+2

I hate fanaticism.

I'm not speaking of being a fan (enthusiastic) of some movie, or singer, or book or whatever. I'm speaking of fanaticism taken to the extreme, that is used to hurt others. Especially on politics and religion, if I could press a button and made all of that sick mentality disappear, I would.... sadly, humans can't appear to live nowadays without some sort of fight, or without being in a place where they feel morally superior to someone else. And something that also bothers me, is how some "average" people don't condemn the fanaticism if it's targeted at someone not from their group (with a different label than them). How much lack of empathy does someone has to have to be okay and sometimes even show support for such trash? Yeah, I'm being harsh, I know, but as I said, I hate it. It's just poisonous to any society. / Have you ever met a fanatic in real life?

Sofias avatar Religion
10 69

I've met plenty on the internet, but I've been lucky in real life. I've met plenty of jerks, but that I'm aware, nothing that extreme.

The internet make it easier for people to put the ugly out there, so it doesn't surprise me how easy it is to encounter one here.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +11Reply
@2777617

It's vic.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +4Reply
@Carla It's vic.

Vic is the real gangster here, making all of that fake money, that neither Marky or I have absolutely no idea of. Denied. Access. Access denied.

@Carla It's always vic.

With his 'stache, he can lure a security guard into his/her death faster than a bucket of chocolate cookies. Then again, I'd rather have the cookies...

@ZonkeyBalls Get up on me shoulders, ya silly twat. See the jar yet?

No...stand up straight! I dont weigh THAT much!

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +2Reply
@Carla No...stand up straight! I dont weigh THAT much!

Here, use this stool on my... Not there, those aren't my shoulders! That's me head!

@ZonkeyBalls Here, use this stool on my... Not there, those aren't my shoulders! That's me head!

Why do you insist on keeping them on top of the cabinets, not in. I would leave you some...honest:)

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +2Reply
@Carla Why do you insist on keeping them on top of the cabinets, not in. I would leave you some...honest:)

I will put them in my closet, the next time, honestly.

Then again, I might eat them all with Tom Cruise.

@Carla It'll be too late. John travolta will eat them all...

I hate it, when Stan doesn't shut that door properly.

@ZonkeyBalls I hate it, when Stan doesn't shut that door properly.

He's a product of randy. Have to lower your expectations.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +1Reply
@ZonkeyBalls I love geology, you biatch...

You just love being stoned. Different kind of study.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +1Reply
@Carla You just love being stoned. Different kind of study.

The sediments have fossiles from different eras and they all are different. I've had a frog from fifty thousand years ago and it tastes lovely. Which reminds me, that it's time for me to take a snack (also called as very early breakfast).

@2777617

Are you having another Uncle Vic episode? I think you should take some of these roofies... Well, all of them.

@2777709

Why? What did you do now, Mark? ... Can't be as bad as it's between myself and John. We don't even talk to each other - for a fucking good reason, since he's a dick, always been a dick and always will be a dick.

@2777772

JD and I have always been fine.

Have you ever seen a time, when John and I would've been fine, though?

@2777779

I think he is tripolar. No, make it quadpolar.

@2777784

Well... I guess I'm closer to him as most people on the site. We all like to keep our distance and approximity can be a burden, if we share too much.

@2777606

I'm sorry to hear that.

That expression never made much sense to me - It's a just a website, or it's just the internet. That's just not true when you think about it. You're looking at a screen, sure, but there's someone writing down what you read. Chances are, they can't and won't touch you, but they probably live in a city with other people around them.
It's like I heard before - when you're on the internet it's easy to forget you're talking with an actual person, because you're not seeing them, but they're still there (forgetting the bots issue).
Sure, it won't bother me (as in being worried about my safety) but I will pay attention to it.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +4Reply

I hate fanaticism too.

Nope, I haven't had the "pleasure" of meeting any fanatic in real life. At least not as far as I know (or remember). The people I interact with on a daily basis in real life seem all reasonable.

But yeah, when people are fanatic, it seems really easy for them to create an emotional distance from the "others" and treat them like subhuman trash. They usually want to believe that there is a problem X in the world and an extreme solution Y which will solve everything. The alleged problem and the solution are usually pretty misguided (based on flawed logic), and more often than not involve violence. And it can become really hard, if not impossible, to convince a fanatic out of it.

This makes me think of people who want to bring back Millitary Dictatorship in Brazil.

I agree - it's just poisonous to a society.

how come there are 12 disagrees but you cant see anyone who has disagreed??

@astral_queen how come there are 12 disagrees but you cant see anyone who has disagreed??

If Management hasn't changed things, you can vote logged in, then again logged out. If you vote logged out (or if it's someone without an account), no avatar appears, but the vote still counts. So, if I have to guess, I struck a nerve in someone.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +6Reply
@Sofia If Management hasn't changed things, you can vote logged in, then again logged out. If you vote logged out (or if...

Some people are just followed and downvoted. Looks like you are on the list. I never give them the opportunity. I dont provide the agree or disagree option.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +7Reply
@Carla Some people are just followed and downvoted. Looks like you are on the list. I never give them the opportunity. I...

I don't mind it. It's been happening now and then since the first months I signed up. While management allows people to vote not logged in, it will keep happening. I'll keep posting as I wish, and the unhappy-folk can keep convincing themselves they're doing something relevant.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +5Reply

its amazing how desperate people are!! its just a website!! no wonder tr*mp and his ilk have so many bots. people like this just cant stand not being "the best" so they have to fuck with the numbers!! wild.

I've been lucky in reality, my friends and family are great people, no one is extreme about anything.

But online is a whole different ballgame. There are a lot of really immature people on social media and they can get really mean and nasty. They can't let anything go, all they want to do is pick a fight or keep dissing others....they can't seem to let go of their hatred for others. They gossip about what others are doing when they should be minding their own business.

Yes...ive met fanantics in real life. It used to be, before the internet, they only affected those around them. Able to mold only a few with hatred. Now, messages can be spread worldwide. Mallabe minds can be easily reached and lives forever changed.
I reckon there is one or twelve people here that are a bit fanatical. But, i dont think dangerously so.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +6Reply

Even though I agreed to this opinion, I have to say something very serious here. And, no, it's not "Boobs!" Although boobs are great. Even on some icky men. But... Let's not get down... Why would anyone even mention boobs here, what kind of a perv... Oh, sorry. Oops.

More than fanaticism, I hate censorship. Should I be out there burning copies of Hitler's "Mein Kampf" in a huge bonfire? No. That's not how this works. We all have different opinions and no matter how disgusting we might find each other, those opinions have to be respected. It's called The Freedom of Speech - which also applies to its written form. I don't mind the Jehova's witnesses, I've had them always welcome to my flat, and always confused them by my knowledge of the Bible and stuff. Sometimes, they have licked frogs as well. Just as the God had written.

@ZonkeyBalls Even though I agreed to this opinion, I have to say something very serious here. And, no, it's not "Boobs!"...

It's crap, for sure.

Well, some people eat frogs, but licking them? No, not for me.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +3Reply
@Sofia It's crap, for sure. Well, some people eat frogs, but licking them? No, not for me.

Don't you come joining Carla in her cookie hunt. My back is about to break. My head has already caved in, thanks to the kitchen stool.

@Carla Yeah...frog licking is over the line for even me.

I love it, when frogs lick me. It makes wonders to your skin... Why are you looking at me that way? Is it because I'm superbly heterosexual? Oh. Well, then, throw the fucking frogs out of the balcony, dudes... Girls, I meant. No, not the French guys I inv... Oh... Oops... I guess there could be some murder charges coming up.

@ZonkeyBalls I love it, when frogs lick me. It makes wonders to your skin... Why are you looking at me that way? Is it because...

I will keep the frogs. Blame it on them.
Those french fellows did have devine skin. More frog proof!

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +1Reply
@Carla Licking frogs? New or old testament?

The missing middle part, obviously.

You can't just take a jump like that, between two different parts of the story, without something missing from the middle.

@Carla Ahhh, yes, of course. The middle.

I should write the middle part of the Bible...

Actually, that could be both a suicide and a huge success in the markets. Then again, Salman Rushdie didn't comply with the standards either.

@Carla I bet your middle would be as believable as part one and (three?)

And then God was apparently resting for a while, for in His holiness, being everywhere at every time of time was so horribly time consuming and golf hadn't been invented yet. Nor Scotland.

hehe smilie, well you know this was a good point because the trolls came out to disagree... and yet (so far) not a single logged in person has xp smiliebiggrin smilie

So far,
it's 9 users agree vs 12 anonymous...
so basically you're winning 9-0 xp smiliebiggrin smilie

Most reasonable people are put off by fanaticism, I think, even when it's a basic cause or belief they share.

Hey i balanced it out!

Yeah fanatics are funny. And we gotta play cards with them every night. Fortunately I've been playing my worst cards, and my worst cards still win...

especially cultlike worship of a single individual

Anonymous