Could I be wrong about Trump?

I still believe Trump is a vile, amoral, uncouth man, but could I be wrong in thinking he would destroy the country? I have to admit, the economy is bumping along and unemployment is at a 20 year low. People seem to be confident and secure with their jobs and are spending money like I haven't seen since Clinton was President.
I sell flooring materials in a very small mountain town (maybe 7500 people) and haven't had a full day off work in over 3 weeks now. One son started an HOA management business 7 or 8 years ago. He started with 3 other people, they now have 160 employees and looking to expand again. A 3rd son is in the entertainment business as an agent, and is so stressed out with overwork that I'm actually worried about his health.
Those who think Trump may be a one term president could well be wrong. If the economy keeps going along like this, there is no way he will not be re-elected.

Image for post Could I be wrong about Trump?
Flrdsgnss avatar Politics
8 77
@2761105

Spot on Will. I remember in the 90's, I was at a business gathering in Hawaii. The featured speaker stood up and said they needed to come up with a plan to get Clinton out of office. No one clapped, no one smiled, everyone was making a ton of money and they didn't care what Clinton had done, they weren't going to vote against him.

You could be wrong.

Then there's the theory that Trump is just taking the credit from what Obama has done...whatever that's supposed to be.

Either way, this is better than the opposite..

@DandyDon You could be wrong. Then there's the theory that Trump is just taking the credit from what Obama has...

Maybe Trump is responsible for the good economy, maybe it was Obama, but the fact is, unemployment is at a nearly 20 year low, and people are spending money again. I just hope the economy continues to do this well.

@2761101

Yeah, they were dead wrong about that. Did the Democrats lie to us, or were they just wrong? If the Democrats want to win in 2020, they really need to find some new, younger candidates, preferably someone from the Mid West, with moderate views.
Just my opinion though.

@2761130

Both sides seem to gerrymander the districts, I wish both sides would stop and just let the electorate decide.
It may be too much to ask for politicians to actually work for the country instead of just trying to get themselves re-elected.

@2761148

They need to put an end to the super-delegates in my opinion. But I also think the electoral college should be a thing of the past too.

@2761166

I live in California, so we are under represented for our population. With today's technology, I think a popular vote is the only way to go, but I can't really see that happening anytime soon.

@2761232

That's quite a map, where did you find that one? Living in the Los Angeles area, I've always thought a town of 10 million should have better representation, but I see your point.

@Flrdsgns I live in California, so we are under represented for our population. With today's technology, I think a popular...

Me neither. Electoral College is the way a vote from Wyoming can be a precious as one from California.

@2761068

I completely agree. most of us care about our own lives, and if we are doing well, then we can all overlook personality traits we don't care for. Thanks for commenting Rooster.

@2761063

Always possible, some may be upset with me, but if I was wrong and the economy and country keeps doing well, I think people will vote their pocketbook.

@2761063

Dear sweet friends that dump your ass for what you think?

Check your definition of sear sweet friends!

@2763873

Gotcha! Thank you.

Agreed. So far. Hope it keeps up.

@VicZinc Agreed. So far. Hope it keeps up.

I do also Vic, although I would like a day or two off soon.

@Flrdsgns I do also Vic, although I would like a day or two off soon.

Trump is the same ignorant fool he's always been. If the economy is so great, why is Trump constantly saying we need more jobs.

Plus, I thought you went to the beach last week. lol

@StarzAbove Trump is the same ignorant fool he's always been. If the economy is so great, why is Trump constantly saying we...

That was 2 weeks ago, and I had to work a couple hours in the morning before I left. remember I'm supposed to be retired and only wanted to work a couple days a week.

I agree, Trump is an amoral fool, but the democrats were wrong when they said Trump would destroy the country. You know I don't agree with everything he has done, but blaming pharma for the opioid crisis is the right thing to do, and the economy is doing pretty well. I can put up with a jerk as long as the country does well.

@StarzAbove I thought the beach was last week, and I was so envious. lol

I don't know, I may have run down for an afternoon, not sure. I do know I spent time in the store everyday the last couple weeks.

@Flrdsgns I don't know, I may have run down for an afternoon, not sure. I do know I spent time in the store everyday the...

I am so envious of you living close to the beach, I wish I could run down and wade a little. But I'm landlocked. lol And It's hotter than hell here today. lol

@StarzAbove I am so envious of you living close to the beach, I wish I could run down and wade a little. But I'm...

Trade ya, it was nice this morning, but by the time I got out of the store, clouds had moved in and it's yucky out. Beach has been completely socked in the last couple days.

The party is the engine. Trump has no real policy ideas. The people voted for trump because he was the deuce. Wild.

I certainly hope that things keep moving in a positive direction.
But...i cant get past this guy.

@Carla The party is the engine. Trump has no real policy ideas. The people voted for trump because he was the deuce...

Can't get past him, eh?
Try some of the progressive tolerance I've heard so much about!
Trump is by no means perfect. But despite tons of opposition he's gotten a lot of positive things done. With a little more support - or even just less resistance - lot's of good stuff for the country! Not the party - the country.

@Budwick Can't get past him, eh? Try some of the progressive tolerance I've heard so much about! Trump is by no means...

No...i cannot get past him. If he was just a baffoon, i could look the other way.
I do not wish to tolerate people such as trump. In any capacity.

@Carla No...i cannot get past him. If he was just a baffoon, i could look the other way. I do not wish to tolerate people...

That's OK.
But hey, you are still welcome to enjoy the roaring economy, job growth, healthier business with fewer regulatory burdens, outstanding judicial appointments, amazing developments with foreign country relations, hammering away to try yo keep our borders secure, and releasing the burdensome Obama Care Mandate.

@Budwick That's OK. But hey, you are still welcome to enjoy the roaring economy, job growth, healthier business with fewer...

You are right about the good economy, the fewer regulations is not working out so well, sure corporations are making a much better profit, but they are also dumping their toxic waste in rivers and the ocean. Many of his judicial appointments have been a flop also.
Still people will vote their pocket books, though I don't think I could actually vote for Trump, I simply will just watch and not vote at all.

@Flrdsgns You are right about the good economy, the fewer regulations is not working out so well, sure corporations are...

Some things take longer than others.

March, 2018 - U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday nominated a Dow Chemicals lawyer to head-up an Environmental Protection Agency unit that oversees hazardous waste disposal and chemical spills from toxic “Superfund” sites.

This administration would prefer the states to regulate some of these matters - locally.

@Budwick Some things take longer than others. March, 2018 - U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday nominated a Dow...

Not true Bud, California has prohibited further development and drilling in the ocean off our coast, yet Trump has opened it up to anyone who wants to drill.

@Budwick But States don't have jurisdiction to rule there.

So much for your State control statements. California is already the 3rd largest oil producing State. We don't need to destroy our coastline looking for more.

@Flrdsgns So much for your State control statements. California is already the 3rd largest oil producing State. We don't...

Flanders, some things are better run by states some by fed. That's a reasonable concept.

Drilling for oil does not equal coastline destruction. I've seen west coast organizations far more concerned about other issues - Noise, the Flawed Public Process, Wildlife and Habitat, Jet Emissions, Electromagnetic Radiation, Fire Danger.

You know the area West of the mountains if left natural would be desert. California prefers to drain resources elsewhere to force nature to California's will. Fighting nature usually doesn't end well.

I realize that drilling constitutes some risk of a spill. Of course the risk is there with the first well too.

For the record - I'm really happy we can discuss these days. I'm grateful for the dialogue. goo smilie

@Budwick Flanders, some things are better run by states some by fed. That's a reasonable concept. Drilling for oil does...

West of which mountains? The Sierra's or the Coastal Range? The area in between makes up the central valley which is a semi desert, but has great soil for planting. Since the 300 mile long Central valley produce a sizable percentage of the Countries food, diverting some of the water from the northern part of the state was a wise decision. Remember, food grows where water flows.
California has a booming tourist industry, and the good weather and coast is a large part of that. California should have a right to protect that industry. There are several offshore platforms between Ventura and Santa Barbara pumping plenty of oil.
Wild fires out here have been happening since time began. California does a pretty good job of fire fighting.

@Flrdsgns West of which mountains? The Sierra's or the Coastal Range? The area in between makes up the central valley which...

I agree you guys fight fires courageously. There's some controversy over whether the forests are managed properly though. Specifically allowing or just providing clearing of dead fall rather than letting it be tinder for future fires.

@Budwick I agree you guys fight fires courageously. There's some controversy over whether the forests are managed properly...

Cal Fire has crews out every day clearing and back burning what they can, but the mountains are a very rugged area, no way can you clear land at a 60%+ angle, even by hand.

@Flrdsgns Cal Fire has crews out every day clearing and back burning what they can, but the mountains are a very rugged area...

I understand.
Thank you for your patience.

I would really like to visit Northern California to see the Giant Redwoods before I check out. I've seen photos, but imagine that the reality would be breathtaking.

@Budwick I understand. Thank you for your patience. I would really like to visit Northern California to see the Giant...

The Redwoods are just awe inspiring. A tree you can drive your car through, hard to even picture isn't it? The giant Sequoia's are just as magnificent in Yosemite.

I agree, Trump is hard to take and I'm actually very surprised the economy is doing so well. I would never have guessed he could be in the least effective, but it looks like I was wrong.

@Flrdsgns I agree, Trump is hard to take and I'm actually very surprised the economy is doing so well. I would never have...

I dont know what he has done for the economy. We will see. It takes time for any policy to wind up or down. We will see.
I never wish for our country to fail in any way.

Yes, you and a lot of other people could be wrong about Trump. He has done a lot of growing up, I think, in the last few years. He didn't need to run for office but saw how crazy things were going and believed he could do something about it. So far, he has gotten a lot done in spite of congress. I only hope they will start to work with him instead of attacking him constantly. They are making themselves look corrupt and polish.

@ozzyboy Yes, you and a lot of other people could be wrong about Trump. He has done a lot of growing up, I think, in the...

I hope I have been wrong, I guess time will tell, but I'll enjoy the good economy and the extra money I've been making for as long as it can continue.

Yes, you are wrong....now.

The economy started rising thanks to Obama. But it is now slowing down, and the deficit will be a trillion in the tank by next year. Where do you think the money for the tax cuts will be coming from?

The jobs added have been part time and we have too many college students working in jobs they are overqualified for.

Health care costs are spiking this year, and combine that with rising costs of gasoline and groceries and the result is that the working class are still in the same shit hole.

@dru18 Yes, you are wrong....now. The economy started rising thanks to Obama. But it is now slowing down, and the...

I have notice the gas prices going up as well as grocery costs. I don't mind paying a little more for good food, but he FDA has let us down and I have found myself looking at labels and buying more and more from European markets where they don't use so many chemicals.
I've over 65 so medicare takes care of most of my medical and the supplement insurance isn't too bad. Luckily I have access to world class health care at Cedars Sinai. I don't know what is going to happen to some of the smaller markets as health care costs keep going up.

Thanks for your input Dru, I appreciate it.

@2761263

I agree Logan, thanks for your opinion, lets hope the economy continues to do well.

foolish. I took too long to correct the last word.

Ah, yes. Buying the bullshit of economic recovery and low unemployment.
The only recovery has been for the 1% and multi-national corporations. Working Americans have gotten shit since '08.
More people are working at shitier jobs with no benefits especially in the "right to work" For Less states. More people have part time jobs and many have stopped looking for work.

Wake up! There has been no recovery and there isn't going to be one.
Between the ongoing BP gulf disaster, Fukushima, climate change denial and the man made 6th mass extinction event we are totally fucked.
If there are still humans living on the surface in 10 years I'll be amazed.

I voted for the things he said he would do.
He was a long shot, an outsider, knew how to garner media attention and get under their skin.
They still haven't figured him out. They're frustrated cuz they can't manipulate him like regular politicians.
I like what he has done so far. I'm furious with Rinos, democrats and media for making their goal in life to sink Trump without regard to America and it's citizens.

Welcome aboard Flanders!

@Budwick I voted for the things he said he would do. He was a long shot, an outsider, knew how to garner media attention and...

He hasn't done anything, Budwick. He inherited a growing economy from his predecessor. The job gains have been decreasing for four months now, and most of the jobs have been part time with wages on the low side.

Health care costs will be spiking (High) this year. Other costs are going up as well.

North Korea is pulling back from meeting Trump and the Israel/Palestinian two state solution is now in the toilet. And this is all thanks to Trump.

@dru18 He hasn't done anything, Budwick. He inherited a growing economy from his predecessor. The job gains have been...

You get + 5 points for party agenda loyalty.

They're not good for anything, but by golly, you got 'em!

@Budwick You get + 5 points for party agenda loyalty. They're not good for anything, but by golly, you got 'em!

And you get a -5 for not being better informed on what YOUR president either HASN'T DONE or totally SCREWED UP.

@2761272

I agree, he is hard to take and is kind of a pig, and probably a racist to boot, but he is holding pharma responsible for the opioid crisis and making them cough up money for treatment and not taxing the American people, and the economy is doing well and consumer confidence seems to be high. For that, I am thankful.

@2761295

Trump was fined heavily in New York for not renting to blacks.
Bill Clinton was a slimy human being also. Country did well when he was POTUS so he kind of got away with it, but he was impeached in the end. Trump may well have the same fate.

I don't care about the embassy in Israel, not my concern, and doesn't affect me.

Trump inherited a growing economy from Obama. The reason it took "so long" was because Obama inherited a recession.

There is no legislation that Trump has signed that was designed to improve the economy. And don't even go there with the tax cut because most of that has not been fully implemented.

Now Trump's stupid tariffs are threatening any gain that has been made.

Anonymous