+16

Let's be fair to Roseanne, in today's America, when you say something racist you never know if your show will be canceled or if you will be elected president.

VicZincs avatar Countries & Places
8 34

It certainly seems that because of him, many now believe thinly-veiled, or even outright bigotry constitutes "joking."

How sad...

The double standard needs to end. If it's wrong for white people to be racist, it's equally wrong for black people to be.

They fired Roseanne for the nasty things she said and being a racist. And now we should fire Trump, for those very same things. What's good for the goose, is good for the gander.

@2771061

No one does, despite a great many attempts to deflect by suggesting otherwise.

@2771187

Wow, we actually agree on something Gronk, Rosanne has always been a loudmouth nut job. Trump has nothing to do with Rosanne's tweets.

I honestly couldn't care less what Roseanne said about Valerie Jarett. I don't watch shows because I agree with every single thing the actors have ever said, I watch them because they're entertaining.

Seth Meyers Compares President Trump To An Ape
http://conservative101.com/seth...e-big-problem/

In 2013, Bill Maher compared President Trump to an orangutan, even going to far as to say that his mother had sex with one.
https://www.business2community....atire-02070691

Jimmy Kimmel Compares Trump to an Orangutan
https://www.yahoo.com/entertain...122530214.html

So why didn't those people have their shows canceled? If it's okay to compare a white politician to an ape, why is it racist to compare a black politician to an ape? Why the double standard? What does that say about what the media believe about race?

@VicZinc That's a good question. Any thoughts on the answer?

I have one!

Trump beat Hillary.
The others didn't.
The"resistance" is not required to follow rules of decorum, decency, etc.

Budwicks avatar Budwick Disagree +2Reply

Well, they plainly don't believe blacks are equal to whites, that much is crystal clear.

Also, Meyers Maher and Kimmel called Trump an ape on their shows - the platform given to them by their networks, Roseanne just made a tweet.

@Maze Well, they plainly don't believe blacks are equal to whites, that much is crystal clear. Also, Meyers Maher and...

Certainty is rude to compare any person to certain animals. It's odd that calling someone a monkey, a snake, a rat, a pig, etc is considered an insult, but calling them a stallion, eagle, tiger, lion, etc is a compliment.

And who draws the line between insult and racism? Why can one person get away with calling one person a monkey but not call another?

@VicZinc Certainty is rude to compare any person to certain animals. It's odd that calling someone a monkey, a snake, a rat...

In my estimation, the only reason why someone would believe it's racist to call a black person an ape, but not to call a white person an ape is they believe blacks are more closely related to apes than whites are, and are therefore offended when someone brings it up. Personally I don't believe that, so it doesn't offend me.

@Maze In my estimation, the only reason why someone would believe it's racist to call a black person an ape, but not to...

I feel similarly. I do also consider the history. Traditionally the comparison between people of color and lesser simians has been used to argue their inferiority to the "white race". There are volumes of examples of this through out history as far back as Shakespeare and even the Roman historians. There does not seem to be any historical context of comparing whites to apes in a racial sense. So I guess that's why some people freak out. I wish we could move past that.

@2773407

That's like saying I should spend my time clearing the forests of the Amazon basin before I mow my own yard.

The war maybe over but the battle continues.

@2774065

Do you ever watch anything besides FOX and Infowars?

@2774439

LOL.

For one, you never asked a question, you just spewed a bunch of adjective ladened suppositions.

Second, dream on, if you had read the constitution you would know their is no 'economic' advice in it, so your comment regarding socialism is absurd. The only thing close to economics in the constitution is the "emoluments clause", which our president clearly didn't read, and the The "commerce clause" which gives congress the power to regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes.

@2773404

Holy mackerel, those are some very specific examples.
Seems like some transparent projection going on here.

All you Liberals twist things around the way you want it to be.President Trump is not a racist.

Could be like Justine Sacco who's jocular tweet ended up being a total pariah and ruining her life. She made jokes on people from Germany, and people from the UK, but one tweet about Africa goes viral and hell breaks loose. Until then, no one really knew who Justine was. However, Roseanne already had infamy and popularity with a group of people, so when she makes those tweets, she affects not only herself, but her castmates, the company that hired her, and fans. Oh but wait, Trump doesn't care and will tweet anything he wants. It hurt Sacco's career, it'll hurt Rosanne's, and after awhile she'll be forgotten like Sacco.

@2773135

It was rude. It was not racist.
I give our president a pass when he called Sally Yates, Jennifer Lin and Jessica Leeds "cunts". I thought it was rude and it made me question his integrity as a man. But it was multiple examples of race-baiting and his failure to address blantant racism that made me sure he was unfit for the office of President.

Yes, you never know... for example, I'm OUTRAGED at the racism of whoever made these vile pictures!