+5

I am struggling with depression and panic attacks lately and i find every little thing so difficult to do. Even to get up and go to work seems like sooooo difficult. I am trying to find a way out of this. Any suggestions on how to control my thoughts? I have been told that every feeling is there because of a certain thought even if i do not realise it.

Sopairp6s avatar People & Celebrities
4 19

So sorry you're going through this. I know it can be devastating. My advice would be to see a doctor or a therapist/counselor. Don't try to cure yourself....it doesn't work.

I've been there.. where just breathing is an effort.

My primary advice would be to get professional help if your depression persists.

Aside from that I can offer something for you to peruse. It's a list of cognitive distortions that I've found quite helpful.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t...t3z8r4IXiNeIB2

Good luck.

1) Understand that you are alone.
2) Understand that even with other people around you, you are alone.
3) Remember to breathe, preferably with your own lungs, unless you have had a transplant.

I have been struggling with panic disorder for 25+ years, even before anybody could point a finger at it. So... Just be alone in your head. Your extremities will follow you.

@2767906

Vitamins, are you freakin' insane? Oh, forgot whom I was... Never mind. Be happy with those pills. Vade retro, Satana.

@2768017

Vitamin d3 is also very important to ward off depression. If you dont get enough sunlight, it is important to make it a part of a daily vitamin routine.

@2768017

Drink booze, care less, die young.

Do not fart, when you are being cremated. That's a bad omen.

What I've seen help with depression most, is finding someone you can/will have open conversations with, that you can tell them anything and REALLY TALK to them, express yourself and find an activity that brings some energy to you.

Plus some of the other stuff people have said on here... about seeing a Professional, getting out in the sun (doing some fun things) and eating right.

Hi.

I’ve posted about depression before on this website. Depression is a very common condition and it can happen to anyone. People with depression cannot control it with just their willpower, by just pulling together.

It’s alright and like I said, depression is common. Please do not feel afraid of seeing a proper psychiatrist.Although all I suffered from was exam anxiety, I have been to a psychiatrist as often as twice a year for the last few years and she was really sypportive. There are a few medical conditions that sometimes underlie depression, the treatment of which is necessary and also alleviates depression and only your doctor can rule those out(and you, to a fair extent).

• Activate your social life and join family gatherings and friends, visit neighbours.
    – Try to start again (or continue) activities that were previously pleasurable.
    – Try to maintain regular sleeping and waking times.
    – Try to be as physically active as possible.
    – Try to eat regularly despite changes in appetite.
    – Try to spend time with trusted friends and family.
    – Try to participate in community and other social activities as much as possible.

If psychosocial intervention doesn’t work, your doctor may step up and add drugs, which are again normal, there’s no problem being on antidepressants. Being mentally sound is as important as being physically so.

(mhGAP)

Keep yourself busy, best with work. Don't think about doing things later just say now and get to it. It won't go away easily and must be fought all the time.

Do you eat a healthy/well balanced diet? Exercise? Drink lots of water? If not, try it for a couple of months. Often, the way people feel depends on what they put or do not put into their bodies. Food allergies can screw you up too and can be found through blood tests. My son started eating right and working out along with abstaining from foods he is allergic too and his life is turned around.

Thank you all for your kind suggestions! I am seeing a psychiatrist ofcourse. I am not seeking for answers here as some of you may think. I am just seeking for people who suffer or have suffered in the past and would be kind to share their experience and how they dealt with it. That's all. Among all I hope to be able to get out of depression and panic attacks and stop the antidepressants without having a nervous breakdown. The last time i quit on antidepressants i had a nervous breakdown and i am trying to recover from it ever since.
It is hard but those 2 months i spent without pills i saw my real self. Everything seemed clearer and it was like i was feeling every single thing so much more fierce. I do not know if anyone else has ever felt that way.

@Sopairp6 Thank you all for your kind suggestions! I am seeing a psychiatrist ofcourse. I am not seeking for answers here as...

Did you taper off your antidepressants slowly? It is usual for people to break down if they stop antidepressants all of a sudden.

I have never been on antidepressants but one of my aunts has been on them for the last couple of years. Once, she lost her prescription and they refused to dispense the antidepressants. For some reason, she thought she could just not buy them. I remember she had panic attacks and she would cry when we talked to her on the phone.My grandmother had to go live with her until she later revealed to us that she had not bought her medicines for quite some time.

@ZaraZooper Did you taper off your antidepressants slowly? It is usual for people to break down if they stop antidepressants...

yes i did it very slowly. but if the problem hasn't been dealt deep inside and with yourself it comes back twice as intence without the antidepressants.

@Sopairp6 yes i did it very slowly. but if the problem hasn't been dealt deep inside and with yourself it comes back twice as...

Something for sure is bothering you; whatever it is I hope and pray you find your way out of depression very soon.I know I’m a complete stranger but If you ever need to talk to someone about something, you can always drop me a message. smile smilie