Zolfies avatar Travel
5 18

Uber and Lyft have nearly killed the taxi business in SoCal.
Uber costs less, cars are clean and drivers speak English.

uber right and sometimes it works out badly. I will stick with old fashioned taxi service.

I summoned a wizard and what did I get instead? A drunken Indian.

Perhaps I should try harder with my search parametres.

Yup. I don't get it.

I'm fortunate in that I have my own car, and haven't ever ridden with Uber and it's been ages since I rode in a Taxi.

@StarzAbove I'm fortunate in that I have my own car, and haven't ever ridden with Uber and it's been ages since I rode in a Taxi.

We still have real taxi here I hope they continue. This is Maine so it is far behind most places. I don't have a cell phone so I can't use uber. No loss to me as I do have a car and driving mysrlf is always the prefered method.

They go through extensive background checks. It's the passengers that concerning.

@ForkNdaRoad They go through extensive background checks. It's the passengers that concerning.

I agree with your statement, that passengers would certainly be a concern and I have no knowledge of what they go through.

But I do know someone they hired, that should have never been hired, got charged with physical assault (knowing this person, it was probably their fault and not the passenger).

Also I'm questioning all background checks after learning one of my former employers hired a convicted murderer, that plead guilty ((admitted he kill the guy to steal his car), but it later got thrown out on a technicality. A police officer failed to listen to orders and search the person's home while the search warrant was being signed... so all the proof they found got thrown out of court.

@Zolfie I agree with your statement, that passengers would certainly be a concern and I have no knowledge of what they go...

I have a friend who drives for them too. She pointed out to me that it was harder for her to get hired with them than it was for her to purchase a firearm. lol

I don't know if that varies state to state or what. But I can't imagine taxis don't have the same problem, you know?

I agree about the background checks. I think more than anything, they give people a false sense of security. Even an otherwise nonviolent individual might become a monster under the right set of circumstances.

But that's people in general. If I've learned anything, it's that you never really know what a person's capable of...

@ForkNdaRoad I have a friend who drives for them too. She pointed out to me that it was harder for her to get hired with them...

I figured you knew something like that after you used the word "extensive" hehe smilie. I thought you might have some insight. Was your friend recently or semi recently hired?

I'm purely guessing that the person I know got hired when the rules might of been hired earlier when rules might of been more relaxed. Sometimes firearms are easier to get when they already have you on record (from a previous firearm) then a company would (who might not have a previous record on you).

I completely agree with the taxi points people are bringing up. I don't mean to suggest these thing are any worse than taxis. I just thought it was kind of ironic that what we teach kids and what we do is the opposite.

Also completely agree with a person can be capable of anything under the right circumstances.

@Zolfie I figured you knew something like that after you used the word "extensive" . I thought you might have some...

She was hired in the last year. Also, there was a significant political fight against Uber by the city of Austin. It resulted in a ballot proposition that Uber inevitably won.

I know they put several new measure into place within the company to appease the local authorities. So it's entirely possible that didn't exist as a standard for hiring when the person you know was employed.

Yes, I witnessed the aftermath of Katrina firsthand. That shattered all my illusions about humans and what they're truly capable of when say, the lights are cut for 6 months or so...

@ForkNdaRoad She was hired in the last year. Also, there was a significant political fight against Uber by the city of Austin...

Yeah the person I'm talking about got fired years ago, so the standards were probably much lower. Plus Uber recently got rid of their CEO that at times seemed like a slime ball.

Yeah, I'm not sure I can quite image because I don't like thinking of the horrors... but I've also hear a few stories, though I'm sure they're not close to the worse.

You were also taught not to take candy from strangers ... but Halloween candy is okay to take from strangers.

Anonymous