So why hasn't TBS canceled Full Frontal with Samantha Bee? Is her comment less offensive?

beachbums avatar
7 64

Was her comment blatantly racist, or just in very poor taste?

@beachbum IMO, was extremely sexist.

I agree it was very sexist. A couple of sponsors have pulled their commercials on that show. If enough sponsors pull out, and if enough people are offended enough to stop watching her show, then Samantha Bee will be out of a job quick enough.
Rosanne has a history of shooting off her mouth, Samantha Bee hasn't made many offensive statements. Not sure, but could that be the difference?

@2772710

I didn't, before this I wouldn't have known who she was from Pee Wee Herman.

@2772710

Did you ever notice how alike the Bee woman is to the mother of that Honey person. The resemblance is amazing. I first thought it was Bee.

My first guess would be, because it's Turner's TBS and not Disney's ABC.

Different owners, different reactions and different opinions.

Plus, in theory, didn't she say that on her show? Which means she (in theory) got approval before saying it... and doesn't her show normally say crazy/stupid stuff? Like it's part of their gimmick... where the other one, wasn't approved before hand and wasn't part of the show's planned gimmick.

@Zolfie My first guess would be, because it's Turner's TBS and not Disney's ABC. Different owners, different reactions and...

I get what you are saying, but her comment was pretty dang offensive, and there is no excuse or reason for it.

Just seems to be the often double standard.

@beachbum I get what you are saying, but her comment was pretty dang offensive, and there is no excuse or reason for it...

But isn't that Samantha Bee's gimmick? To say something outspoken and offensive? I don't know, because I don't watch her much, but the few times I've seen the show, she's always said something offensive. I think it's expected and planned part of her show.

From what I can tell, there has always been double standards around racial and sexual remarks.

And there have been some exceptions, such as, if you're part of the group, you can make offensive comments about the group...

Where Drake can do blackface... because he's black.
Samantha Bee can do c*** remarks... because she's a woman

Roseanne made a black remark... and she's not black.

The problem is the same interests don't own both companies. Two different owners, two different standards.

Not quite the same as one entity holding inherently contradictory policies.

Bee offensive did not attack a liberal minority so why would they do anything.?
Spying is ok because it is good spying, offensive remarks are only offensive if they are done to liberal minorities, anyone else is fair game to the misguided left.

Just depends on what the person on top of the chain is offended by.

Obviously he/she is not offended by it because nothing has happened.

They'll wait to figure out the crowd and see how many people actually say they are offended by it..

Then cancel the show.....or just have a good belly laugh about the whole thing.

Probably because they don't foresee as severe a consequence resulting from their association with that comment as ABC did Roseanne's tweet.

@2772524

A couple sponsors have pulled out today. If enough sponsors leave, then the show will be over.
Rosanne has a history of offensive statements and tweets, Samantha Bee, not so much. Maybe that's the difference why one was cancelled and one wasn't.
At first glance it does look like a double standard though.

@2772604

Samantha Bee used to be on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart. She can be funny, but she can be very biting also.
I agree, corporations are trying to protect their bottom line. Personally, I think boycotts are silly. If I don't like a show, or a personality, I make my own choice whether to watch or not. I don't choose which products to use based on who they sponsor, or if the company is conservative or liberal.

@2772539

Wow, Sally Field is a real cunt.

.

What? By her definition it's a compliment.

@2772654

Wow, that's quite the rant there Gronk. Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.

What do you think of Sally Fields response? From what I saw of it, she doesn't appear to be wrapped too tight.

@2773409

You are so wrong about the majority of the people in the entertainment business. Are you just so jealous of people because they have money and you don't?
Jealousy is an ugly thing Gronk, I hope you can lose some of the hatred you have in your heart and learn to get along with people.

@2773409

Give it a rest, Gronk. Trump bragged about grabbing women by their genitals and we heard no outrage from the right.

@dru18 Give it a rest, Gronk. Trump bragged about grabbing women by their genitals and we heard no outrage from the right.

No, he didn't brag - he only said that "they let you" when you are rich and famous. I wish you would get your story straight.

@ozzyboy No, he didn't brag - he only said that "they let you" when you are rich and famous. I wish you would get your story...

LMAO!! You can't tell when one guy is bragging to another.

It's a problem with young guys, it's an absolute embarrassment when it comes to a 57 YEAR OLD FATHER AND GRANDFATHER!

@dru18 LMAO!! You can't tell when one guy is bragging to another. It's a problem with young guys, it's an absolute...

Clinton/Weinstein rapes are a problem. "They let you"
says more about the power hungry women than the men who take advantage of the situation when they are allowed to be crude.

@dru18 Clinton/Weinstein? So it's only a problem when liberal men do it?

Liberals ignore it among their own while demanding any repub who looks wrong at a woman to destroy their lives. Bad behavior exists on both sides of the isle, try to see the defects in your own party.

@ozzyboy Liberals ignore it among their own while demanding any repub who looks wrong at a woman to destroy their lives. Bad...

"Liberals ignore it", my ass they do. Is that why liberals insisted that Franken step down? Is that why liberals went after Weinstein (in droves) even though he gives large amounts of money to the Democrat platform?

You all turn a blind eye to Trump who is the biggest pig of them all.

@2772554

And he sure didn't apologize to all women, did he?

@2772554

He actually said "they let you" - let's get the story straight.

@2773733

"And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
Big difference in letting someone make a move on you and forcing yourself on someone (Clinton.)
Thanks for the transcript that proves the truth.

It's not about standards, it's about politics. The left is way more depraved than the right, but the right doesn't try to silence the left because the right believes in free speech.

Show me the last time a right wing group prevented a speaker with leftist views from giving a speech at a university. The left does it routinely to any speaker who's politics are to the right of Mao. They're totalitarians, so why is it any surprise that ABC would fall all over themselves to fire Roseanne for talking shit about a leftist politician on Twitter? They don't care about her free speech, and they don't care about yours either. They care about not incurring the wrath of the psychotic left. ABC faces no serious risk by offending the right, but they sure as hell do if they offend the left - those people are crazy.

@2772609

Seething contempt? Meh, maybe. I consider myself a liberal, but the modern left does disgust me, I hate bullies and thugs.

@Maze It's not about standards, it's about politics. The left is way more depraved than the right, but the right doesn't...

So, if you are saying conservatives don't watch or support ABC, then ABC will protect its base, same as Trump protects and panders to his base and couldn't care less about the rest of the country. I guess it's all about the bottom line.

@Flrdsgns So, if you are saying conservatives don't watch or support ABC, then ABC will protect its base, same as Trump...

I'm saying it was a business decision. Clearly conservatives had been watching ABC because Roseanne was doing very well. But ABC probably doesn't expect the right to chase away all their advertisers like the left would. So, ABC's viewing numbers are guaranteed to drop, if for no other reason than Roseanne was a popular show, and that will hurt their profits, but their funding won't be cut off overnight as it would be if they had offended the totalitarian left.

@Maze I'm saying it was a business decision. Clearly conservatives had been watching ABC because Roseanne was doing very...

I think that show is a winning formula, and I hope they do another show like it only replace Rosanne with any other conservative. Showing a family with conservatives and liberals in it and dealing with the real problems that middle class people are actually dealing with was a brilliant idea and should do well in the ratings.

@2772899

Family Ties?

The word is abhorrent. Women don't like that word and men need to respect that.

Samantha Bee got the the green light from her producers to use that word, so if people get fired they might want to start at the top.

Rosanne, however, went on one of her 'many' racist tirades and finally paid the price. And as a result many people are out of a job because of her stupidity.

They don't want to shut down Samantha Bee's show cuz it would put both of her 14 year old writers out of work. And, they represent 50% of the viewers!

Her comment wasn't racist directed at one person, whereas Roseanne's was directed at a race of people...the blacks. Trump called the NFL players, SOBs and he has never apologized, at least this person apologized.

@StarzAbove Her comment wasn't racist directed at one person, whereas Roseanne's was directed at a race of people...the...

My point is that her comment was offensive to all women. That's part of today's problem - no one seems to have respect for others, or themselves. I can't imagine that either one of us would ever say something like that. Racist or sexist comments are just offensive, regardless of who says them or who their target is.

BTW, Roseanne's comment was equally offensive.

@beachbum My point is that her comment was offensive to all women. That's part of today's problem - no one seems to have...

That's true, but it's getting to be the norm, where people talk nasty about everything and think it's funny. I have never used that word, nor a lot of other degrading words.... and I'm sure you haven't either. That word was used even on here against a woman....that's how mean some people are on this site.

@StarzAbove That's true, but it's getting to be the norm, where people talk nasty about everything and think it's funny. I...

starz - nope not a word I would use but it isn't that offensive to me - It just shows the
low mentality of the user. Low minded but lower than that is the F word that people use on here constantly. I really see no need for that in any way.

Because they must be Trump haters,they have no respect for the President or his family

I would guess because that is a reason to watch her crazy talk. and from what I have found on the subject she only used one rude word about a trump daughter. nothing racial

what are ya gonna do AMIRITE????? ¯|_(ツ)_/¯ Image in content

Anonymous