Piper2s avatar
12 25

Any testing can be done on rats. Poor doggies no more.

@Piper2 And poor rats.

Ever been invaded by mice or rats? All sympathy for them goes away very quickly. Thank goodness my dog has frightened or eaten them this last winter.

I clicked agree on the basis that any government that conducts experiments on animals that hurt them should be stopped. I started to read the article and if true it's disgusting. It makes me wonder if the people who instigate these kinds of test have dogs as pets for their kids and how they can look at those dogs in the eye knowing they do this. Situations like this challenge my conscience. I love dogs so would never want anything like this to happen to them, but then i hate rats and don't care at all as to what tests are done on them. So then i think, just because rats are dirty and less intelligent, do they feel less, or have less rights than our dogs? I struggle at this point, but I'm being honest sad smilie

@OzSurfer I clicked agree on the basis that any government that conducts experiments on animals that hurt them should be...

Unfortunately, that cruel and often redundant and unnecessary animal testing goes on every day, including by the government, is indisputable. Yes, it's hard to even think about their suffering.

It is my understanding, that rats are quite intelligent, and I'm sure they don't really feel less.

@Piper2 Unfortunately, that cruel and often redundant and unnecessary animal testing goes on every day, including by the...

It's true ... part of the criteria for selecting lab animals is their level of intelligence.

I have a friend I tease often, because she doesn't believe we should use intelligent animals in lab experiments - but has no problem eating calamari. She doesn't appreciate me pointing out that squids/octopi are among the most intelligent animals.

@Walt_OReagun It's true ... part of the criteria for selecting lab animals is their level of intelligence. I have a friend I...

So I've heard. Rats are often selected for more reasons than one, of course. Like the fact that they are similar to humans in some ways, including 90% of genes, supposedly.

I understand. No one likes it pointed out that pigs are among the most intelligent animals, either.

It is difficult to imagine the suffering. Anyone who knows me, knows my feelings for living creatures.
But...let's put that aside if we can...
The amount of taxpayers funds being used is outrageous. The medical and pharmaceutical and research industries make trillions of dollars. Let them do the research. But in a humane way.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +4Reply
@Carla It is difficult to imagine the suffering. Anyone who knows me, knows my feelings for living creatures. But...let's...

It surely is, Carla. I am trying to keep my own feelings about other creatures, and animal experiments in general out of this too. For now, anyway.
Yes. I hear a lot of outrage from people about their taxpayer money being spent on certain things. I brought up the billions spent annually on mostly pointless animal experiments to one of those people once.....not a peep in response, about that.

@Piper2 It surely is, Carla. I am trying to keep my own feelings about other creatures, and animal experiments in general...

Of course not, piper. Bo and you both point to so much waste. But what i hear from most are the complaints regarding welfare. And, of course, how all the illegal people here are on it....

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +2Reply
@Carla Of course not, piper. Bo and you both point to so much waste. But what i hear from most are the complaints...

Although the wasteful spending our government is undeniably guilty of is concerning, I've rarely said much about it here, myself.

Yeah, welfare..."entitlements", birth control, public broadcasting...and of course, Planned Parenthood.

@2766220

If you meant "never mind" you would never have hit the enter button.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +2Reply

If the information provided is accurate, this is horrible and of course it should be stopped.

It would explain so much about the inner-workings of the VA though. Just says so much about the humanity of an individual that they could do something so cruel, and seemingly unnecessary, to an innocent life.

@ForkNdaRoad If the information provided is accurate, this is horrible and of course it should be stopped. It would explain so...

As far the amount of government funding that goes towards often pointless animal "testing" in general, I'm fairly certain the figure is close.
Considering what I've been reading through the years about animal research, from numerous sources, I do not doubt what is going on at the VA.
https://www.militarytimes.com/n...e-experiments/

@2766213

They surely do. That is why I wonder why I seldom hear them lament about this particular thing.

If not for so many people on death row who have been found innocent of their accused crimes, I might agree.

Mammals are generally the major victim of choice for animal research, for obvious reasons. I have no doubt, that they feel everything you mentioned.

That's what the government want you to think.