Is Curing Patients a Sustainable Business Model?

This was a question recently posed to "investors" at Goldman/Sachs.
One report stated " The potential to deliver "one shot cures" is one of the most attractive aspects of gene therapies . . . While this proposition carries tremendous value for patients and society it could represent a challenge for genome medicine developers looking for sustained cash flow." A challenge!! To "sustained" cash flow. For medicine.
Well, we sure wouldn't want pharma to have to face any challenges to their profiteering from death and disease now would we.
This is what a "free market" economy creates.
Trumps recent bombing of Syria put a big jump in weapons contractor stocks.
Corporations don't even bother to hide the fact that they look at disaster and death as business opportunities. It's good for GDP and puts money in the pockets of psychopaths. Curing a disease or ending conflict is the last thing they want. Polluted water and air are dollar signs.
They don't even have to worry about govt interference anymore because they own the govt. . Contributions and the promise of a cushy job after their "public service" is more than enough to sway opinion.
Even when they get busted the worst case scenario is a relatively insignificant fine that they consider a cost of doing business to be passed along to the consumer. . They're too big to jail.
So, as the wealth gap continues to explode and 68% of the richest country in the history of the world can't handle a $1000 emergency and as Americans work more hours for less money than they did 30 years ago let's keep telling ourselves how wonderful "free market" Capitalism is. Capitalism is the most destructive force on the planet and it's destroying the world right before our eyes. I hope you like Soylent Green.

urwutuiss avatar Religion
2 26

I think it is. There is no end to to the number of diseases and injuries. If I get cured of the measles, I'll have to go back to get cured of strep throat, and that broken arm, and that gall bladder problem, etc etc ect.

I always find it amusing, listening to people who promote socialism, yet have never even been to a socialist country. Why is it that those who promote socialism have nothing, and just want what others have worked for, or they see themselves at the top of some socialist ladder?

@JustJimColo I think it is. There is no end to to the number of diseases and injuries. If I get cured of the measles, I'll have...

What I find amusing is the defense of bullshit like this even though I expected it.
We can't afford health care but we can afford 140 bombs a day, massive domestic spying, $3+ million golf trips every week, a $43,000 phone booth, a $30,000 dining table, private travel on tax dollars, Tanks the army doesn't want and countless other thefts by this admin and the others before it. Money for death but nothing to help average Americans or the less fortunate. We want our children to leave school in debt up to their eyeballs with just enough education to run the machinery and process the paperwork.

The poor are not stealing your money, the rich are.

If you think you're being robbed by someone lower on the economic ladder
you're being manipulated by someone higher on the economic ladder

Why is it that those who oppose socialism don't know anything about it and fail to see the devastation Capitalism creates?
Where do you get your misinformation?

Among other things It has stolen your humanity

63% of the richest country in the history of the world couldn't cover a $500 emergency while 3 people own more than the bottom 90%.
Does that sound like a system that's working?
Should America be proud of that?

@urwutuis What I find amusing is the defense of bullshit like this even though I expected it. We can't afford health care...

Like I said.

@JustJimColo Like I said. I always find it amusing, listening to people who promote socialism, yet have never even been to a...

You find it amusing because you're misinformed and assume far too much.
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

Universal health care has been supported by at least 75% for 40 years and generally is around 85%

It's obvious your "knowledge" of Socialism comes from right wing propaganda left over from the cold war.
There is more than one form
Or maybe we should just delete the "provide for the general welfare" phrase from the constitution.

@urwutuis You find it amusing because you're misinformed and assume far too much. Talk sense to a fool and he calls you...

Well, at least you got one part right, you are all about welfare, as long as someone else foots the bill.

Promoting the general welfare is an expression seen in the written constitutions of many sovereign states. Stated as a basic guideline, it usually indicates that the governing authority, as mentioned in the (constitutional) document, will have the power to make such laws which would promote the general welfare of the people.

Re-read that. Is says "promote" the general welfare welfare, not "provide" welfare for those too lazy to work.

Maybe you should read the constitution instead of regurgitating what you read on progressive/socialist blogs.

Is to my views on socialism, I learned about from being in socialist countries. Where have you ever been?

@JustJimColo Well, at least you got one part right, you are all about welfare, as long as someone else foots the bill...

I've been in business since 1988 and currently have 12 employees.
I foot my own bills.\
All insurance including health insurance is socialism.

What's the attraction to paying twice as much for health care with no better results?
Universal health care would save billions of taxpayer dollars. What are you afraid of?

You have no problem funding US terrorism across the globe but nothing to raise the standard of living for poor Americans. Support the establishment and promote massive inequality.
Such admirable values.

We spend a trillion plus every year in defense. We could end world hunger for a measly 31 billion. The pentagon loses more than that in the laundry. In 2001 they reported losing 2.3 trillion. They lost billions in Iraq. Pallets full of $100 bills just vanished and you think welfare is the problem? It's the poor who are stealing from you not the bankers and CEOs making $350,000 a day while contributing nothing of real value to society.

Capitalism is the most destructive system known to man. It rewards greed and corruption while it stifles technology and innovation.
It's why we're bombing the shit out of the Middle East and it's killing us all.

You spout right wing talking points by rote then accuse me of regurgitating. Project much?

Most of what humans bring to the table are about making life better/easier for some or harder/shorter for others. Your post is interesting and much of it is correct as far as greed being a problem. Greed doesn't only exist in Capitalism though. It exists in every economic system. The other thing is blaming corporations. It still comes down to people. It's people that are on the Boards of Directors, and usually it is only 1 or 2 people that hold all the power on those boards. It would be nice if everyone played nice, but no matter the system they are in, there are always greedy assholes. JMHO

@Will_Janitor Most of what humans bring to the table are about making life better/easier for some or harder/shorter for others...

I agree greed is a problem but I don't think it's "the" problem. The problem is a system that rewards and even exalts greed and corruption while it stifles technology and innovation. It's as destructive as it is unstable and it's totally unsustainable.
Not that I have an answer but there's got to be a better way than being free range slaves or livestock on a tax farm.

Forgive my first comment, I misread " cursing patients ". As for your post, Family Guy made a very good statement on this matter. It would be ethical and correct to cure a disease but it wouldn't be profitable, and since when do companies not chase a profit?

@2755203

Right, because more sick people is good for the GDP and it's OK for the corporatocracy to rip us off and suppress cures because the "investors" expect "sustained" returns regardless of the effects on society or the environment. What's the big deal?

@2755437

I agree with everything you said. My appologies

It should not even be up for debate.............Of COURSE the goal needs to be cure. I am so tired of how money corrupts everything. Also, why is this listed in "Religion"?

They don't want to cure illnesses what would that do to the population growth? The Rothchilds have enough money to solve world hungry tomorrow, but they don't want to.
Eugenics hasn't disappeared, they were always concerned by the uncivilised common folk outbreeding the civilised upper class folk, but they knew they could always rely on war, disease and poverty, they now also have vaccines, abortion and homosexuality to boot.
There's big money to be made in pharmaceuticals, and have you ever noticed the long list of side effects that come with them?
Same as charities, most of that money is intercepted, it amuses me when they ask you to make a donation they tell you to "gift aid" it, as the government will meet it like for like, and guess who the government is? Us, so we pay twice.
It doesn't matter what party you vote for or which type of governing you choose it can only be totalitarian because the elite wouldn't have it any other way and eugenics have also rated highly with them. We are plebs/slaves no matter who runs the show.