What is the absolute scariest horror movie you've ever seen?

The scariest movie I've seen to date is called "It Follows". I was surprised at how often my heart was racing because I'm a real horror fan and usually nothing really scares me too badly (and the synopsis of the movie looks awful tbh... I thought it would be a throwaway film) because I watch so much of it. But that movie is like really unsettling and just fills you with dread the whole time... it's great!! And really well done. And the music was rad too. When I was a kid I saw The Exorcist and I was scared to DEATH for MONTHS and couldn't sleep but then I rewatched it last year and it was actually just really hilarious...it made me laugh so much!! So my "Scariest Movie Ever" shifted from something that is like outright supposed to be scaaaary and grotesque, to something that was way more subtle, which has... nothing to do with the question I'm posting but it's interesting to me so I thought...that... I would share it. :) Anyway, whats yours?

Image for post What is the absolute scariest horror movie you've ever seen?
astral_queens avatar TV, Movies & Theatre
10 35
@2749114

omg... i love the hellraiser movies... those cenobites are gross and awesome. my fave is the one with the chattery teeth. he's the sickest!!

@2749203

i havent read any of the books. around halloween i will borrow them from my library :) thank you for the recommendation! adding them to my goodreads "to read" list right meow :)

Horror movies never scare me, but "Rings" scared the crap out my girlfriend at that time.

@2749125

Lol...At least she upgraded from VHS tape.

Misery. It was very realistic and wasn't dealing with monsters and crap like that.

@Will_Janitor Misery. It was very realistic and wasn't dealing with monsters and crap like that.

oh yeah!!! misery was so great. and i LOVE kathy bates. such a great actor.

I'd say, the Texas chainsaw dude

@Skunky I'd say, the Texas chainsaw dude

i still haven't seen those... im considering them for this year's halloween movie list (i make on every year). do you think theyre worth having??

Never watch YTs of an operation before you're having it...

@2749633

poltergeist! i watched it for the first time last year. my aunt told me it TERRIFIED her when it came out (she went to see it) and i can see why it would have back then, but last year i was like... lmao!! this is great!!!

I'm not really much for horror films, I saw one when I was a kid, I wasn't supposed to. Since that I haven't been very interested in horror films. But I did watch something once that was somewhere between snuff and horror.

@Sunny_the_skeptic I'm not really much for horror films, I saw one when I was a kid, I wasn't supposed to. Since that I haven't been...

what one was it when you were a kid? the exorcist put me off for YEARS. between snuff and horror... sounds gruesome

@astral_queen what one was it when you were a kid? the exorcist put me off for YEARS. between snuff and horror... sounds gruesome

I don't know its name but it was about some gas or something that revives corpses, and some guy used it to revive his dead girlfriend, but she went nuts and killed people and those people became such zombies. If I see it now I will probably laugh on how cheesy it was but it gave me the creeps as a kid.

I've seen hundreds and hundreds. In colloquial terminology, people usually equate "horror" with "gore". However, some movies which very deeply upset me were kinda low on gore. A few off the top off my head: The Snare, Come Back To Me, Deadgirl, Creep, The Corpse of Anna Fritz.

@Trish I've seen hundreds and hundreds. In colloquial terminology, people usually equate "horror" with "gore". However...

i dont equate horror with gore, but i do know that horror does often include gore. im not big on those... they feel like a cop out! like theyre tryna get me with the guts instead of making me frightened you know? the gory ones def have their place in horror but they're not my fave.

The Entity from 1982 simply because it was based on a true story.
I never did watch The Exorcist."

Hellraiser was terrifying. I makes you imagine what Hell might be like if you had to go there.

I don't like horror movies . I saw this one recently Not as frightening as funny chucky grew up to be president. .. Image in content

I'd say The Omen, was pretty creepy when it came out.

Blood and guts, all that jazz doesn't do anything to me..

For some reason....ghosts or aliens will give me the creeps when I'm trying to sleep...lol