LOADED QUESTIONS Entertaining or Dangerous?

Even our best friends can be jerks sometimes. Let's say you get a bad grade in a class and your snarky friend says: 'have you stopped cheating on tests?' Of course, you probably wouldn't say 'no,' which would imply you cheated on your most recent test. But if you were to simply answer 'yes,' you would be implying that you've most likely cheated on tests in the past. No matter what you say, it sounds like you've been cheating. Such interrogatives are known as complex or loaded questions, which are questions based on falsehoods or unfounded presumptions.

Loaded questions are a type of logical fallacy, a faulty course of reasoning. In the case of loaded questions, the interrogator's logic is flawed when he or she poses a question that is grounded in something that is speculative at best or patently untrue. Take, for instance: 'have you stopped cheating on tests?' The logical fallacy here is founded on the (probably) false assertion or assumption that you have been cheating on tests, most likely sometime in the recent past.

Questions like these are dangerous not only because they're based in falsehood but because they're also typically answerable only by 'yes' or 'no.' This presents a problem since these are also known as 'complex' questions because they commonly consist of multiple questions in one, thus their common Latin designation: plurium interrogationum, meaning 'from many questions.'

Looking again to the cheating question, maybe you never cheated on a test, so you want to say 'no,' but that simple answer isn't enough. You would have to say: 'no, I never cheated on any of my tests.' Say, however, you did answer 'yes.' You might then go on to explain that you've stopped cheating on tests, but you only did it once and it was a long time ago. In both cases, you had to add extra explanations.

Loaded Question: Definition & Examples - Video & Lesson Transcript | Study.comThey might seem harmless, but loaded questions can be almost as treacherous as a loaded gun. Find out more about these rhetorical assassins in this...https://study.com/academy/lesson/loaded-question-definition-examples.htmlImage for post LOADED QUESTIONS Entertaining or Dangerous?
46% Loaded questions are often devious means to advance an agenda 0% Loaded questions are fun to ask to make others appear stupid. 15% Loaded questions, at their root, are dishonest. 8% What are loaded questions? 0% Loaded questions are a good way to entrap debate opponents 31% Other
Budwicks avatar Animals & Nature
7 29

I prefer clarity and honesty myself.

Budwicks avatar Budwick Loaded questions, at their root, are dishonest. +3Reply
@2767017

Cool.
My spidey senses are tingling. Are you unhappy about me copying the paragraphs from that article?

Budwicks avatar Budwick Loaded questions, at their root, are dishonest. +1Reply
@2767019

I'm sorry to have disappointed you.
I'll be more attentive - honestly.

Budwicks avatar Budwick Loaded questions, at their root, are dishonest. 0Reply

I don't cheat. Too simple?

@Arachnia I don't cheat. Too simple?

Not at all! It's the perfect response IMHO

@2767312

Whoa! I seemed to have touched a nerve.
Sounds like that boil has been festering a while.

It's not my place I suppose, but remember, these folks are family.

You have my sympathy regarding the situation.

@2767851

Jeez! - What a cu...
You know what, I and every other moral person will be looking over to the left for a few moments. [Wow, it's kind of loud all of a sudden - can't hear a thing!]

Would you be a lamb and pick up that 2X4 over there at your cousins feet?

Budwicks avatar Budwick Loaded questions, at their root, are dishonest. +2Reply
@Budwick Jeez! - What a cu... You know what, I and every other moral person will be looking over to the left for a few...

Sometimes a two by four would be to kind. These supposedly "healthy, weight" folks think they have right to point out how sickly I look. I've stayed quiet way to long. I find a way to point out to them. Stating its a wonderful thing to be able to eat what I want, without putting on weight. I've filled out considerably since teen years. I still remain thin and fit. When I make the food comments. It shuts them up. Lol

@2767851

I grew up very skinny. People who are obese don't see this as a problem. I had was labeled with horrible nicknames. Bone,anorexic, spider girl. Those names can be just as hurtful as calling someone fat. I no longer allow this behavior. I speak out. I'm careful not to resort to telling them they are fat fucks. That would be hypocritical of what I'm trying to change.😊

It's called "Tongue-in-Cheek", a concept that nobody gets anymore because they are so full of themselves. People on line think they are the smartest beings on the planet (because they have Google) , ever fearful of being mistaken, and are totally incapable of laughing at themselves or the world surrounding them. EVERYTHING is a serious life or death issue.

YAWNNNNNnnnn....

@Budwick Thanks! I like the angle you are looking at the problem with.

Why do you think nobody is answering this question? Because it's not on their "intellectual" radar.
They'll need to analyze it for 4 hours, Google 'statistics' for 6 hours, so they may make an "intelligent" decision, analyze for 4 more, and then come up with an answer like "Maybe", or "it depends on this , that, or the other thing". This way , they can't be wrong!! LOL!! What a crew. lol Can't just answer a simple fkn question.

@VooDooYoo Why do you think nobody is answering this question? Because it's not on their "intellectual" radar. They'll...

I think it's a time of day thing. I've found that things are kind of slow M-F 8AM - 3PM

Loaded questions only stump those who fall for them.

If it came from my best friend I would assume it was a joke and laugh.

@2771567

Exactly! Spot on point!
It's really good to see you Prodigal! You tend to make REALLY good, well worded comments.

A well known and widely used mechanism of our justice system.

The other one of interest is the Delphi System. Otherwise known as "The Way of the Bureaucrat".

Bc loaded questions depend on the question.

First off, I dislike how answers won't let you see the whole answer.

Second, I think loaded questions can be both entertaining can dangerous. Depending on the source and intent.

Zolfies avatar Zolfie Loaded questions are often devious means to... 0Reply
Anonymous