I know we have several folks on here that are WWII buffs. This book was a very interesting read with much of it fact based from interviews with women from the Red Army 588th Night Bomber Regiment. It also documents the trials of women's struggles to contribute to the war effort in Russia. I highly recommend it.

I just picked this up last week and had trouble putting it down. I think a lot of our independent women would find it very interesting too. :)

Daughters of the Night SkyA novel--inspired by the most celebrated regiment in the Red Army--about a woman's sacrifice, courage, and love in a time of war. Russia, 1941. Katya Ivanova is a young pilot in a far-flung military academy in the Ural Mountains. From childhood, she's dreamed of taking to the skies to escape her bleak mountain life. With the Nazis on the march across Europe, she is called on to use her wings to serve her country in its darkest hour. Not even the entreaties of her new husband--a sensitive artist who fears for her safety--can dissuade her from doing her part as a proud daughter of Russia. After years of arduous training, Katya is assigned to the 588th Night Bomber Regiment--one of the only Soviet air units composed entirely of women. The Germans quickly learn to fear nocturnal raids by the daring fliers they call "Night Witches." But the brutal campaign will exact a bitter toll on Katya and her sisters-in-arms. When the smoke of war clears, nothing will ever be the...https://books.google.com/books/about/Daughters_of_the_Night_Sky.html?id=BUIvswEACAAJ
67% This is my review: 33% Other
Will_Janitors avatar
9 14

Thanks for the tip ... I will check it out! a smilie

Yes, they called them : The Night Witches. I haven't read that particular book but I know about them and their night raids. We even incorporated them into one of our DLCs. Panzerkrieg.

@2761952

There was one called Pretty Birds about the Serbs and Muslims, but I haven't seen one for the WWII era.

Thanks Will, sounds like something I would like. There are a lot of strong women in his world.

I'm not sure I'd qualify as a WWII buff, but I've enjoyed the fact-based literature I've read concerning it. I appreciate the recommendation.

Had to shoot them down! LOL

@2761988

The Luftwaffe prevailed!

Biggles was the true hero of my childhood.

And he was a fictional character.

I'm just glad, that choppers can land with the auto. That's both a curse and a blessing.

ZonkeyBallss avatar ZonkeyBalls This is my review: +2Reply

clap smilie

Mashas avatar Masha This is my review: +2Reply

Thinkerbells avatar Thinkerbell This is my review: -1Reply