VicZincs avatar People & Celebrities
4 45

As a conservative I'm usually against tariffs and for free trade. But the US has been screwed over for quite a long time with the USA importing tens of billions more from other countries than exporting. And stuff like NAFTA resulting in closure of manufacturing in the US.

I believe that these tariffs are simply negotiating chips tossed into the mix to get the USA better free trade results.

@Budwick As a conservative I'm usually against tariffs and for free trade. But the US has been screwed over for quite a...

I agree that the tariffs are simply being used as negotiating chips tossed into the mix to get the USA better trade results... But because there is something extra on them now, it's no longer free trade.

Also, you're for free trade, but you hate the free trade results of the USA being screwed over and closures of manufacturing... so why are you for it?

The nation with the best buying power (USA) is going to have those losing problems in any true free trade arrangement.

@Zolfie I agree that the tariffs are simply being used as negotiating chips tossed into the mix to get the USA better trade...

I'm for free trade for the same reasons I am for competition in the marketplace. It usually drives prices down and quality up.

I'm not in favor of being butt phucked by our trading allies however.

Some countries have different values and interests than we do. Mexico for some reason thinks it's just dandy to flood our borders with south American people wanting to enter the USA illegally. Applying pressure via the pocketbook might help them gain some new insights.

@Budwick I'm for free trade for the same reasons I am for competition in the marketplace. It usually drives prices down and...

Free trade usually does drive prices down, because they go to the cheapest workers (non-America), which is (as you said) "resulting in closure of manufacturing in the US."

I'm just pointing out that you're complaining about both sides of the same process. You can't have a free trade system that doesn't do that with America's market.

That last part is different issue, and not about free trade or tariffs, different subject.

@Zolfie Free trade usually does drive prices down, because they go to the cheapest workers (non-America), which is (as you...

Believe me, I see the problem. And I agree, I am complaining about both sides of the problem.

From Trump's perspective, I think his motto of putting America first is pushing him to implement the tariffs. Hopefully as a short term means to bring some balance to trading with others. The NAFTA thing resulted in [or at least assisted] the collapse of American manufacturing, loss of hundreds of thousands of jobs and a lot of ill will. Something needs to be adjusted. We can't flush ourselves down the toilet in the interest of free trade. Maybe we can work on FAIR trade - where everybody wins!

For a pretty fly, for a white guy, I actually understand quite little about the economical system, when it comes to the global scale. The basics are easy to grasp, but the significant changes in any of the factors are really difficult to figure out, since every single change has a butterfly effect riding on its back and even forth. Therefore, I'm merely glad that I don't have a crystal ball.

US is pretty much a joke over here in Europe, when it comes to keeping any sort of economical balance. It's not just the dog's ear that's causing all of the fuzz, but the actions of the bank system as whole is really causing most of the Europeans to be careful about any, if any, investments should be even remotely considered. Most of the people, who actually have brains - unlike myself - think the current situation couldn't be worse, if Krusty the Clown was running the silly darn country.

@2773969

That's because you were the first and only mind behind Brexit, as seen in the 1984 cartoon of "JD hates Britain" by Gerry Pixeltesticle.

@2773977

Well, Gerry doesn't like that nickname, but I guess you already knew about the fact.

It's a world economy now. Isolating oneself from the rest of the world will no longer work. We slap a tariff on any countries exports, they will simply reply in kind. If China stops buying American soybeans, thousands of farmers will go bankrupt. Prices will go up, exports will decline, I just can't see this as a winning formula.

@StarzAbove Another dumb thing Trump hasn't thought through.... .

I tent to agree Starz. I don't think Trump is the sharpest tool in the shed, but he should hire some people who do understand economies. I guess we will soon see if we are right, or he is right on this one.

@Flrdsgns I tent to agree Starz. I don't think Trump is the sharpest tool in the shed, but he should hire some people who do...

He's not smart at all, but I do hope he's right. But even top Republicans are going against this one. And of course, Canada, Mexico and the UK are already saying they will retaliate. I'm afraid it's really gonna hurt our economy.

Trump is ripping the band aid off and it is going to hurt but I'm hoping it will help in the long run. Our steel mills, silk mills and many other producers lie in ruins, literally, because of the cheap overseas trade. It's time Americans start making their own clothes and steel again. Our regulations should not hamper our own production so much that it is cheaper to get our goods overseas. It's time Americans produced their own materials. If China wants to buy our soybeans, fine, but no more Chinese junk in America.
Every country has to look out for it's own and none of them can be blamed for that, even ours.

@2773961

I think we should get rid of both the T's....you think? biggrin smilie

@2773975

OOps, then I shouldn't comment about your T. Sounds like a good plan to me. clap smilieclap smilie

@2773979

Really? Is there a "Bad List"? Better change your ways. Oops. I think I said that to JD. lol

@2773985

What? What? Am I on the Bad List too? Oh no....

There are three different questions here in a single post... which makes it hard for an easy/simply answer. I think _Howler_ had a great layout in his answering, so I hope he doesn't mind my copying (what do they say? mimicking is the highest form of flattery?)

Q. Is the US losing "respect" among the international community?..
A. I think there are different types of respect. I think it's been pretty clear that Trump prefers/values a different type... and is purposely giving up one he doesn't care about, in attempts to get one he values more.

Q. Or more to the point, should we care?
A. We should care about results... positive results gets respect, negative results lose respect. We the final results will be, is still unclear... but results should lead to respect, not the other way around.

Q. Do you think overall, that tariffs will help or hurt the US?
A. I think United States best asset is their buying power... and with free trade, I think the buying power is wasted.

If done correctly, I think tariffs could (long term) create/keep a lot of jobs in the US by making products made in the U.S. more competitive with higher prices for foreign goods.

But there is two problems... 1) All of Wall Street (and their lobbyist) seems to be against this method, even though it would could really help main street. 2) It creates higher prices, so low earning families will need more help (especially in between the time that prices go up, and American job market comes back which will take much longer than the prices going up)... if they don't it might just backfire as people hurt so much that they rally and go the opposite direction with this.

So while I think tariffs (in the long term) can maximum the U.S.'s best power (their buying power) which I fully support, I don't think I've seen ANY politician that's willing and able to handle the two big problems that will come with it to put and keep it in place for the long term. As most politicians aren't willing/able to stand up against large lobbyist group, must less fight them as through the short term pains tariffs will cause, helping lower earning families until the jobs market start coming from the tariffs.

Yes, yes and yes.

Because of Trump the international community doesn't trust the USA anymore. I care deeply and so should every American. As far as the tariffs, yes, they will hurt all of us....prices will soar, and again a possible recession.

Congress is fiddling, while Trump burns America.

@2773972

Just wondering, are there millions of employees in the United States steel industry?

I honestly don't know the answer... I was thinking it was in the thousands... but that's a pure wild and random guess.

@2774078

Thank you, I tried to look it up first and got about the same answer as you did. My understanding (based on your info and mine) there are about 150,000 steelworkers in the US. So it is indeed thousands of workers. **Thank you for helping me**.

The steel consuming manufacturers are the companies that buy the steel and are the ones complaining because they're going to be paying higher prices and passing them on their consumers. They're not the one the tariffs are good for (not directly anyways).

@2774334

True. I think they could be either good or bad... a lot more depends on more information.

That is my fear also, and I really hope we are both wrong.

Tarrifs give everyone an equal playing field. If Chinese made shoes are now too expensive, Americans will have to make their own, thus bringing a mindless job back into the country for the people who can't or won't go on to higher educated jobs. I will be so glad to once again find soy bean nuts in the local stores - they were all going to china, now they will be available in the states again.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundreds avatar LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Tariff's good outweighs international opinion 0Reply

I saw on the news today they all laughed at a trump statement.