+7

The first? What? The First? Saddest part of this is it was a party line vote. Guess which party voted AGAINST banning child marriages. That's right, the Republicans. I still can't believe that conservatives won't recognize how much like ISIS they really are. No wonder they defended Roy Moore.

First State claims another 1st: No more child marriages. Period.Well, it's official: you can't marry children in Delaware anymore.http://www.wdel.com/news/first-state-claims-another-st-no-more-child-marriages-period/article_95ea448e-53c9-11e8-8ef5-879e7f0688b8.html
VicZincs avatar Language
4 66

Of course they want child marriages. Their morals are worth 5 cents at a dollar store at this point. I am just SOOO completely unimpressed by anything they've done lately that they have completely annihilated any credibility they had to stand on moral ground for me. If there was a "time honored" tradition of beheading the first born in christianity the republicans would be saying how evil first born children are and what vices they cause. "look at the statistics man!!!1111"

How on earth is child marriage legal anyway?

What the actual hell?!

@2759237

For example

If I say grapes don't realize how like watermelons they are (compared to say centipedes). Conservative don't realize that their values are closer to ISIS than liberals values are close to ISIS.

I stand by that even if it is comparing grapes to watermelons.

@2759291

Not true Boz, won't fly.

ISIS does not approve of gay marriage or women's right to choose; they do support religion taught in schools and prayer in government, for example. ISIS and Republicans are much more ideologically aligned than you or most conservative are willing to admit. Both have similar goals.

In what ways do you see ISIS and Democrats aligning? I am all ears.

@2759331

Again. I said closer to ISIS (in terms of social values) then the liberals. In my analogy I compared a grape to a watermelon.

Yes, democrats are closer to antifa-communist than most republicans are, that does make them one-in-the-same, just closer.

Republicans are closer to ISIS (in terms of social values) than most democrats, and won't recognize it - and you don't recognize it.

@2759340

I don't see the left limiting what people can say. Do you?

@2759349

You are correct in that I have seen those things happening too. In that sense the Left is like ISIS.

@2759357

Sorry, Boz but whether you want to admit it or not we share some values. ISIS is despicable in many ways, but they are human.

They want their children to have morals. They want food, water, shelter. They want to worship their god, and they want others to respect their rights to self determination.

I disagree with their tactics, but if we continue to pretend they are nothing like us ,then our only hope is to kill them all.

If we are willing to recognize them as fellow humans, if we are willing to admit we have some commonalities, then there is hope for peace.

@2759237

Hmm... well that makes things very different, I honestly believed that in America you'd have anyone doing the same things they do in Yemen.

Such misinformation can be deadly. Too dangerous just to push an agenda.

@2759241

Well in that case they will be prosecuted, as must all that disrespect the law.

It's really sad that Democrat/Socialists don't see how much they're like the Nazis.

@JerryHendrickson It's really sad that Democrat/Socialists don't see how much they're like the Nazis.

I think we do. We are alike in that we vote for social support systems, we are different in that we prefer democracy to totalitarian rule and we support religious diversity. See it's easy to compare and contrast while admitting your similarities and differences.

I did not say you were exactly alike, I said you were more closely aligned than you are willing to admit. I stand by that until someone admits it.

@VicZinc I think we do. We are alike in that we vote for social support systems, we are different in that we prefer...

I don't support child marriage or abuse of any kind.
I don't support the subordination of women.
I don't support rule by religion.
I don't believe in harming others who believe differently from me.

@JerryHendrickson I don't support child marriage or abuse of any kind. I don't support the subordination of women. I don't support...

I knew this from your previous posts and comments. Some people are more socially liberal and fiscally conservative and you seem to be one of those.

But plenty of people vote republican because they are socially conservative - those are the ones who, in my measure are closer to ISIS that you seem to be.

@2759338

Here is the line

Isis<-------------->reps -- dems.

Yes closer. ISIS is a conservative group. As yet not one person has been willing to agree that, for example: ISIS is against gay marriage and the GOP is against gay marriage. In that sense alike, and in that sense unwilling to admit it.

Please tell the rest of the story. I see nothing about the Senate and house being split in this article and i just want to know why no republicans voted for it.

@2759353

Thanks. I don't know either, but this one line gave me chills....

"Ken Boulden, a clerk of the peace in Delaware, fought to change the law more than a decade ago after he was asked to approve a marriage between a pregnant 14-year-old girl and a 27-year-old man." It goes on to say that he alerted the police, who were on hand to arrest the man for statutory rape. "The one vision that will stay with me the rest of my life is the look on that little girl’s face" when she knew she was finally safe.

@2759369

People are so sensitive.
I said how alike they are

How close am I to the Grand Canyon? 1500 miles. I realize how close I am. Closer than say, someone in Italy.

"conservatives won't recognize how much like ISIS they really are" answer - a tiny bit. Example both want to be able to worship their god in public. (liberals general don't want that). Both want to be able to choose not to serve customers whose lifestyle they don't approve of (liberals general don't want that either). In that sense conservatives are like ISIS, and are horrified to admit it.

On the other hand, ISIS wants to cut off people's heads and American conservatives (generally) don't want to cut off people's heads- they are not alike in that way. But they are alike in other ways.

Nothing wrong with recognizing how much like ISIS we really are. We have no problem recognizing how much 'unalike' we are. How about we recognize how much alike we are?

@2759386

Well, trolls like me thrive on it, so thanks for the boost.

@2759827

and there is lies the problem. Your failure to see that commonality is the answer, not calling humans disgusting. Every comment you make here just proves my point.

I surely hope all child m,marriages are banned, especially because so many Muslim ideas are trying to slip into our lives and laws. It isn't right for parents to trade daughters for whatever. Only the young woman can pick the man she will spend here life living with. I do wonder where children were being married? Hillbilies maybe?

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred I surely hope all child m,marriages are banned, especially because so many Muslim ideas are trying to slip into...

Muslim ideas? Child marriages have been allowed here forever. It is shameful that it has taken this long for the first state to act
.it is also shameful that there would be any downvotes to outlaw them. Leave it to the right to do so. Yep...maga.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +4Reply
@2759135

To be fair... in texas, tennessee, arkansas, west virginia child marriage is most common.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +1Reply
@2759134

OK so what did every Republican vote NO on this bill? And why did republicans support Roy Moore's paedophilia?

@2759745

Thanks for proving my point.

@2761733

Got it. Thanks for the clarity.

Quote from Sen. Anthony Delcollo (R-Elsmere) - “Children under 18 have no legal standing--they cannot file for divorce, utilize a domestic violence shelter, apply for a loan or open a credit card. They cannot enter any legal contract, but until this bill was signed they could be married as a child without any way of escaping an abusive marriage,” said Rep. Kim Williams (D-Newport). “Now that we have closed this loophole in Delaware law, children will be protected from forced marriage and its dangerous consequences. I am so proud that Delaware is leading the way to protect children, and I hope that other states follow suit.”

Sen. Anthony Delcollo (R-Elsmere) celebrated the passage of a law which "included an exception for circumstances that would otherwise be considered statutory rape"

How Vic manages to take information like this and make republicans comparable to ISIS might explain the disease democrats are suffering from. May God have mercy on your soul.

@VicZinc Please explain why no Republicans voted for this new law?

Please explain why no democrat voted for tax cuts.

the bill passed in the state Senate unanimously on May 3, 2018, with 21 "Yes" votes.

@VicZinc Because tax cuts are a bad idea. your turn.

Tax cuts have contributed to a soaring economy.
So, you don't like the economy doing well?

@Budwick the bill passed in the state Senate unanimously on May 3, 2018, with 21 "Yes" votes. Tax cuts have contributed to...

I did not say that. I said tax cuts are a bad idea.

Now it it your turn to tell me why republicans want to be able to marry children.

@VicZinc I did not say that. I said tax cuts are a bad idea. Now it it your turn to tell me why republicans want to be...

OK, since you don't want to take time to look up an answer to your own question right now, get back to me once you've made up a good reason as to why tax cuts are a bad idea.

As I'm certain you already know, you've asked a loaded question - one that accuses in addition to asking a lame question. It's a mean spirited tactic used repeatedly by the desperate left and floundering media. [You should get used to the fact that like the media, people will regard you with less and less integrity as you continue. And, let's be honest - you don't have much to spare.]

But, on to the answer to your loaded question! The Republicans in the House wanted some exceptions that the Democrats refused to compromise on. Specifically underage pregnancy with parental consent.

So Vic, what would Jesus do?

First state to ban "child marriages"?
How do they figure that?

Every state in the union has 18 as the minimum age, with certain exceptions requiring judicial approval.

Mississippi has a minimum age of 21.
Nebraska has a minimum age of 19.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A..._United_States

@Walt_OReagun First state to ban "child marriages"? How do they figure that? Every state in the union has 18 as the minimum age...

The first to outlaw all exceptions I would guess. Some on that list would allow 14 yearolds to marry is they are pregnant. Arkansas, for example has no lower limit if the women (child) is pregnant and the parents consent there are examples 11 yearolds who marry.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05...in-the-us.html

The republicans stood up and said we're not Deplorable and then did nothing to prove that statement