Name A Threat Your Parents Used Against You As Coercion Tactic When You Were A Kid That You Learned Later On In Life Was Complete Rubbish

Image for post Name A Threat Your Parents Used Against You As Coercion Tactic When You Were A Kid That You Learned Later On In Life Was Complete Rubbish
8% My Dad Used To Tell Me This... 50% My Mom Used To Tell Me This... 17% They Both Used To Tell Me This... 8% I Never Fell For My Parents Idle Threats... 17% Other... 0% Other
Sir_Whatzs avatar People & Celebrities
6 28

When I was a toddler my mom would point to the cabinets above the refrigerator and say, "I don't want to have to let those dingbats out."

I imagined a miniature winged ski pole that would chase me around and sting like a wasp. You bet I behaved, or did chores, or whatever I was told to do.

By the time I was in school I had explored the cupboard and discovered her rouse.

I wasn't threatened all that much as a kid because I didn't get into trouble as a young child. I had an older brother and younger sister, they monopolized most of the threats and trouble. I just observed and took not of the "what not to do's."

But I think my brother may have convinced me that if I swallowed a watermelon seed a watermelon would grow in my stomach... I was sold when he told me that's why our pregnant neighbor's stomach was so big... I was 5 or 6, don't judge me. lol

I was told the bogeyman would get me.

ThePrinceofWaless avatar ThePrinceofWales My Mom Used To Tell Me This... +6Reply

My parents were pretty up front with what the consequences would be. Like so many other kids, I had to find out the hard way.

My mom and dad would just say do what we tell you or we will be mad at you. I did what I was told. They didn't us coercion just facts.

My mom told me to quit making faces because my face might freeze like that. My grandma didn't want me picking all of her beautiful snapdragons, so she told me they would bite! (I fell for both.) redface smilie

JanHaskells avatar JanHaskell My Mom Used To Tell Me This... +6Reply
@2774847

Yes! It's a wonder we aren't all blind! hehe smilie

JanHaskells avatar JanHaskell My Mom Used To Tell Me This... +4Reply
@2774847

Yup.... my mother used that line on me a few times

idk if i remember any coercion lies but i DO remember that my mom told me my grandfather has an extra finger and "he just keeps it tucked under all the time, thats why youve never noticed" and after that point i was always like WHERE???? what??? Six WHOLE fingers??? I dont see it. AND she told me and my brother that she has a huge metal plate in her head (bullshit, and i knew it, but my little bro believed it for YEARS) and NOW she tells her nieces, my sweet little cousins, that she has a plate in her head and THEY believe her!!! horse hockey, mom!! hehe smilie

astral_queens avatar astral_queen My Mom Used To Tell Me This... +5Reply

If I went outside with wet hair, I would get pneumonia.

VooDooYoos avatar VooDooYoo My Mom Used To Tell Me This... +4Reply

My mother used to tell me that if I didn't wear my glasses, I would go blind.

When I wanted to play with the mirror window, my mom used to tell me that, if the mirror fell down and the window broke, a witch would come out of it. That was kind of effective in keeping me away from it.

They threatened to take me to the orphanage and drop me off there. It wasn't much of a threat because I would pray that they actually would take me there ;-(

I never threatened as a parent. I meant what I said and I said what I meant. And I followed through. Today I have two fantastic sons who are well adjusted and highly contribute to the world.