Are we Bombing Syria Over the use of Chemical Weapons or is it for a Pipeline and Profit?

According to the establishment we are bombing the Middle East for "humanitarian" reasons. We are so disturbed by Assad's alleged use of chemical weapons that it must be stopped so we bombed Syria. If you believe that you don't have the brains God gave gophers.
Mainstream media and both sides of the aisle are calling for action which makes me immediately skeptical especially when they're trying to tell me Assad is an idiot. He may be a brutal dictator but I doubt he would be stupid enough to use chemical weapons. He's winning the war and Trump was about to start pulling US troops so Assad does the one thing that accomplishes nothing militarily or politically and will bring about US action. Yeah right. They say they have proof but it's classified. Uh-huh. So we fired 118 or so missiles in what was termed precision strikes. I wonder if France and the UK were as precise. This was supposedly necessary and I'm sure they will all hail Trump like the dumbasses did the last time. But I digress. Back to the notion that we're there to help save the Syrian people from poison gas. It's a fucking joke. We have supported and still support some of the most brutal dictators on the planet. We don't give a rats ass about Arab lives or American lives for that matter. it's about fossil fuel and a gas pipeline from Iran to Europe and the profit of war. It's the most profitable investment of all where the gains are measured in dollars and the losses are measured in lives. That's why we are engaged in perpetual war. The only thing that raises Trumps approval ratings is when he fires missiles. We sent off 118+ missiles at over a million bucks a pop but we can't provide universal health care.
We sent billions of dollars to Iraq that just vanished. Pallets full of 100 dollar bills and the military lost it? No investigation, no trials, not even coverage in the news. Humanitarian reasons. Riiight. This, like all US military action, is for profit.

50% Profit 21% Profit 7% To help Syria 21% Other
urwutuiss avatar Countries & Places
7 72

Throughout history wars have been waged on false pretenses. I am not sure whether that's the case here, but I know enough to suspect our own motives.

I agree with you that Assad is probably not an idiot, but I believe the Middle East is like another world and that my sense of right and wrong are very different than the people who live there. Many over there think it's appropriate to kill anyone who disrespects their prophet. To me that's barbaric lunacy.

@PhilboydStudge Throughout history wars have been waged on false pretenses. I am not sure whether that's the case here, but I know...

I don't think right or wrong is the issue. It's a matter of what would be best for Assad. He's winning the war and Trump was about to pull troops. Using chems would be the single dumbest thing he could do.
Regardless of how barbaric you believe them to be it would still be a stupid thing to do.

@urwutuis I don't think right or wrong is the issue. It's a matter of what would be best for Assad. He's winning the war and...

I see your point. It does seem stupid to us if we believe gaining control of Syria is his only motivation, and I certainly am not inside the man's head. I'm just saying he might value something like terrorizing or completely wiping out his opposition over having them merely surrender.

@PhilboydStudge I see your point. It does seem stupid to us if we believe gaining control of Syria is his only motivation, and I...

If that were the case why not either bomb, send in troops or anything that won't encourage US troops to stick around. I know the guy's a psycho but still . . . .

This is exactly what happened the last time we were about to withdraw and we still have seen no evidence that Assad was responsible for that attack either.
So far no one is even sure an attack occurred so how could they know Assad was responsible?

@urwutuis If that were the case why not either bomb, send in troops or anything that won't encourage US troops to stick...

You make a good point. None of us really know what happened. We only know what we've heard from other people, and they might not know either.

@2746725

I dont buy it, jd.
A bomb is a bomb is a bomb.
Blowing up, shooting, starving, torturing your people is okay, but gas crosses the line?

@Carla I dont buy it, jd. A bomb is a bomb is a bomb. Blowing up, shooting, starving, torturing your people is okay, but...

I'll have to disagree with you here Carla. I see chemical attacks as the worst possible way to die. Look up what Chlorine gas does to the body. It's a slow, painful death. There is no antidote.

@2746845

Mustard gas killed a lot during WWI. It's some bad stuff. ALL chemical warfare is as bad as it gets, with the possible exception of radiation.

@2746744

We ARE at war all the time. Where have you been?

@urwutuis We ARE at war all the time. Where have you been?

Exactly! People have forgotten about Iraq, Afghanistan. We're still at war.

@2746725

There is as much evidence it was Assad this time as there was last time.None.
This is the second time we were about to remove troops that Assad decided to do the only thing that would keep us there.
And you're actually buying that?

No one was killed? How could you possibly know that?
Saved 1000s of lives? Really? You honestly believe the US gives a shit about Syrian lives? You're in the bubble.
Is it that you can't wait for more war or do you have stock in Raytheon?

@2747335

Oh, I see you're rude as well as clueless.
Odd, I don't recall saying Assad never killed anyone or that this was proof of anything although it is rather coincidental to those of us with more than 2 gray cells to rub together.
Only a fool would think these guys are stupid. They're psychopaths not idiots.

Trump has done the right thing?
And you base this on your vast experience in foreign policy, no doubt. I guess killing people is OK as long as you think you're right. Heaven knows they've never lied to us before and Trump wouldn't do anything rash.
He just can't wait to use nukes. He thinks we can win a nuclear war. You probably think we can too.

If you buy this scenario you aren't using facts you're buying propaganda. I imagine you're one of those who fawned over Trump the last time he bombed Syria then thought we bombed Iraq and dropped the MOAB in Afghanistan for no apparent reason. Oh boy! More rockets and bombs.

Where did you get these facts you claim to use?
The media that is once again pushing war?
How can you not see the obvious when both sides of the aisle agree. That should be a huge red flag but you have facts.

Nobody knows the facts yet, Einstein.
Not right wing media, not pundits and not Trump. Nobody has been there.

How many more times are you going to buy into this bullshit before you figure out you're being played?

@2747710

I'm still waiting to hear these facts you claim to base your position on.
I know you don't have any facts because nobody does.
Taking a cue from the master?
You just want to defend your lord Donald and not have to see him for the lying sack of shit he is who can't wait to nuke somebody. Spring has sprung and bromance is in the air.
What a sucker.

You know, if you put a little money away each week pretty soon you'll have enough to buy a clue.

Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish

@2748139

"You are not on here often, which most members are pleased about"

So now you're just flat out lying. No wonder you like Trump.

As it turns out there was No chem attack in Syria after all.

Still think Trump did the right thing? lmao

@2748312

But there's nothing odd about Assad doing the only thing that would cause US troops to remain. No that's perfectly logical.
They interviewed named doctors from the hospital as well as locals.
The attack report came from the Violations Documentation Center , a non-profit organization comprised of various Syrian opposition groups funded by the Asfari Foundation and George Soros’ Open Societies Foundation,
Even Tucker Carlson can see this is bullshit

There hasn't been a single shred of evidence that gas was used. Even the dumbest of asses should want something more than hearsay from the Soros funded white helmets before bombing.

@2748447

Yes, it would tell a stupid person that.
It helps to quell the cognitive dissonance and investigation is then irrelevant. Bomb first, find out what happened later.
Of course our govt never lies and reports from white helmets carry more weight than US and British journalists or the doctors at the scene.

We should let the child president who believes climate change is a hoax and 3 million illegals voted bomb whoever he wants for whatever reason he sees fit without discussion or evidence.

We're bombing our way to peace because when it comes to profit from death "We're number one"
Besides WW3 will create jobs and thin the labor force and let's not forget ISIS and Al Qaeda are counting on our continued support because Assad is kicking their collective ass.

Bottom line: Trump decided all on his own to bomb Syria without knowing what actually happened because he's a humanitarian who cares about Syrian lives> (hahahahahahaha)
Only the textbook stupid would support that.

@2748839

Now that you've shown that you are the reason they put instructions on shampoo see if you can wrap your numb skull around reality.
It's not oil it's a gas pipeline Iran wants to run one backed by Russia and Saudi/Qatar wants to run one backed by US. Assad favors Russia so he must go.

Bombing to keep them from becoming rich? And you think that's OK
Control of resources is the same as having veto power in the region. We don't necessarily want their resources we want control of their resources.

It sure as hell doesn't have anything to do with chem attacks. We use depleted uranium which is also banned and the likely cause of gulf war syndrome but nobody talks about that.

The videos were of people suffering from hypoxia not chlorine gas.
Either way the fact remains.Trump bombed without knowing what happened.

@2749617

Apparently reading comprehension isn't a strong point either.
You aren't talking TO stupid you're talking FROM stupid

I just wish we had done more... but Asaad will never stop, he's been killing his own people for years, with the help of Russia and Iran.

I disagree with Trump's comments...Mission Accomplished. When in fact his generals hadn't had time to even assess the damage.

@2747273

What silence? Liberal media was all over Obama right from ACA with no public option. Making the tax cuts permanent, TPP, patriot act death of habeas corpus, drone strikes out the ass, turning 2 wars into seven, opening the arctic to drilling, sucking wind on DAPL and a lot more. You just weren't paying attention because you thought he was one of those liberal/Sharia Law Muslims.

@2748710

You said liberal media not mainstream media. There is no liberal mainstream media.
No I didn't read the memos because the Russia story is bullshit although Trump laundered Russian money for decades.

Oh right, just because I think Trump is a horribly incompetent president you retreat to the hate meme.
Odd you were silent for 8 years of Obama.

People are working for the first time in 70 years?
What are you talking about?

Hillary Clinton is not liberal. You are confusing liberal with democrat. The democrats are, at best, moderate republicans. The only one who comes close is Bernie Sanders and democrats will do anything to keep him out.

But back to the point.Trump bombed Syria without a shred of evidence and without knowing what really happened.
So it's OK for him to bomb whoever he wants whenever he wants? That's fucked up.

@2748976

Socialists have not taken over democrats and you're stuck in anti social, cold war rhetoric.

Todays democrats are actually moderate republicans. By today's metrics Eisenhower would be a Communist.
You should watch what they do and stop listening to the propaganda.

If you stand with Marcus you're part of the problem.
The war machine has you convinced threats are everywhere. Guess who supplies their weapons. Guess where their funding comes from. The same people selling you war after war after war.

Nobody is threatening us except the people we keep bombing. They're threatening us BECAUSE we keep bombing.
Don't you get it???
War is the most profitable investment on the planet and control of resources is, at the very least, veto power
If you think we're out there "spreading democracy" and "humanitarian aid" you've been overdosed with corporate propaganda.
The media giants get rid of anyone who doesn't toe the corporate line and promote war. Look what they did to Phil Donahue

I don't block anyone either.

Occasion and reason, two different things.

I agree with Phil's point up above that dictators, particularly those found in the Middle East, often do crazy things.

Have you forgotten so soon that Saddam Hussein did the one thing that gave the US the excuse to invade? He denied access to the inspectors who could have verified that there were no WMDs.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/1853860.stm

@Thinkerbell I agree with Phil's point up above that dictators, particularly those found in the Middle East, often do crazy...

Crazy things? Come on, really? So it's just coincidence that as soon as we're about to leave he does the one thing that will make us stay.
Twice. And you're buying that?

Hussein used to be our intel source for 15 years until he wanted to go off petro dollars and sell oil in another currency.

That article is nothing but establishment propaganda
When they talk about him using gas it actually happened 15 years earlier with the full knowledge and help of George HW. We sold him all the weapons he had. We knew there were no WMDs. All we had to do was look at the reciept.

This country has no qualms at all supporting brutality. We arm the Saudis so they can commit genocide in Yemen, arm Israel in brutality against Palestine, We armed Duerte in the Phillipines , Overthrew Mossadegh and re-installed the Shah , Assassinated Arbenze and it's all for money/power.

The Corporatocracy rule: Maximize profit by any means regardless of the effects on society or the environment.

@Thinkerbell So did Saddam deny UN inspectors free access to any possible WMD facilities or did he not?

There were several times in the 90s Iraq refused inspection claiming inspectors were CIA (Some were) but to my knowledge they were negotiated and inspections continued. My best guess is that he did deny inspections at the end.

Funny thing though. According to latest reports on ground samples and interviews with locals it would appear there was no chem attack in Syria after all.

@urwutuis There were several times in the 90s Iraq refused inspection claiming inspectors were CIA (Some were) but to my...

It was much more often than "a few times in the 90s."
That's what UN Resolution 1441, of Nov 2002, was all about: giving Saddam one last chance to comply.

http://www.un.org/Depts/unmovic/documents/1441.pdf

And no chem attack in Syria according to whose "latest reports"? The Syrians'? The Russians'? From what I've read, outside inspectors have not been permitted into the site of the alleged gas attack (déjà vu?), so I would be interested to see the sources you are quoting.

@urwutuis US and British journalists, Red Crescent,The Daily beast, One America News et al

This is what I found on the Daily Beast: an article about One America News "journalists" being taken on a guided tour by Assad government escorts to meet with people in the area who said they loved Assad.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/r...hemical-attack

And this is what I found about the alleged Red Crescent statement:

http://www.politifact.com/pundi...ical-attack-d/

Do you have anything more substantial? And please cite specific links, if you can.

@Thinkerbell This is what I found on the Daily Beast: an article about One America News "journalists" being taken on a guided...

Where's the evidence of a gas attack? Shouldn't that be the question? Or is it OK to let the president bomb whoever he wants without discussion, review or knowing what happened?

Do you actually think the US govt and the corporations that own it give a damn about the Syrian people?
They're dripping with so much concern they can barely enjoy the rise in Raytheon stock .
Don't you realize they look at this as a business opportunity? War is the most profitable investment in existence. Wars are not fought over ideology. They're fought over money and the power that comes with it.

@urwutuis Where's the evidence of a gas attack? Shouldn't that be the question? Or is it OK to let the president bomb whoever...

Of course evidence should be the question, and the "latest reports" from the kinds of sources you cited can hardly be considered such.

For evidence, try this, and links cited therein:

https://www.channel4.com/news/f...k-the-evidence

And again, why are the Syrians denying access to outside experts? (Oh, yes... security concerns, they say, but somehow it was ok for the One America News "journalists" to visit the scene.)

The matter of the presence of deadly chemicals could be very simply settled with some autopsies and chemical analysis of the area, but for some reason, Assad hasn't permitted that. Hmmm...

And no, I don't think the US govt or corporations give a damn about the Syrian people, any more than Bill Clinton did about the Iraqi people when he fired off his missiles at Saddam in Dec, 1998. I suspect, however, that your outrage over a president bombing "whoever he wants without discussion" was much muted at that time, speaking of ideology...

@Thinkerbell Of course evidence should be the question, and the "latest reports" from the kinds of sources you cited can hardly...

Just for the record I see very little difference between Clinton, Bush Obama and Trump. The differences are largely cosmetic.
When push comes to shove the corporatocracy is in control.
I have to admit channel 4 sounds credible but the evidence presented is less than concrete.

@urwutuis Just for the record I see very little difference between Clinton, Bush Obama and Trump. The differences are largely...

I'm inclined to agree about the corpotocracy, but it's not limited to the US.

Even Norway, which many liberals tout as a model of socialist excellence, hasn't signed the international whaling agreement. Wonder why...?

https://news.nationalgeographic...ing-fur-farms/

And do you suppose Norway would support the abolition of fossil fuels? Without North Sea oil, they would be about as poor as they were 100 years ago, when hundreds of thousands of Norwegians emigrated to the corporatist US.

Oh, and btw, outside experts were just allowed into the alleged chemical site yesterday, so we should have some answers soon. (and the Russians had the unmitigated cheek to complain that it took the outside experts too long to get there. biggrin smilie)

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-43850979

@Thinkerbell I'm inclined to agree about the corpotocracy, but it's not limited to the...

Yes it's definitely world wide but it seems worst in the US. We are being screwed from all angles. We pay more for medication, twice as much for health care, more for Internet with slower speeds, no funded higher education, more for housing and I wouldn't doubt we pay more for food and clothing.
We have the largest wealth and income gaps in the world and the highest incarceration rate. For a supposedly free country we have more people in jail than anyone else on the planet.
The problem is we don't jail the people who really belong there starting with everyone at Goldman/Sachs

@urwutuis Yes it's definitely world wide but it seems worst in the US. We are being screwed from all angles. We pay more for...

Most of the things you mention stem from the fact that our politicians from both parties can be bought.

@urwutuis Check out what Robert Fisk had to say. He's about as credible as it...

Not everyone shares your enthusiasm for Fisk. He seems to like writing friendly articles about Hezbollah, for example.

http://www.thecommentator.com/a...of_robert_fisk

And his interview with the doctor who claimed the people he saw were suffering from hypoxia caused by a dust cloud is more than a little questionable.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...=.944488db4f0a

https://www.snopes.com/news/201...ims-died-dust/

I will wait for the results of OPCW report.

@Thinkerbell Not everyone shares your enthusiasm for Fisk. He seems to like writing friendly articles about Hezbollah, for...

I don't agree with Fisk on many issues but whether or not you like what he says he isn't given to prevarication often.
We can speculate forever so I too will wait .