Putting together a summer reading list for my preteen son... Any 'rite of passage' suggestions? List your must-reads, please.

He's a fairly strong reader, so preferably something challenging. We're out of "good fits" at the school library. I've suggested Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, as a point of reference. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!

Image for post Putting together a summer reading list for my preteen son... Any 'rite of passage' suggestions?  List your must-reads, please.
ForkNdaRoads avatar Books
5 52
@2766988

lmao, You're incorrigible... Thank you :)

Have spacesuit will travel. An oldie but goodie from Robert Heinlein.

Harry potter book one is pretty innocent.

@VicZinc Have spacesuit will travel. An oldie but goodie from Robert Heinlein. Harry potter book one is pretty innocent.

I love Heinlein, that's a great suggestion!

He's read all the Harry Potter books, he'd read them all again if I allowed it :)

@VicZinc I really liked// Podkayne of Mars// and Citizen of the Galaxy at that age too.

I know he'd enjoy Citizen of the Galaxy, both really.

Hey thanks Vic, those are perfect!

Are you looking at paper only or eBooks as well? If you like eBooks, there are 57,000, including all the classics, free, on gutenberg.org. All you have to do is pick a genre and download all you want. (Yes, it's all legal and legit. All the books are in the public domain.)

@JustJimColo Are you looking at paper only or eBooks as well? If you like eBooks, there are 57,000, including all the classics...

He has audible and other apps on his tablet. I'm open to everything but audio books, he needs to do the actual reading.Also, I think he would read it more often in book form because he can take that with him places he isn't allowed to carry devices.

Example: Summer camp is strictly device-free.

Thanks for the great suggestions :)

@ForkNdaRoad He has audible and other apps on his tablet. I'm open to everything but audio books, he needs to do the actual...

Talk to the local library. Yes librarians still can guide you to books. Then you can borrow it.. just remember if the book gets trashed you will have to pay for it.

@ForkNdaRoad Yeah, we love our local library. They know us well.

ForkRoad Good I can't believe the real library hasn't got books for your son. Maybe sit down with the research librarian for good ideas. I know a buddy of mine started reading a series and kept at it all his life. Get into a good series and you always know what they want for xmas or other gifts. We were hooked on vampire chronicles, but that is silly for your son I hope you find a series that can keep his interest forever. , Good Luck to you both.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred ForkRoad Good I can't believe the real library hasn't got books for your son. Maybe sit down with the...

His school library is a bit limited. Our local library is far superior. He's run out of "good fit" options at his school library.

I prefer to go to the local library with an idea of what I want otherwise, we'll just wander all day. I'm okay with that, lol, but I can't really afford to lately. :)

@ForkNdaRoad His school library is a bit limited. Our local library is far superior. He's run out of "good fit" options at his...

OK fork I understand how hard it is to find a book in the library - ours always got books for you in the past now we have to go find them myself. I get lost in those stacks. Good Luck

@2767124

Good call, thank you!

@2767161

I'm a huge Paulsen fan! I introduced him to Hatchet in the 4th grade and he returned to the library, checked out: Bryan's Winter, Bryan's Hunt, The River and Bryan Returns; and devoured them.

Those are exactly his style book. Thanks FR, I appreciate that!

@2767423

Nice, that's exactly the book I suggested to him!

Great minds and all that jazz :)

@2767786

He'll be doing plenty of that too. I see no reason he can't do both. Especially with as hot as it gets here. He needs some down time and that can't consist of nothing but video games, you know?

@ForkNdaRoad He'll be doing plenty of that too. I see no reason he can't do both. Especially with as hot as it gets here. He...

As a son, I'm gonna have to completely disagree with you on that one maniac smilie ... some days they can and should consist of nothing but video games! mischief smilie

hehe smilie, but you know... maybe I'm just a little bit biased xp smilie

@ForkNdaRoad Every once in a while I don't mind, but not on a daily. And definitely not often :)

Haha smile smilie I just had to speak up and defend those once in a while video game days smile smilie

Maybe he could cook for the family to take a break on those days smile smilie, with some help, but get his mind on something else for a little while too, at least if he wants to learn how to cook.

@2767786

Who says they can't do both?

I'm not sure these are the best books, but two that stood out in my mind were

Slaughterhouse-Five and the The Kite Runner

Though you might want to read them both first before passing them along to your son, as Slaughterhouse-Five at times is just plain weird, and sometimes needs help explaining certain things, or exploring what different things it might mean, because it's purposely out-there both to let your mind wandered a bit but all make you think the writer is a bit nuts.

And The Kite Runner has some a lot of bad... before sort of making a U-turn at the end for a semi good feeling story at the end, sorta giving it this, out of all these horrible events, something good can happen. But by bad, if I remember correctly, it might cover a bully-raping a kid. Which at the time, I freaking hated reading... and not sure you want your son to read/know about that kind of thing yet.

I also always seem to hear Fahrenheit 451 is a good one, though I don't think I've read it myself.

I'd look into something like banned books, just to see if there is something interesting - though know why it was banned first
http://www.neatorama.com/2011/0...ed-in-the-u-s/

1. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury Fahrenheit

2. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

3. Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

4. Where's Waldo? by Martin Handford

5. The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

6. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

7. The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling

8. Little Red Riding Hood

9. Sleeping Beauty

10. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

11. Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh

12. Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

@ForkNdaRoad Some of those he's already read. Thanks for the suggestions :)

You're welcome.

And I don't know about right now, but maybe in the future, maybe this book xp smilie

@ForkNdaRoad Ha! Mom has him covered there :)

I bet she does, I just thought it'd be a funny reminder xp smilie and maybe a good book smile smilie

And it's not like it's a Kama Sutra book or something xp smilie

Has he read lord of the flies yet?

@Carla Has he read lord of the flies yet?

No, that's actually something he'd probably enjoy too. Thanks Carla :)

Here are a few suggestions.

1) "The Alienist" by Machado de Assis - A book by a famous Brazilian (my country) author. It centers around a psychiatrist and the definition of crazy. The plot is pretty funny. Luckily, there is an English edition available. - https://www.amazon.com/Alienist.../dp/161219107X

Machado de Assis has some very good novels too, and I believe most (if not all) of them have English translations.

2) The Robot series by Isaac Asimov (I've only read the short stories, but I really liked them).

3) "Night on the Galactic Railroad" - by Kenji Miyazawa. - https://www.amazon.com/Galactic.../dp/1935548352 (the book in this Amazon link actually contains a collection of stories, including the one I mentioned. But I know the other stories, and they happen to be pretty nice too.)

Now, this is probably not for a preteen, but...

4) "Kokoro" (Heart) by Natsume Soseki. This is definitely not a light story, since it centers around the topic of suicide. Plus, although I really like it today, I don't think I would have enjoyed it as a preteen (because of the heavy emotional weight of the story). But people are different. So, I'm listing it here just in case. - https://www.amazon.com/Kokoro-N.../dp/1420948423

@primeiro Here are a few suggestions. 1) "The Alienist" by Machado de Assis - A book by a famous Brazilian (my country)...

Wow, you really put a lot of thought into that Primeiro, thank you :)

I think we should be able to find these relatively easily.

@ForkNdaRoad Wow, you really put a lot of thought into that Primeiro, thank you :) I think we should be able to find these...

You're very welcome, I hope you all enjoy those. :)

AHH, I just remembered another one that might be good. Don't know how I forgot it in the first place.

"Sophie's World" by Jostein Gaarder.

This was actually recommended by a Philosophy teacher in high-school (and I eventually read it after high-school). It's 50% a philosophy lesson and 50% a crazy, funny adventure, so I think it's a good mix between challenging and fun. :)

https://www.amazon.com/Sophies-.../dp/0374530718

@2767206

He's a boy scout, so... Fat lot of good it will do me when I'm searching the area the next day while he's probably made his way home and is sitting on the couch laughing at the thought of me thinking I tricked him into thinking I left him in the woods.

@2767236

There will be no coed scout events. Gonna be awful hard to get pregnant.

Course, I'm sure the states currently lying to young women about their right to acquire birth control will happily blame non-existent coed events in the scouts for their exploding teen pregnancy rates.

@2767264

Maybe check the BSA site then. Or at the very least, stop reading whichever one misinformed you and has you repeating half truths.

As a member of BSA leadership, I can tell you a few things with certainty:

Women and girls have always been allowed at cub events, but there's no camping at cub events. There are no coed camping events in boy scouts, none, zero, that is the total number of coed camping events.

Girls can earn the rank of eagle now... In an all female, girl troop that abides the same leadership guidelines as every other troop.

I'm more concerned about inappropriate adult contact with my scout than I am potentially unwanted pregnancy resulting from coed camp-outs that don't exist in boy scouts.

And as a responsible adult I can assure that:

Condoms aren't bad, they prevent the spread of disease. Although birth control is more effective at preventing unwanted pregnancy than condoms, precisely why it shouldn't be withheld from young ladies who are sexually active.

But especially not by the very people claiming abortion is an abomination. That's just twisted.

Now, if you have no books to suggest to me, perhaps I may suggest some light reading for you? Start with the Youth protection training manual all scouts and scout leadership must read before attending any scout event. Perhaps that will dispel any other misconceptions you have about the organization.

@2767755

Are you unaware the WSO and BSA are two different things. Trail Life USA is a church program with no direct affiliation to scouts. Sheesh, where do you find this tripe?

The BSA isn't the one providing the condoms so how could they possibly be facilitating or anticipating anything?

Nice try at conflation. And nice of you to smear a good organization you admittedly have no knowledge or experience with.

@2767769

Whatever you say man...

The Devil's Arithmetic by Jan Yolen