were like.........this is what yall eat around here?? let me go get some hot sauce or god even just garlic!!! yike.

@astral_queen i would rather go out sometimes too but its SO greasy usually and my wife and i alwaaaays get sick when we try to...

I agree, I've been having some problems with restaurant food as well. Not sure what is causing it, but it's not a good thing when traveling. lol

@2745055

that is extrEMELY RAD!!

@2745095

I WANTED to be a grill master, but never got it right. Since I tried all the various tools and equipment and still failed, I'm thinking there must be some skills I never learned.

So, if I'm ever invited over for dinner - you do NOT have to worry about me looking over your shoulder and critiquing you. No sir! You grill away, no pressure. I'll take charge of keeping your beverage full!

@2745095

thats awesome!! i love to grill too. last night we did! we made burgers and asparagus and hot dogs and mushrooms and it was great. i cant wait until the grocery store starts to have corn on the cob for sale... but our grill is a tiny round charcoal one. someday we will have a nice big one and fit lots of delicious shit on it!

@2745101

yesssssssss!!! on the burgers last night, i wedged a lil piece of sharp cheddar in their centers... and we had tomato and lettuce and grilled onions (which i had forgotten about) and mushrooms and barbecue sauce...which was great. also pickled jalapenos. yum smilie

@2745159

i love that!!!! maybe i should grow a salsa garden! very cool :)

@2745159

Home grown tomatoes are the best! I like to eat them right off the vine when they're still warm 😋

Doodling, Drawing, cooking.

Writing music.

No but I have lots of destructive hobbies

I create a lot of stains, but that's simply due to cooking and wanking, not always at the same time, though.

I've been composing music for 24 years now on computers and creating weird pictures for seventeen, but those don't count, since they don't really leave any proper stains... Unless you have a clean mind to start with.

I like to buy cool glass bottles and make Harry Potter inspired potions

Writing poems, short stories, and meditations, drawing, painting.

I enjoy writing, origami, drawing, cooking, crocheting, sewing, making up songs, sculpting, painting, and constructing various things from jumbo waffle blocks.

I used to make doll cradles and other crafts.I made nice money doing it.
I also liked to refinish furniture,that I bought garage sales.