What's a book you were made to read in school that you actually liked?

Image for post What's a book you were made to read in school that you actually liked?
ThePrinceofWaless avatar Books
9 21

In eighth grade we read...go ask alice. I think it was for cautionary purposes. But i enjoyed it at the time.
I really cant remember what else was curriculum or what i just was reading.

@2761406

Imagine that:)

I also had a cat named casey jones...

1984 by George Orwell and Les Misérables by Victor Hugo.

Probably Lord of the Flies

I can't remember a single book I had to read in school that I enjoyed, but I did like several short stories.

"O Alienista" by Machado de Assis.

It was a comical story around a psychiatrist and the definition of crazy. Super cool.

The first one I can think of just now, is Kipling's The Jungle Book, when I was was in the 6th grade. It was strongly suggested that we read it over some school holiday. As I recall, I was the only one who actually did, and I won a copy of the book.
That really bugged one of my classmates, me being the "new kid", and all. We became best friends, not long after that. :)

I was never required to read any particular book. I read books and have always done that.

I wasn't required to read any books. We had a choice of what to read, and then give a report on it. lol

Favorite childhood book? Mmm... I'd have to think about it.

The Good Earth is my all time favorite but I don't think anyone ever had to "make" me read a book.
A friend of mine asked me to read a book, The Sheep Look Down, not one that I would ever pick up, but it stayed with me these many years later.

A Tale Of Two Cities was great. Hatchet and and Where The Red Fern Grows, too.

slaughterhouse five , it was strange and different

When I was a kid, Homer had just completed the Iliad. A while later a sequel - The Odyssey came out and was all the rage. He came to speak to our class one day. I couldn't go - I had the mumps.