+19

Anthony Bourdain proved to me the world isn't nearly as bad as it appears. Saddens me that, even knowing that, he took his own life. The world has lost a fine human being, one of the best of us.

This man shouldn't have died like this, deserved much better...

Image for post Anthony Bourdain proved to me the world isn't nearly as bad as it appears. Saddens me that, even knowing that, he took his own life. The world has lost a fine human being, one of the best of us.
ForkNdaRoads avatar
12 50

It's sad when anyone passes, especially sad when they end their own life.

I wasn't a fan Anthony Bourdain. I never really thought about why - but I just wan't entertained by him. And, you know with all the cooking shows and cooking celebrities - I never once saw him actually cook something.

I'm not here to pee on his grave, just offering another perspective.

May he rest in peace.

@Budwick It's sad when anyone passes, especially sad when they end their own life. I wasn't a fan Anthony Bourdain. I...

That was what made him different, I think. Any great chef can make a spectacle with their own food. He enjoyed taking people with him on an adventure to find the everyday cooks, the unknowns, in everyday places throwing down food native to their home and it was every bit as good as expensive fine dining, but with much bigger helping of heart and heritage.

He earned his status too, despite coming from an affluent family. He also fought for his fellow cooks and workers, using the influence he earned to improve their entire industry... and at a great risk to his own reputation. I have immense respect for him for that.

@2775873

So true! It constantly surprised me every time his feet touched down abroad there was a friend waiting for him.

You know, the world seems dark from the view of your couch. American news doesn't compel you to travel, it may dissuade you from experiencing a world rich in beauty, culture, adventure due solely to fear of the unknown, or misconceptions regarding treatment or targeting of American travelers abroad.

He knew all that, his shows consisted of him letting you in on the secret; what we think we know about the world is mostly bs. It isn't dark or gloomy, there's love and freedom to be found for those willing to forego their fear, embrace the unknown and without prejudgement, experience it firsthand. That was his greatest gift and he gave it so freely.

One example was his trip to Madagascar, he brought his whole spirit with him wherever he went. He fed nearly a whole village. I found only a partial video of it, but he ensured the kids ate. And they partied all night, the whole village. Righteous.

@2775916

And how! He earned his chops with that one. He also noted how changed he was after that.

@2775849

So sad, isn't it. We just never know what others are going through until it's too late.

@2775849

I first realized my appreciation for his spirit when I noticed his show was the one thing I could put on my tv with my entire crazy, bickering family over for the holidays and nobody would complain! It's a near impossible feat and to me is one of the truest testaments to his character as a human being.

What a shock. He seemed like he had everything going for him. But we never know what the other person is thinking or how much they are hurting deep inside.

That's why I try to be as polite as I can to people on this site. We just don't know what others are going through.

RIP Anthony!

@StarzAbove What a shock. He seemed like he had everything going for him. But we never know what the other person is...

He struggled all throughout his life with drugs and inner demons. But I thought for sure he was one of the few that had pulled through to the other side of all that. It's a tragedy, he had so much simple yet profound wisdom to offer to anyone who was graced with his friendship or personality.

@ForkNdaRoad He struggled all throughout his life with drugs and inner demons. But I thought for sure he was one of the few that...

Thanks for the info, I didn't know anything about his past, all I knew of him was his traveling show.... I liked what I saw of him and his show.

It is a tragedy, suicide is so devastating to everyone.....

@2775874

Same here, I can't imagine what they're going through right now. That's a mighty big hole his absence will leave.

@2775910

I know, I was blown away when I first saw it. I actually cried. It's just so sad to think he felt as though there was no reason left for him to be here. And this was a man who inspired so much happiness in so many others.

I think it's fair to say that he certainly showed us a different side of the world. Though it might be just as bad, he just didn't publicly show the negative as much as the positive.

@ForkNdaRoad Perhaps, although he was pretty candid about his drug abuse.

Very true, I was speaking more towards the areas he visited...

Example, if he went somewhere with a high rate of crime, he would surely mention it, and maybe even give it a tongue lashing... but he wouldn't necessary show it.

Where he would talk about and show all the beautiful and good things he could.

Though you can't blame him, that's just television, plus if he did show all the horrors then either he might not be allowed in, and/or might be arrested and kept from negativity towards the area... depending on the local area (both written and unwritten) crimes and punishments.

@Zolfie Very true, I was speaking more towards the areas he visited... Example, if he went somewhere with a high rate of...

Ahh, understood. Well, I wouldn't either were I him and if for no other reason than that as an American, all the problems we have here, we probably aren't fit to make give those sorts of critiques. lol All good points, though.

@ForkNdaRoad Ahh, understood. Well, I wouldn't either were I him and if for no other reason than that as an American, all the...

As an American, I think it would be fair, IF he also did the same with US cities/areas and they should.

Such as New Orleans and Baltimore... there is a heck lot of history, stories, background, interesting positive stuff. But there is a lot of bad as well, that doesn't get talked much about for some reason.

@Zolfie As an American, I think it would be fair, IF he also did the same with US cities/areas and they should...

I know he did an episode in NOLA.

Really? NOLA is constantly called out as one of the murder/violent crime capitals of the country. I think it was listed as the murder capital of the world for more consecutive years than any other U.S. city.

@ForkNdaRoad I know he did an episode in NOLA. Really? NOLA is constantly called out as one of the murder/violent crime...

Yes really, for a long time I never knew about NOLA violence... I started hearing more, but a large part of that was due to the fact that I follow the NFL and a number of NFL players from that area talking about it and some reporters.

But as far as crime, I mainly hear about local and Chicago... sometimes Los Angles... but rarely down south unless it's a big event.

@Zolfie Yes really, for a long time I never knew about NOLA violence... I started hearing more, but a large part of that...

Wow, that's so strange to me. I've been hearing about since I was child.

It isn't quite as bad as it used to be, likely still among the worst though. It was really bad when Hoda Kotb worked the local news there. lol

@ForkNdaRoad Wow, that's so strange to me. I've been hearing about since I was child. It isn't quite as bad as it used to be...

Yeah but you have lived in that region, right?

I think a lot of things are reported in a region and might not get out. While I think a lot of people know about NOLA's problems in general, it's not reported here often... usually NOLA's stories here are very much party stories only.

For the crime, we usually hear about local cities and Chicago for some random reason.

@Zolfie Yeah but you have lived in that region, right? I think a lot of things are reported in a region and might not get...

Of course, I lived in that city. One of the first things natives do in the company of tourists is warn them about the crime in the city.

@ForkNdaRoad Of course, I lived in that city. One of the first things natives do in the company of tourists is warn them about...

Well as a tourist, I thank you smile smiliexp smilie

Around here, be very careful where in Baltimore you go, but I'm guessing that's true for all major cities. But Baltimore (at least certain parts) is one of the worst ones ... especially gun violence.

@Zolfie Well as a tourist, I thank you Around here, be very careful where in Baltimore you go, but I'm...

You know, the weird thing is, although I knew how dangerous the city was, I never once felt unsafe in it.

I suppose when you know the area, or when it feels like home, your perspective of it is different. I don't know.

Is that where you're from Zolfie, Baltimore? That's a pretty big city.

@ForkNdaRoad You know, the weird thing is, although I knew how dangerous the city was, I never once felt unsafe in it. I...

No, I'm not from Baltimore. Never even lived in Maryland xp smilie ... but it's the closest huge city to where I currently am.

@ForkNdaRoad Oh, sorry, guess I misunderstood.

No, that's common. Like I said Baltimore is the largest huge city but I live in PA. But lots of people think I live closer when talking about Baltimore.

I was shocked too, to hear of his suicide. I did watch his show sometimes, and stopped watching it for reasons I don't need to mention now.
He seemed to be a complex and interesting man, and it saddens me that he felt such personal anguish and despair.

"[When I die], I will decidedly not be regretting missed opportunities for a good time. My regrets will be more along the lines of a sad list of people hurt, people let down, assets wasted, and advantages squandered." ~Anthony Bourdain

Oh, wow. :( That's really sad. I have very a fond memory of his shows. I used to watch them as a teen.

I enjoyed watching his food and travel shows. RIP Anthony! :-(

Mashas avatar Masha Agree +2Reply
@2776210

If by that you mean the right to go the way they wish, of course. Not often how it happens.

Never heard of that guy, so when I looked it up I find he was a food guy? I have no respect for people who kill themselves and also wish people would just let them go on when they want to do it.

@2776158

The rate of pure misery is also too damn high... maybe that's the reason.

My experience with those who came of age in the 60s, 70s, 80s had is the majority had substance addictions... For some it was heroin, for others pills or cocaine and the rest spent most of their lives in the equally addictive bottle.

From my observation, not much has changed on that front with the one exception of which exceptions people make regarding the substances themselves.

@2775862

I know, I didn't believe it at first. He might be the only celebrity I ever truly identified with, connected with.

I have no idea why... he struggled with drugs, but I thought he had resolved much of what led him to depression.

Off topic, do you know why the post gif doesn't work? Every time I use one in a post, it doesn't move.

@2776392

Considering that neither you nor I know why he chose to do so, I don't think either of us are fit to judge.

No one compared him to a POW or suggested he or they were more or less important than one another. Not everything in life need be ranked in levels of inferiority or superiority FR.