A Success Story! Jesse was a chicken pluck-er. That's right. He stood on a line in a chicken factory and spent his days Pulling the feathers off dead chickens so the rest of us wouldn't have to. It wasn't much of a job. But at the time, Jesse didn't think he was much of a person. His father was a brute of a man. His dad was actually thought to be mentally ill and treated Jesse rough all of his life. Jesse's older brother wasn't much better. He was always picking on Jesse and beating him up. Yes, Jesse grew up in a very rough home in West Virginia. Life was anything but easy. He thought life didn't hold much hope for him. That's why he was standing in this chicken line, doing a job that darn few people wanted. In addition to all the rough treatment at home, it seems that Jesse was always sick. Sometimes it was real physical illness, but way too often it was all in his head. He was a small child, skinny and meek. That sure didn't help the situation any. When he started to school, he was the object of every bully on the playground. He was a hypochondriac of the first order. For Jesse, tomorrow was not always something he looked forward to. But, he had dreams. He wanted to be a ventriloquist. He found books on ventriloquism. He practiced with sock puppets and saved his hard earned dollars until he could get a real ventriloquist dummy. When he got old enough, he joined the military. Even though many of his hypochondriac symptoms persisted, the military did recognize his talents and put him in the entertainment corp. That was when his world changed and he gained confidence. He found that he had a talent for making people laugh, and laugh so hard they often had tears in their eyes. Yes, little Jesse had found himself. You know, folks, the history books are full of people who overcame a handicap to go on and make a success of themselves, but Jesse is one of the few I know of who didn't overcome it. Instead he used his paranoiato make a million dollars, and become one of the best-loved characters of all time in doing it! Yes, that little paranoid hypochondriac, who transferred his nervousness into a successful career, still holds the record for the most Emmy's given in a single category. The wonderful, gifted, talented, and nervous comedian who brought us Barney Fife was: Jesse Don Knotts. NOW YOU KNOW "THE REST OF THE STORY" There is a street named for him and his statue in Morgantown, West Virginia, his place of birth. Jesse Donald "Don" Knotts (July 21, 1924 - February 24, 2006)

We all loved him as Barney Fife of the Andy Griffin Show.

I had no idea of his early beginnings.

StarzAboves avatar Religion
4 24
The people are still deciding if StarzAbove is right or wrong. Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Great show. I loved ole Barney.

@BarbOBarr Great show. I loved ole Barney.

Me too, he played the part to perfection.

I had no idea. He was a skinny little guy, for sure.
His nervous humor, though, was distracting to me.

@DandyDon

Him, i liked. What a voice!

@Carla Him, i liked. What a voice!

He always sang "Back Home Again in Indiana" at the 500 Mile Race until just a few years ago, when he was too sick to come. He had a great voice.

@StarzAbove He always sang "Back Home Again in Indiana" at the 500 Mile Race until just a few years ago, when he was too sick...

When i was a kid, i knew him as gomer pyle. The first time i heard him sing, i hardly believed it was him.:)

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Jim Neighbors had a deep singing voice didn't he? How did they know it was the last time? ...

Yes, he did, and he played Gomer Pyle on the Andy Griffith show along with Don Knotts. He had cancer and decided it was his last performance.

OK that was long but I never knew anything about don knots Didn't even know he was gone.

Don Knotts I never knew he had problems, he seemed smart enough just thought he played kookie characters. Now he is dead everyone from my childhood tv shows are dead. lolwut smilie

Anonymous