+3

Saturday Night Live is overhyped, amirite?

Image for post Saturday Night Live is overhyped, amirite?
Zolfies avatar TV, Movies & Theatre
10 27

I don't remember the last time I watched it.

I rarely watch any network tv.
If one of those channels has a football game I want to watch, that's about it.

As for entertainment or news...never.

Searching the internet for SNL videos is something that never crosses my mind....except for now....and now it's gone.

DandyDons avatar DandyDon Yeah You Are +8Reply

It was a great show once. Now I rarely think to turn it on.

Need to stay up and watch this on my USTV app.

@ThePrinceofWales Need to stay up and watch this on my USTV app.

Are you not in the US? Or just new with the app?

Zolfies avatar Zolfie Yeah You Are +1Reply
@Zolfie Are you not in the US? Or just new with the app?

I'm in Wales.i signed up to a service called USTVNow which allows American citizens to watch live TV from New York when abroad.You getvABC,NBC,CBS,Fox and one or two other channels.More if you pay a subscription.Anyone can do it-all you have to do is click the box which asks if you are an American citizen.I can get ESPN on another service I have for free.
Of course prime time is the middle of the night here.

@ThePrinceofWales I'm in Wales.i signed up to a service called USTVNow which allows American citizens to watch live TV from New York...

Good to know, I would sure enjoy my sports (NFL).

I know a guy that lives in China watches, maybe that's how...

@ThePrinceofWales I have an NFL game pass for the football.

Is that free? Or you got to pay?

I just think I've heard those outside the US can get some stuff free, because it's outside their normal market place.

@Zolfie Is that free? Or you got to pay? I just think I've heard those outside the US can get some stuff free, because...

I have to pay-but I can watch any game or red zone,get NFL network and every game condensed down to forty minutes on a Monday.i really have it so I can watch all the Packers games.

@ThePrinceofWales I have to pay-but I can watch any game or red zone,get NFL network and every game condensed down to forty minutes...

Packers! biggrin smilie

Yeah I know what you mean, it sucks that they don't always show all the games on normal broadcast so I can watch all them normally on TV.

Zolfies avatar Zolfie Yeah You Are 0Reply

I watched a fair bit of SNL growing up in the 80s. A lot of it was crap, but some of it was funny. By my mid 20s, I had more or less forgotten about the show.

A while back I saw a skit with Alec Baldwin playing Trump. He was responding to an extraterrestrial invasion. I found Baldwin's portrayal of Trump distasteful, and even worse, unfunny. I think genuinely funny satire comes from a place of affection, and they didn't have enough affection for Trump to do good satire about him. The skit came off as mean spirited to me rather than just poking fun. But that's the state of msm comedy these days, laughs take a backseat to politics.

Is SNL overhyped? Not in my experience, I haven't heard any hype about them in ages.

Lost my interest years ago.

Azlottos avatar Azlotto Yeah You Are +4Reply
@2768632

I wasn't talking politics, just rarely have I found that it has been as good as the hype around it.

@2768821

Yes they must be... But I don't understand what... I always seem to leave disappointed that it wasn't better, when I do see it.

Overhyped? No. Hardly anyone talks about it. I watch it (nearly) every week and have since the first episode. Is it overrated? Again, not really, most people take it for what it is in the moment. It's really value is a generator (or perhaps curator) of talent - it continuously perculates some of the best comedic personalities in history from Martin Short (neutral) to Dennis Miller (right wing) to Chris Rock (centrists) to Tina Fey (left wing)

I've only watched it a few times, in fact I don't even know what time it comes on.

@Zolfie Night tim, on Saturday silly

hahah You're the silly one, 7, 8, 10, 11, lol I know it's on Saturday....silly. lol

@StarzAbove hahah You're the silly one, 7, 8, 10, 11, lol I know it's on Saturday....silly. lol

It all depends on your time zone of course tongue smilie ... the further west, the sooner the time!

But 11:30 ET (Eastern)

@2769177

Just to be clear, I meant in recent years...

It's got a great brand name, but the recent/current business doesn't live up to the brand name IMO.

Anonymous