+7

While there have indeed been 3.3 million jobs created in the 18 months since Election Day 2016 (Nov. 2016-April 2018), there were 3.9 million jobs created in the 18 months before Election Day (May 2015-Oct. 2016) — when Trump was criticizing the state of the U.S. economy. Oh well, we tend to pick our "facts" to suit our agendas.

VicZincs avatar Jobs & Employment
3 57

Yeah, Obama was the best thing since sliced bread!

I agree that you pick facts to suit your interest.

Other leftists claim that Trump is doing so well only because he's still riding on Obama's coat tails.

But Trump hasn't started a nuclear war as the left feared he would. The market did not crash as they feared it would. North Korea has not blown up Japan as the left feared it would. Working people, even the ones that Obama got hired get to take home more of their money even though the left promises to take it back when they are back in power. And, despite of an intense investigation with hundreds digging for information, working 24/7 for over a year - NO evidence of colluding with Russia to influence the election on the part of Trump and his campaign was found. [They DID find some evidence that the DNC got their hands dirty - but pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!]

So, maybe we're OK.

@Budwick Yeah, Obama was the best thing since sliced bread! I agree that you pick facts to suit your interest. Other...

Maybe. Whatever happened to the FEMA camps and the Sharia Law Obama was going to bring about?

@Budwick I agree that you pick facts to suit your interest.

Yes, thank goodness you are open to all ideas, not close minded like me.

@2771603

Nothing. Not sure why Trump complained.

That is food on the table for over 7 million American families. Way to go, AMERICA!

The job creation is great news, regardless of who is responsible. The economy is doing well under Trump, so I'm thankful for that.
As for as more money in peoples pockets, not sure about that one. Gasoline is up around 40% since Trump took office, Groceries have gone up a good 20% in the past year. Health care cost are still rising. People may be keeping more of their money due to the tax cut, but that money plus more is taken by the increased cost of living.

@Flrdsgns The job creation is great news, regardless of who is responsible. The economy is doing well under Trump, so I'm...

Not to nit pic - but the tax cuts left more money in everyones pocket regardless of the cost of gas. If there had been no tax cut, you would be left with even less money.

@Budwick Not to nit pic - but the tax cuts left more money in everyones pocket regardless of the cost of gas. If there had...

Maybe, but had all the regulations on oil not been discontinued, would the oil companies have gouged the country? More drilling means more oil and gas available, prices should go down, not up.

@Flrdsgns Maybe, but had all the regulations on oil not been discontinued, would the oil companies have gouged the country?...

There's been a few international stories that may be influencing oil prices too.

But, what ever the reasons, the tax cuts still put $X back into your wallet rather than taking it.

I guess my point is that the two topics are not connected. IMHO anyway. In other words, if there had been no tax changes, oil would still be doing the same thing.

I would just love to know what policy of Trump's that supposedly led to all this job creation.

Any time I ask someone to illuminate me as to which Trump/Repub policies specifically are responsible for all this, they claim it's his tax plan; the majority of which hasn't gone into effect yet.

I'm entirely open to giving him credit even though the president doesn't pass law, congress does, but I've yet to see any actual evidence that it's warranted.

@ForkNdaRoad I would just love to know what policy of Trump's that supposedly led to all this job creation. Any time I ask...

Yeah when ANY politician talks about their job creation, I tend to complete ignore that part... because whenever I've tried to look into them, there is never enough evidence to back up their claims... and usually the best you can find is half truths.

@Zolfie Yeah when ANY politician talks about their job creation, I tend to complete ignore that part... because...

Agreed. Course, that's the beauty of being potus, they can claim every success and pass every failure.

I'll give a president credit for signing his name to a policy should said policy result in a net positive for Americans. I'd just like to see the policy for once :)

]Daily Caller]

Trump Cuts Thousands [of] Pages of Regulations

Federal regulations cost the U.S. $1.9 trillion in 2017, coming out to nearly $15,000 “hidden tax” on every American, CEI’s Wayne Crews reported in the 2018 edition of “Ten Thousand Commandments,” a report on government rules.

Regulatory costs exceeded the total income tax revenue the IRS collects.

Trump issued an executive order in January 2017 to prioritize shrinking the federal regulatory apparatus.

The 2017 Federal Register only reached 61,308 pages — the lowest since 1993, Crews reported.

The Federal Register hit an all-time record of 95,894 pages in 2016 during the Obama administration. Trump’s presidency has so far seen a 36 percent drop in Federal Register pages.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/04/...ulation-costs/

@Maze ]Daily Caller] Trump Cuts Thousands [of] Pages of Regulations Federal regulations cost the U.S. $1.9 trillion in...

I call shenanigans. He instituted a freeze on rule-making, appears many of these weren't 'regulations' at all.

From your link:
"Agencies have more than 3,200 regulations in the pipeline at various stages of development. Trump, on the other hand, only finalized 67 deregulatory actions — these will save $700 million a year, according to the White House.

Trump took “credit for killing or delaying rules that were pending and hadn’t gone into effect, including more than 100 that were already dead under Obama,” Bloomberg News noted.

At least 22 of the 67 deregulatory actions “were adapted from efforts begun under Obama, often with little or no change, according to records,” Trump claimed, according to Bloomberg."

Like I said, I'd love to see the actual policies behind these claims, I'm already familiar with the politics behind such claims.

@ForkNdaRoad I call shenanigans. He instituted a freeze on rule-making, appears many of these weren't 'regulations' at...

The point is regulations have been cut back from 95,894 pages under the last administration, to 61,308 pages, a 36% reduction. That's significant. If you're looking for a policy change that measurably improved conditions for business, that is one.

@Maze The point is regulations have been cut back from 95,894 pages under the last administration, to 61,308 pages, a 36%...

If you reread that article you'll see that the number you're citing is factually incomplete, included regs that hadn't even gone into effect (much like the so-called "job creating policies") and regs that didn't directly effect business at all.

It's disingenuous to suggest, even loosely, that this is somehow to credit for job creation that was already taking place under the some 95k regs in question.

Can't have it both ways Maze, sorry.

@ForkNdaRoad If you reread that article you'll see that the number you're citing is factually incomplete, included regs that...

I didn't really want to get into a long-winded discussion here. You asked "I would just love to know what policy of Trump's that supposedly led to all this job creation" right? He cut taxes and regulations, that was the policy, or at least, two of the policies, there's also trade, working to get rid of foreign import duties on American goods and foster more balanced trading relationships with other countries. That's having real world benefits for businesses, but it has also created optimism which has been fueling expansion.

@Maze I didn't really want to get into a long-winded discussion here. You asked "I would just love to know what policy of...

Do you think the article at the link you sent is an accurate reflection of the polices that result in the sort job creation Vic's referring to?

@ForkNdaRoad Do you think the article at the link you sent is an accurate reflection of the polices that result in the sort job...

I don't know, it's an article that explains some of the changes that have been made to regulation. Is anything the media puts out an "accurate reflection" of anything? Not in my experience, but it has probably happened.

@Maze I don't know, it's an article that explains some of the changes that have been made to regulation. Is anything the...

Don't get me wrong, I think deregulation is certainly more likely to result in large scale job creation than say, windfall tax cuts to multinational corporations.

But I don't think that particular article you provided is and example of that. I don't think the media generated those numbers as an example, the Trump admin did as a talking point to push a narrative.

@ForkNdaRoad Don't get me wrong, I think deregulation is certainly more likely to result in large scale job creation than say...

Trump delivering biggest cut in regulations since Reagan

According to a tally provided by the free-market 'Competitive Enterprise Institute,' the president has issued fewer rules than any other president since Ronald Reagan and cut the costs of those regulations significantly.

https://www.washingtonexaminer....rticle/2625451

According to a POLITICO analysis, the White House’s regulatory office has approved just 156 regulations since Inauguration Day, a huge drop compared with the Obama and Bush administrations: The office approved 510 rules in Barack Obama’s first year. For George W. Bush, it was 445.

Over the past year, the White House has laid the groundwork for a radical regulatory experiment across the government, limiting the ability of agencies to issue new rules and installing task forces at each agency to root out outdated ones.

https://www.politico.com/agenda...ear-one-000620

@Maze Trump delivering biggest cut in regulations since Reagan According to a tally provided by the free-market...

That is literally all the exact same information Maze and from the exact same source; CEI.

The problem is the claim itself is disingenuous.

@Maze Meh, I give up, enjoy your illusions.

Anyone who bothers to view the links you submitted can see the attempted confirmation bias. Speaks for itself...

@2771571

you just cant be happy with the new jobs created can you.

@2771571

Well, maybe so, but he seems to have created more jobs than have been lost. Unemployment is at a 17 1/2 year low, and if it drops another few tenths, it will be at a 40-year low.

https://tradingeconomics.com/un...mployment-rate

@StarzAbove He's created jobs but most of them are part time....and some still have to have two jobs.

Yes, that was true of Obama too.

I've always marveled at the fact that the government counts people as employed if they do any work for pay, no matter how little.

"To summarize, the employed are:

All those who did any work for pay or profit during the survey reference week. "

https://www.bls.gov/cps/cps_htgm.htm

Why would anyone criticize all those new jobs? Who cares who created them They are jobs for Americans! smh ... I have no use for hate.

Arachnias avatar Arachnia Disagree +4Reply

Which the opinion being, '__ Oh well, we tend to pick our "facts" to suit our agendas.__'

Yes you just picked your own "facts" to suit your agenda, and yes most people talking politics do just that... and sadly a growing number of politicians seem to be simply making sh!t up as they go.

@2771710

That's true if you assume someone can completely and totally control an economy from the very first second in office.

Personally I think it usually takes a number of months if not years for ANYONE to actually change the economy... because making changes don't just happen over night, you do something and it takes a long time to fully go into effect (at least that's my opinion).

I just hate how the person in power automatically gets all the blame or credit, when the policies that created the problem / or solution was done before.

FYI: I'm thinking of past events like the housing bubble bust... when this horrible things happened but really the economic policy that event was put in place an administration or two previous.

@Zolfie That's true if you assume someone can completely and totally control an economy from the very first second in...

It's like continental drift. Especially for the US. The US accounts for a full 25% of the world economy. By some measures it is twice the size of China's the next biggest.

It is easier to turn a tanker in the Suez.

Fun fact: the unemployment rate for April 2018 was 3.9%. The last time the unemployment rate was that low was December 2000.

http://www.dlt.ri.gov/lmi/laus/us/usadj.htm

Is there any dispute that minority unemployment is at an all time low? How is that a bad thing?

@ozzyboy Is there any dispute that minority unemployment is at an all time low? How is that a bad thing?

It is not a bad thing. Ask Trump why he was complaining about lack of job creation before the election but suddenly the same rate of growth is amazing. Either it was amazing before or it is not amazing after.

I vote amazing both before and after.

@VicZinc It is not a bad thing. Ask Trump why he was complaining about lack of job creation before the election but...

It is amazing considering the stranglehold that the previous administration put on this country.

Trump brags about all the jobs he's created, but fails to tell us how many jobs have been lost. Carrier, Harley Davidson, etc. That's exactly what Pence did when he was Gov. of Indiana.

@StarzAbove Trump brags about all the jobs he's created, but fails to tell us how many jobs have been lost. Carrier, Harley...

That may be, but since unemployment is the lowest it's been in 17.5 years, he must have created more jobs than have been lost.

If it goes down a few tenths more, it will be the lowest in 40 years.

@Thinkerbell That may be, but since unemployment is the lowest it's been in 17.5 years, he must have created more jobs than have...

I'm happy that the economy is doing great....but a lot of that was due to Obama, but Trump takes credit for all of it.

@StarzAbove I'm happy that the economy is doing great....but a lot of that was due to Obama, but Trump takes credit for all of it.

Remember when Clinton was first elected, and the economy turned around and was doing great? Republicans then said it was all Reagan and his trickle down economics and not Clinton.
Now these same conservatives claim it's Trump and the previous administration had nothing to do with it.
SMH

Yes, reminds me of Obama blaming Bush for the bad things that happened during Obama's administration.

@Thinkerbell Yes, reminds me of Obama blaming Bush for the bad things that happened during Obama's administration.

Obama never tried to undo everything that Bush had done.... Trump is obsessed with Obama, and he's determined to deregulate everything no matter how it hurts the country.

Enjoy your evening.

@StarzAbove Obama never tried to undo everything that Bush had done.... Trump is obsessed with Obama, and he's determined to...

What I find amusing is every time Obama mentioned falling unemployment rates, the usual suspects came out of the woods claiming he fuged the numbers double counted this or failed to count that.

These same "truthers" now seem to assume these counts are spot on with no need to verify anything.

@VicZinc What I find amusing is every time Obama mentioned falling unemployment rates, the usual suspects came out of the...

Well, Vic, as I mentioned in an earlier comment on this post (but which disappeared, mysteriously biggrin smilie ), the government numbers were and continue to be a fudge. You are counted as employed if you do any work at all for pay, no matter how little.

"To summarize, the employed are:

All those who did any work for pay or profit during the survey reference week."

https://www.bls.gov/cps/cps_htgm.htm

Well, there are honest differences of opinion on how much Obama's executive orders helped the country, particularly certain segments of it.

Some of them may even have cost Hillary the election.