Betcha Roseanne Barr thought she could give the masses a lame-oh! apology on twitter and go on being as obnoxious and racist as she wanted. Expressing what you want can have big time consequences.

Not much to explain. The web has made it easy to be as insensitive as you want since you don't get to look at real faces when you say what you say.

ABC cancels show after Roseanne Barr's racist twitter thread - The Washington PostAfter targeting Chelsea Clinton, George Soros and Valerie Jarrett — and facing calls for her show's cancellation — the comedian retreats. " I am now leaving Twitter,” she says.https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/reliable-source/wp/2018/05/29/roseanne-went-on-a-vitriolic-and-racially-charged-twitter-rampage-now-shes-apologizing/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.8ad3f1618f1cImage for post Betcha Roseanne Barr thought she could give the masses a lame-oh! apology on twitter and go on being as obnoxious and racist as she wanted.  Expressing what you want can have big time consequences.
SynysterSissys avatar
8 81
@2770797

You're 100% correct. I think she thought her celebrity status would let her say and do anything she wanted. Well she got surprised today.

Even others on that show were disgusted by her comments.

She's a vile and disgusting person, and she should never have had a TV show to begin with. There was nothing funny about her show at all.

@2771066

They did the right thing....enough is enough. Now she's claiming she didn't know Valerie is black. That's what liars do when they get caught. Straight out of Trump's playbook.

@2771504

Of course, some play the victim when they get blocked, and they conveniently forget the reason they were blocked in the first place.

@2771899

That's great that you don't block, and I only block with very good reasons, and those blocked know exactly why they were blocked. But that doesn't mean they will always stay blocked, in fact I have unblocked quite a few people....

@2772533

I've found that women on this site get treated quite differently than the men. If we block, they call us crybabies, etc. Nothing is said about the men who block, and believe me there are many men on this site who have blocked me..... I'm blocked by men more than I am women.

@2772624

...and because you're a gentleman.....

@2770797

I only watched the first time. So I don't know what went wrong.

@2771071

xather - I found out what she did later. She was a big ugly fooljolly smilie

@2771088

...and her ignorance. She's disgusting and always has been. Now where is her loyal fan, the president. lol lol He put his money on the worst person ever, and now he's laying low. lol As usual it just show the president has poor judgement.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred xather - I found out what she did later. She was a big ugly fool

Exactly. And as usual there are those who are defending her. Evidently they are just like her....racists, etc.

@2771064

Yep she screwed them up - it must have taken a lot to get all those people back and now every schedule is messed up for them. The show wouldn't have lasted anyhow as times have changed that family was no longer interesting..

@2770996

They don't say racist things about black people on the view or whoopie will whoop em.

@2770942

Wonder if they could do the show without her?

@2772540

Your president likes to talk dirty too.

@2770958

Yes NM at least OB is gone and we no longer need to worry about him. Glad OB and his bunch is out at least we know trump is american. Let us hope he stays that way.

@2773771

Is this what you are talking about?

Entirely possible that she found nothing wrong whatsoever with her comment.

Even more likely, she's not alone, a large group of people fail to see what was wrong with her comments as well.

The up side is they make it easy to identify them...

@ForkNdaRoad Entirely possible that she found nothing wrong whatsoever with her comment. Even more likely, she's not alone, a...

fork I can't think she didn't know, unless she is really stupid. She must have thought her big show gave her protection against everything. HA HA now she knows she isn't such a big deal anymore. jolly smilie

@2771498

Hahaha I've noticed. Posting anon is a joke, we always know who they are....they aren't fooling anyone. lol

@2771868

I sleep very well, too. If this site kept me awake, I wouldn't log on each day.

@StarzAbove Hahaha I've noticed. Posting anon is a joke, we always know who they are....they aren't fooling anyone. lol

Starz - I don't know who they are cause I skip everything without a real member profile. So they don't do anything to me but waste time deleting any comment I might have made before looking.

@2774507

CT I wonder why accounts aren't thrown out after no use. I don't know who that is you are talking about . Oh well, I don't try to remember faceless internet peoplejolly smilie

@2774650

CT sorry sweetie I can hardly remember my own name - such an airhead I am.

@2774705

CT Yes I am a complete air head can't even go outside when the wind is blowing right through my ears. Why did and you change your name anyhow? I would love to be just raine1200 but they put all that other junk into my name - reason unknown. I know you now as chuck tom hope you will stay as chuck tom for a long time.biggrin smilie

@2774727

haha pretty funny . I might but I would miss people who I kinda feel I know. Like you.

I didn't find rosan's actual twitter thing, but it was talking about a woman in the obama administration she roseanne said crazy things about the woman being an offspring of muslim and planet of the apes. That is just nuts to start with and she should have known with the way things are today - you just do not say anything like that. That isn't even funny. Guess rosanne has now sealed her own doom, nobody will allow her to work again. Much like Kramer from Seinfeld got himself banned from all and everything.

I have mixed feelings about the show being canceled, and this flurry of public condemnation for Barr. Yeah, it was definitely an offensive tweet...seemed to be "racist", even. Evidently far from the first offensive sort of thing Ms Roseanne has tweeted, though.

I rarely watched the original show, but I was curious about this new one. I like the idea of it...and I like some of the actors who were on it. Never have cared for Barr. Roseanne has always been pretty nutty, and ABC had to know that. I understand that they had every right to cancel the show. I understand that normalizing and just dismissing the really ugly things some people say is not okay. Actual racism sickens me, and always has. Where do we draw the line though, about this rush to ruin and shut up those who say something "inappropriate", I wonder.

@2771876

Yes...no wonder.

It's a shame that one person can cause a few hundred people to lose their job. It was Memorial Day weekend, was Rosanne drunk or does she always shoot her mouth off like that?
ABC had every right to cancel her show, and it will cost them a lot of money since the show was very popular, so hat off to Disney for putting decency over money.
That said, why hasn't Joy Behar (sp) been fired for the garbage that comes out of her mouth? Joy is every bit as offensive as Rosanne is.

ABC hit the jackpot with the Rosanne show, I hope they realize that the premise is a successful one, a conservative show that also shows the other side. I hope they can use this formula on a new show, one with a "star" not as racist as Rosanne.

Freedom of speech, I don't agree with what she did but she had all the rights in the world to say it. ABC has talk show hosts that run down Christians and other politicians etc.. the one woman Whoppie- wore a shirt with oboma shooting his brains out. What I say is, ABC and hypocrisy at its finest.

Sorry but that is a hoax that was all over the news. Fact check yourself but here's some links to start off with.

http://www.politifact.com/truth...rump-doctored/

Common sense tells me not to be a racist or use free speech as a licence to say whatever, especially when I know it’s wrong and harmful to boot.

Since that seems to work with some others, I'm not surprise if she actually thought she could get away with it.

"In one of the tweets, Barr wrote, "Muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj." Barr was responding to a comment about Valerie Jarrett, a top former aide to President Obama."

OK, I get it, freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say what you want!
Oh wait, yes it does.

Well, if the NFL is gonna make it's employees stand or not show up to disrespect the national anthem while on the clock,
Then Rosanne can't say what she wants during her personal time.

I give up - I can't seem to twist this around to make sense to me.
I was never a Roseanne fan. And, she made a tasteless joke. I can see who a tight assed corporation like ABC would over react and take down a conservative leaning show. They did the same thing to Tim Allen - for different reasons. My point is, I don't really have a dog in this fight except for Freedom of Speech. And the left has found a way to take it away and make you feel good about it too! You've been played.

@Budwick "In one of the tweets, Barr wrote, "Muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj." Barr was responding to...

I just don't see this as a freedom of speech issue. Rosanne isn't going to jail, she doesn't have to pay any restitution, she is free to say whatever she wants. The company she works for also has the right to have a code of conduct, and they have the right to fire an employee for any number of reasons.
The NFL is simply setting up a rule in their league that political protests during the anthem will no longer be tolerated.

@Flrdsgns I just don't see this as a freedom of speech issue. Rosanne isn't going to jail, she doesn't have to pay any...

You're probably right - not a Freedom of Speech issue.
More like an employment issue.
I suppose an employer can fire you if you say something publicly that's embarrassing to the employer.

So, I suppose we can assume that TBS agrees with Samantha Bee. BTW - She is supposed to be awarded by the Television Academy for 'advancing social change'.

From my perspective, there is tremendous inconsistency.

Right now it's conservatives under persecution. Other times and places different groups found themselves persecuted. In some of those cases people witnessing the persecution remained silent or sometimes even jumped in to help the persecution along.

I don't have a solution - only my own observation.

And, I'm still thrilled over discussing our disagreements vs throwing daggers!~

@Budwick You're probably right - not a Freedom of Speech issue. More like an employment issue. I suppose an employer can...

I'm not sure Rosanne was cancelled because she is conservative, regardless of her political views, she has always been a dim witted, loud mouth jerk.
Samantha Bee apparently made a pretty vulgar comment last night, but bringing up what others have said in the past is using Fox News standard argument of But what about...
That's called deflecting and Fox does it because they have no legit argument on why Rosanne should have kept her job.
That said, I believe if any of the liberals actually came out with blatantly racist statements, they would be gone also. At least I hope that would be the case.

@2772518

AHHHhh! So it was the fact that I dared to mention something similar, but not supportive of your agenda that pissed you off! Y0ou shoulda just said so!

@SynysterSissy You make me laugh Bud. Honest. Mad? Hardly. I come for entertainment.

Then loosen up those tidy whiteys of yours and have a good time.

@Budwick Then loosen up those tidy whiteys of yours and have a good time.

That would be you pal. I'm not on here all day trying to top every comment.

@SynysterSissy That would be you pal. I'm not on here all day trying to top every comment.

I'm delighted that you find my comments to be in the top category.

It's not a contest though Xather. I know some believe it is somehow, with points, upvotes / downvotes, there's even a hall of fame! (I honestly don't know how one gets on the wall though.)

If you have trouble making quality comments, maybe you can concentrate on one of those things to get the acknowledgement you desire.

But remember Xather, it's far more important what YOU think of you - not what others might think of you.

@Flrdsgns I'm not sure Rosanne was cancelled because she is conservative, regardless of her political views, she has always...

I don't think I said Roseanne was fired for being conservative. I said - "I suppose an employer can fire you if you say something publicly that's embarrassing to the employer. "

I'm not sure how FOX got into this conversation.

I think it's kind of funny how the left can claim virtually anything they want to be racist. There was a time during Obama's term that mentioning his connection to Chicago was racist! And further, did you know that black people can NOT be racist? I did not know that!

@Budwick I don't think I said Roseanne was fired for being conservative. I said - "I suppose an employer can fire you if...

You did say you thought conservatives were being persecuted.
I mentioned Fox because trying to bring up what "the other side" said is their way of changing the subject.
Blacks can't be racist? Wow, news to me.

What did you think of the Cavs game last night? What a stupid blunder on that last free throw. I see Kevin Love is back, that can only help the Cavs. They did a close up on him and he looks exactly like his father did at that same age.
Are you getting some of that rain yet? Has it cooled down a bit for you there?

@Flrdsgns You did say you thought conservatives were being persecuted. I mentioned Fox because trying to bring up what "the...

Fortunately I don't care much for basketball. Of course I hope the Cavs win it all for the sake of the city. But the drama and excitement is lost on me.

My son in law is a fan. He's been on pins and needles for a while now. He said he couldn't watch a couple of the games - too intense.

We got a teeny bit of rain last night. May 1/8". We're supposed to get more today and then a gorgeous weekend - Yea!

@2771501

Apparently Freedom of Speech is NOT fine!
You might get fired!

@2771511

Correct!
Does that in anyway correlate to what happened in this Roseanne thing? Or, was it a message she posted on her personal time?

Again, I'm no fan of Roseanne. Just saying I think her liberties were voided is all.

@2771874

I don't look at any tweets either. So It isn't reaching everyone. jolly smilie

@2771874

I see. Shall we expect dismissal of Samantha Bee then?

"Samantha Bee Slams ‘Feckless C**t’ Ivanka Trump For Not Doing Something About Immigration"

@2772520

I am so sorry for exposing the double standard of the left. If thinking of two things at once is confusing for you, you do have the option of deleting your first comment to me and everything in the thread will go away. It's a great tool for the left! Just erase stuff you said!

Yes, Rosanne has been a pig for a long time. Samantha is younger and even more vile. Funny, how she identifies with anti-Trump.

@Budwick Apparently Freedom of Speech is NOT fine! You might get fired!

Well if you a person in the limelight you do need to always represent your employer . When I worked at city hall it was known that you are employed by the public so you must project a decent image all the times. Lucky for me I was brought up by decent people who wouldn't encourage bad behavior in any way. biggrin smilie

She made the classic mistake of apologizing to the left, never do that, they don't accept apologies gracefully, they just take it as an admission of guilt and double down on attacking you. The correct response would have been to simply declare that what she said wasn't intended to be racist, and leave it at that.

The left has no problem calling people apes, and truthfully, we are apes. We are the most evolved version of apes on this planet, but we are definitely a kind of ape.

Several prominent entertainers have called Trump an ape, even an orangutan, which could be construed as a racial comment, and used their shows to do it, not Twitter. Did they suffer any kind of consequence? Did they apologize? Hell no. Screw their double standard.

@2772516

Why do you on the left always have double standards? Is it acceptable political discourse to compare a politician to an ape or isn't it?

@2772618

It's a simple question: Is it acceptable political discourse to compare a politician to an ape?

@2772627

Come on, quit deflecting, is it acceptable political discourse to compare a politician to an ape or isn't it?

Anonymous