If the police are investigating a robbery, and while executing a search warrant stumble across a basement full of counterfeit money and cocaine, should they ignore it? Would the cops be 'overstepping' their authority if they pressed charges?

Image for post If the police are investigating a robbery, and while executing a search warrant stumble across a basement full of counterfeit money and cocaine, should they ignore it?  Would the cops be 'overstepping' their authority if they pressed charges?
73% Of course not - a crime has been committeed 9% Yes - overstepping - ignore the cirmes 0% Depends on ... 18% Other
VicZincs avatar
6 33

Hmmm, well we know that there is probably more to the story than you are letting on. And, we know that law enforcement is getting more and more hog tied - can't even ask for ID in some places.

I guess the jump to a decision answer is of course they can press charges. And, I'll have to wait and see what the 'gotcha' is.

Budwicks avatar Budwick Of course not - a crime has been committeed +6Reply
@Budwick Hmmm, well we know that there is probably more to the story than you are letting on. And, we know that law...

Of course Vic is not telling the whole story, does he ever? biggrin smilie
It's an obvious reference to the Federal judge who questioned the extent of Mueller's authority and his real motivations, as if we didn't know what they are. hehe smilie
https://www.reuters.com/article...-idUSKBN1I51WE

@Thinkerbell Of course Vic is not telling the whole story, does he ever?...

Ahhh! So, now they want to try and ruin someone elses life for not playing ball? Typical Mafia democrat move.

Budwicks avatar Budwick Of course not - a crime has been committeed +2Reply
@Budwick Ahhh! So, now they want to try and ruin someone elses life for not playing ball? Typical Mafia democrat move.

Yes, in exchange for leniency, they hope to get the indicted person to say whatever the prosecutor wants them to say tell truthfully what they know about the person they really are after.

@Budwick Something tells me that targeting a judge might be a bad move.

I'm interested in finding out what is in Rosenstein's unredacted memo regarding the scope of Mueller's investigation.

For some reason, Rosenstein has been stonewalling its release for months. Why?
https://www.metro.us/news/polit...eleases-all-it

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yes - overstepping - ignore the cirmes +1Reply
@2758418

Correct, under the current law, and in my opinion too.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yes - overstepping - ignore the cirmes +3Reply

I believe they could seize the drugs and money, and charge both him and the house. Even if he beat the rap, it was in the house, so the house was "guilty" and would become property of the state, although that process can be amended if it's a rental or something. It's called civil asset forfeiture, it's how they do things these days.

@VicZinc So it seems. Government overstepping it bounds.

Well, yeah, but come on Vic - they might be able to oust Trump! Do you really think laws apply to guys like Mueller assigned to dump Trump investigate the non existent Russian collusion up to and including jay walking offenses - real or imagined?

Budwicks avatar Budwick Of course not - a crime has been committeed +3Reply
@Budwick Well, yeah, but come on Vic - they might be able to oust Trump! Do you really think laws apply to guys like...

I expect our law enforcement agencies to follow the laws and uphold the constitution. Anything less would be abuse of power.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc Yes - overstepping - ignore the cirmes 0Reply
@Maze Oh really, you expect that? Based on what?

Based on my expectations.

Do you have any expectations?

I find mine occasionally go unmet.

@VicZinc I expect our law enforcement agencies to follow the laws and uphold the constitution. Anything less would be abuse...

Abuse of power is exactly what is going on with these Russian collusion investigations.

Budwicks avatar Budwick Of course not - a crime has been committeed 0Reply
@Budwick Abuse of power is exactly what is going on with these Russian collusion investigations.

Perhaps you should consider changing your answer.

In the case of Manafort, their is not a question rather his alleged activities are criminal, the question is whether the 'cop' who 'arrested' him has jurisdiction.

I will also remind you that POTUS has not been charged, and a far as we know, has not even been investigated. However, several of his closest associates have been found to have skeletons in their basements (so to speak). Is cleaning the swamp really an abuse of power?

@VicZinc Perhaps you should consider changing your answer. In the case of Manafort, their is not a question rather his...

What are the charges against Manafort, Vic? And, are they remotely related to Trump colluding with Russia to steal the election - which by the way has already been conceded didn't hap-pen.

@Budwick What are the charges against Manafort, Vic? And, are they remotely related to Trump colluding with Russia to steal...

Again (and I know that you can't help beating that drum) the investigation is not about Trump it is about Trump's campaign colluding Russia and interfering in our elections.

The Trump-collusion things is a story made up by what you call "MSM". Neither Mueller nor Rosenstein (nor Comey for that matter) have said this investigation is about Trump himself, it has always been about collusion with his campaign.

Nearly 100 charges have been filed on that front. It is pretty clear that people close to the campaign colluded with Russia - no evidence that Trump himself did.

From what I have read the charges are:
28 counts:
-conspiracy against the United States
-conspiracy to launder money
-unregistered agent of a foreign principal
-false and misleading FARA statements
-assisting in the preparation of false tax returns
-subscribing to false tax returns
-filing a false amended return
-failure to report foreign bank and financial accounts --bank fraud conspiracy
-bank fraud

Nothing about counterfeit money or cocaine in his basement, which if there was, according you your vote here, you would be OK with him being charged.

@VicZinc Again (and I know that you can't help beating that drum) the investigation is not about Trump it is about...

Nothing is clear. In fact, everything is quite opaque! Muller won't even share the nature of charges with the judge ! I have no idea where you are getting your information.

Is it simply coincidence that impeachment of Trump and this phony investigation all began about 20 minutes after Hillary lost?

If you truly believe that the investigation isn't about Trump - then you are no where near as smart as I thought you were. And, I would appreciate it if you would stop blatantly lying to me.

Budwicks avatar Budwick Of course not - a crime has been committeed +1Reply
@Budwick Nothing is clear. In fact, everything is quite opaque! Muller won't even share the nature of charges with the...

I don't believe anything.

If you can produce one statement from anyone in the justice department saying Trump (himself) is under investigation I will recant.

Whether or not I think he is matters little, he clearly thinks he is, and apparently so do you.

@VicZinc I don't believe anything. If you can produce one statement from anyone in the justice department saying Trump...

"Special counsel Robert Mueller notified President Trump's lawyers last month that the president is being investigated as part of the Russia probe" - NPR

Perhaps, although not the most egregious example I've heard of. There have been cases of people going to buy a vehicle or some other large private purchase and getting stopped by the cops with $10k or $15k in cash and having it seized as proceeds of crime without any evidence whatsoever of a crime being committed besides the presence of a large amount of cash. THAT'S the government overstepping its bounds.

If they see any crime being committed, whether it be fraud or even murder, they should investigate and press charges if necessary.

If the police saw it, they'd be obligated to call it in, at least, for further orders re: DEA, FBI, Treasury, so on.

PartyOfOnes avatar PartyOfOne Of course not - a crime has been committeed +1Reply

Wait a minute...a old Miami Vice show, right?.

Cop A- shoves the perps face in the coke and while he's gagging and turning blue....

The cops says..."We can't do anything about you being a slob but you shouldn't leave your flour sitting out like that".

Cop B- grabs the suitcase full of counterfeit money..it's an honest mistake because it looks just like his..

Yea...I think that's how it went.