+6

Just a little reminder, in case anyone needs one.

It was far from just Fox News commentators, who harshly criticized Trump's predecessor for his attempts at diplomacy with foreign leaders of countries not our allies. I saw it all the time in posts and comments, on another site many of us were members of. I do not recall the former president ever gushingly praising a brutal dictator, either...

Watch Fox News Personalities Slam Obama And Praise Trump Over The Same ThingNow that's a double standard.https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fox-news-trump-obama_us_5aab5c5ee4b05b2217fd9ee3
Piper2s avatar People & Celebrities
11 72

Well, it's Fox News. Double standards and hypocrisy is like air to them. They have proved that plenty of times.

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +8Reply
@2778248

"News personalities and people online slam presidents of the party with the opposing party/bias as theirs, but give "their" president a pass or applaud him, thus displaying their hypocrisy?"

MANY do. No reasonable person could really dispute that, unless they are blinded by their own bias towards whichever side they are most aligned with. Due to the preponderance of recent and past comments and posts that are solely fixated on the hypocrisy of "liberals", or anyone with left-leaning views...a reminder to some.

Nah, no shocker. yawn smilie No point in attempting to post the video again I guess, but just in case...

@2778447

You did not, and my comment was not intended to imply otherwise.

The video in the link with the post, was simply a compilation of various Fox News commentators blasting candidate Obama for even talking about meeting with foreign leaders considered our enemies. HuffPost was the only site I could find it on...I first heard it somewhere else. I did not realize the video I found on CNN had so much other commentary on it...my mistake. I am unable to listen to it now, due to getting a "video unavailable" when I try to.

I do appreciate you taking the time to share your views on Trump's meeting with and preliminary agreement with Kim Jong Un. I'm all for goodwill gestures and diplomacy, and have mentioned that many times in the past.
Yes, I agree that anyone who actually expects to Trump to change is at best delusional. His hyperbole would be more amusing, were he not to hold such a prominent and powerful position, however. It is certainly not just "liberals" who deride him for it, but yeah...I figure anyone can criticize the president of their or any country for his or her own words and actions, without passively accepting the the kind of vitriol and accusations that spurred this post.

@Piper2 "News personalities and people online slam presidents of the party with the opposing party/bias as theirs, but give...

Yep, you just got your ass handed to you. Don't worry Bozette has kicked my ass on multiple occasions. Go ahead, try to fight.

@2778210

Oh yes, I do recall your views on "the media"....since you've expressed them over and over and over.
As I mentioned though, it is far from just the "the media" that I heard and saw harshly criticizing Trump's predecessor for even talking about meeting with brutal foreign dictators, including Kim Jong Un.

@2778243

I'm quite sure that I've seen YOU express your disdain for "the media", numerous times.

Yeah, Fox News just might be the worst, as far as spin and bias.

I am aware that our current president has referred to the media as the enemy of the American people, except for the ones praising him at the time. Perhaps other presidents have too, in the distant past.

I welcome all civil responses to my posts.

Uhmmm, Obama was trying to HELP Iran Nuke Up

Trump is working on De Nuking.

You understand the difference - right?

You may not understand but when shifting from Not Friend to Friend typically you stop with the trash talk and start with the nice talk. Awe, don't worry, you guys will have learn soon enough.

@2778228

No Linn - but many of us think it would be better if he //were // a friend to us and the rest of the world. I realize that you are obviously not in that camp for some reason - I just can't fathom why.

Everyone is waiting to see what happens. No one knows if he's good for his word or not. If the past is any indication, then no. But, things can change - and maybe Kim changed. If he doesn't, what have we lost? Not pallets of money! And we can even resume war games which suddenly has become important to the left for some reason.

To assume he's a dick and treat him like a dick would seem to return dick-like results to me.

@2778233

Well, I'm glad you are not negotiating peace.

@2778636

Yeah, better to negotiate peace with people we're already friendly with. xp smilietongue smiliecyc smilie

Why waste time with someone that has been all those horrible things and has expressed an interest in changing? Regardless of how many North Koreans might benefit - Amirite?

@2778714

How many times must I write it before your read and understand Linn?

"Everyone is waiting to see what happens. No one knows if he's good for his word or not. If the past is any indication, then no. "

Maybe he won't give them up. But, maybe he finally understands that the only leverage he REALLY has is to give up the nukes!

You are suggesting that we assume the worst. Should we cut out all the waiting and just bomb the hell out 'em now?

Should we back off and let it all fester for another 50- 60 years?

Or should we take a chance at peace. A CHANCE THAT SO FAR COSTS US NOTHING.

@2778233

I think it's interesting that you thought of this parable.
I found this opinion written on dailyprogress.com March of 2017.

So who is wrong? You or the progressive rag?

"When the frog asks the scorpion why, the scorpion replies that it was in its nature to do so. “Just my nature, frog.” The moral of the story — the frog should have been aware of the scorpion's nature, and so we should always be aware of the true nature of those who surround us.

I've been thinking about that story a lot lately. How absolutely twisted is the lesson it imparts? So those who are good-hearted are at fault for trusting, for showing compassion, for loving? While the evil and morally ambiguous are excused? It's just their nature?

Is that the society we want? Is that the society we've created? Jaded and cruel? One in which we're all just potential marks and saps? Just our nature. Hmmm. Do we truly want to live in a society and world that punishes the innocence of the frog over the mendacity and guile of the scorpion? And let’s circle back to a central point of the story, the dueling natures of the two animals, particularly the simple-minded naiveté of the frog.

Naiveté or faith? Faith in the ability of one to redeem himself? Faith in the human spirit? Faith in a brotherhood that bonds us all? Consider this, the frog knew the scorpion was likely to sting him and still chose to carry him. Why? Because he wanted to give the scorpion an opportunity to redeem himself or to prove his self-worth or...he simply didn't want to pre-judge an individual, for how can we condemn someone for an action he has yet to commit?

I contend that we're looking at this parable from the wrong angle. It isn't the frog that is at fault here. He did what he is supposed to do — help someone in need. It's the scorpion's actions that need to be evaluated. He struck the frog, even though it killed him in the process. So, perhaps, the moral of the story should be — always fight your baser instincts, your selfishness, your greed, your self-destructive inner impulse, or what have you, because it not only hurts others but yourself as well. "

@2778640

So, it's better to live with the threat of Nuclear War than to try and fix it?

I wrote earlier - "
Everyone is waiting to see what happens. No one knows if he's good for his word or not. If the past is any indication, then no." No one is naïve here Linn. Someone being obnoxiously stubborn for no good reason though.

@2778708

NO ONE is certain this is the fix - NO ONE!
Even Trump has expressed his tentative feelings.

The resistance seems to be certain that anything Trump does - is not the fix. Automatically -
Trump did it - it's wrong.
Trump said it - it's immoral.
Trump wants it - it's bigoted.

It's getting a little old Linn.

@2778711

OK, I'm about done wasting my time explaining what is perfectly obvious.

You are being willfully ignorant on the topic of Trump.
I've given you perfectly reasonable comments and explanations and you come back with " devout Trump followers think he walks on water" and "his next real estate deal. Mar-A-Pyongyang is in the works ".

Think before your next comment Linn.

@Budwick No Linn - but many of us think it would be better if he //were // a friend to us and the rest of the world. I...

It doesn't matter what he does. All the liberals care about is that liberals are in charge. If conservatives bring World peace, end hunger, and end disease, they will still continue their infernal bitching. It's nauseating. They're hypocrites calling people hypocrites which makes them hypocrites.

@2778281

They make me sick. Even if you do good, if you're not a liberal, they'll say it's bad. The left has gone completely off the rails.

@2778317

I would have no problem with a woman president. All I want is the best person. Hillary is an abomination, that's why Trump won.

@Budwick Uhmmm, Obama was trying to HELP Iran Nuke Up Trump is working on De Nuking. You understand the difference -...

Actually the deal with Iran was about controlling their Nuclear capabilities, WITH VERIFICATION. Haven't heard anything about verify from Trump. But then again, Trump talked to Kim Jong Un for 45 minutes and knows how honest and trustworthy he is.
Don't get me wrong, this is a start, and I hope it leads to something, but I'm not holding my breath.

@2778287

Negotiations take time, but claiming victory after every meeting is just silly. It's a start, and I hope it does lead to NK ending its nuclear program, but I don't really need to hear a daily victory speech from Trump or his administration.

@Flrdsgns Negotiations take time, but claiming victory after every meeting is just silly. It's a start, and I hope it does...

Sour grapes Flanders - really.
Should we wait for the New York Times to point out that no other president has EVER had such a meeting with NK?

What's the big deal over admitting that was has been done is pretty cool and hoping it works out? Why does it have to be coupled with 'but he should have done it this way'?

@Budwick Sour grapes Flanders - really. Should we wait for the New York Times to point out that no other president has EVER...

Bud, I've already stated that the meeting is a historic event, and that I hope something comes of it. Any agreement has to start with a first meeting.

@Flrdsgns Bud, I've already stated that the meeting is a historic event, and that I hope something comes of it. Any...

Yeah, and then you added -
" but claiming victory after every meeting is just silly. ..., but I don't really need to hear a daily victory speech from Trump or his administration."

Have you ever known someone who is just never satisfied? It gets annoying.

@Flrdsgns Actually the deal with Iran was about controlling their Nuclear capabilities, WITH VERIFICATION. Haven't heard...

Holding your breath isn't required. Anyone with a memory is skeptical with good reason.

Gilding the lily regarding Iran however is not allowed.

What Obama said the deal was about and what it was really about seems to be different things. There hasn't been any verification. Iran hasn't allowed any verification. That's part of why Trump has told 'em to go fly a kite.

Trump DID talk verification, but this Korea deal isn't anything more than a concept right now. You and I in our last two comments have probably written more words than what Kim and Trump signed.

Anyway - give it a little time.

That is not the impression I ever got, from reading about the long lead up to and conclusion of the Iran nuclear deal.

Did you see anything in the text of this post, or in the link and video that compared or even mentioned the Iran accord?

Yeah Budwick, I understand that a degree of pleasantry and adherence to cultural decorum are a good idea when seeking a goal with even a brutal dictator.

@Piper2 That is not the impression I ever got, from reading about the long lead up to and conclusion of the Iran nuclear...

" the long lead up to and conclusion of the Iran nuclear deal. "
The deal that was super secretive?
Kept from the public eye?
Never presented to Congress?
Gave billions to our enemy?

Is THAT deal you read so much about?

Fox is an opinion channel, as is MSNBC, very little news on either station.

@Flrdsgns Fox is an opinion channel, as is MSNBC, very little news on either station.

Fox News does actually report news. Many of the commentators on MSNBC and Fox are extremely biased towards their side of the political aisle, without a doubt.

The meeting was a good thing. But, the praising and applauding him for what a good job he has done, turns my stomach.
As far as the hypocrisy of the party? Ive been shaking my head about that for months and months.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +5Reply
@Carla The meeting was a good thing. But, the praising and applauding him for what a good job he has done, turns my...

I think the meeting is potentially a good thing too, Carla. His over-the-top praise of Kim Jong Un, and seeming admiration for him and certain other brutal dictators is odd and unsettling to me as well, though.

@Piper2 I think the meeting is potentially a good thing too, Carla. His over-the-top praise of Kim Jong Un, and seeming...

Yes...
I think he has true admiration for them, while showing contempt for this nations true allies, whom i believe he sees as weak. I hope we can elect someone who can clean up the mess he is making.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +2Reply

To be honest, if Trump had decided to pull our armed forces out of that region and let them sort it out, I'd have been totally okay with that. I'm okay with him not signing the G7 fluff as well.

The only thing that really bothers me was him giving DPRK the photo-op. That shouldn't have happened.

I hate to think we have a potus so easily strung by his ego he can be manipulated into kissing the ass of a two-bit dictator just to feign accomplishment.

I do remember. Fox News, especially Hannity, criticized Obama for everything he tried to do or say. Even when he got Osama Bin Laden, they wouldn't give him credit for it.

Fox News badmouthed President Obama no matter what he tried to do, but they are letting Trump, a known liar, get away with anything. They need to wake up to the fact how dangerous Trump really is.

@StarzAbove I do remember. Fox News, especially Hannity, criticized Obama for everything he tried to do or say. Even when he...

Yes. So did numerous members of that other site some of us participated on for years...they did it every day, over and over. For wearing a tan suit..for bowing, or not bowing correctly....for being "too chummy" with a few foreign dictators. He was the anti-Christ, because a fly landed on his face.

Anyone who criticizes our current president, though, is blinded by and consumed by hate. d smilie

@Piper2 Yes. So did numerous members of that other site some of us participated on for years...they did it every day, over...

They laughed and hooted about the gift the Obamas gave Queen Elizabeth. In May 2009, conservatives criticized Obama as an elitist because he ordered a burger with "spicy mustard" or "Dijon mustard." Fox News host Sean Hannity ...

There were no scandals about the Obamas, a good husband, good father, only one wife.... too bad Trump can't say the same, three wives, cheated on all of them.

You're right, when we point out the scandals, the lies, the corruption of the Trump administration, they bring up Hillary.... I don't hate Trump, I hate what he's doing to our country. Some supporters need to take their head out of the sand before it's too late.

and the fail bubble gets bigger and bigger.....

To me, it’s kind of crazy when people claim Kim won something because of a “photo op”. I live in the “real” world. Does a photo somehow give Kim legitimacy for all the horrific things he has done? No. Are world leaders going to look at a picture of Kim shaking hands with the President of the United States and suddenly think they need to respect and admire Kim? No.

Just what does this picture really signify? It simply represents the fact that the dictator of N Korea and a President of the United States are finally talking, face to face. Can anyone give me an example of problems between countries being solved without such meetings?

Is anyone really simple minded enough to believe President Trump, or any other world leader, actually trusts Kim? All this was, was a meeting. Whether or not Kim will act in good faith can only be answered through time. Did President Trump show up to the meeting with pallets of money that he handed to Kim because Kim “promised” to do something? No. Is President Trump sending ships filled with food and relief aid to N Korea? No. (That was done by his predecessors)

Some claim the President gave concessions by canceling a military exercise. Do they understand what a military “exercise” even is? A military exercise is “practice”. I participated in those exercises in Korea in the past. Canceling an exercise, which can be resumed at any time, does not change our military capability or readiness one bit. To be honest here, canceling the UFL exercise will save the military millions of dollars.

Do I like Kim? No. Do I trust Kim? No. I don’t call it praise, when I am just “glad” to see him at the table talking, instead of launching missiles and issuing threats. I am disappointed in those who hate the President so much that they would rather see a war, (one that they personally don’t have to fight in) than give the President credit for getting Kim to the negotiation table. If the negotiations fail, then they fail. At least it’s a “chance” for something that we didn’t have before.

As to the claim that the Presidents predecessors did not “praise” a brutal dictator, they are wrong. Not only did ALL Trumps recent predecessors praise brutal dictators around the world, they also gave dictators and leaders of sadistic regimes, American tax dollars. (That's money out of MY pocket, and YOURS) They never addressed solving the problem. They simply delayed the problem, allowing it to get worse, and the dictators more powerful over time, hoping it would be the problem of someone else a few years down the road. They sold out American’s future for their “legacies”.

Just my two cents.

@JustJimColo To me, it’s kind of crazy when people claim Kim won something because of a “photo op”. I live in the...

From every thing ive read, the money given to iran did not all come from the us. And, it was their own dollars, frozen in many different banks around the world, for years.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +1Reply
@Carla From every thing ive read, the money given to iran did not all come from the us. And, it was their own dollars...

Carla, I'm not just talking about the money given to Iran by Obama. Here is a link to how much "aid" has been given to all countries.
https://explorer.usaid.gov/cd

It's interesting when you look, and find little tidbits, like the fact that we have given over 156 million in aid to Vietnam just in 2016.

The majority of aid goes to Africa.

Hell Carla, we even give aid to Canada.

@JustJimColo Carla, I'm not just talking about the money given to Iran by Obama. Here is a link to how much "aid" has been given...

I get giving aid to poor nations and the suffering people in them. If we are certain the aid actually reaches the people.
Im not well versed in the way aid is given or why. My sense tells me that foreign lobbies and who they lobby are the true benefactors.

Canada.....$$ for potholes. You should ride our roads.

Carlas avatar Carla Agree +2Reply

It's kind of ironic that we have given Zimbabwe over 260 million dollars since 2001 when their population is only 16 million people. (That's over 16 million dollars per person) Sounds crazy to me.

all news does that, news is crap and fake on both sides of the isle, you see CNN praise obama for things then bash trump for the same thing too. i avoid news for the most part altogether

if you bash fox for doing this but ignore CNN MSBN (or whatever that name is) and all other left wing news for doing it as bad as fox or worse, then you have double standards too and are as much hypocritical

@deusvult all news does that, news is crap and fake on both sides of the isle, you see CNN praise obama for things then bash...

I do not think all news is crap or fake. I think you might have been thinking of MSNBC, which is a decidedly biased news outlet as far as being left-leaning. Just like many Fox News commentators are definitely biased with their right-leaning views.

This particular post was about ONE glaring and undeniable double standard, and as mentioned...not exclusive to Fox News.

@2856730

What part of Just a little reminder, in case anyone needs one implies shock and mortification to you, exactly?

@2856829

Says in case anyone needs one, right there in the text of this 8 month old post. As I said to you back then..it is far from just the "the media" that I heard and saw harshly criticizing Trump's predecessor for even talking about meeting with brutal foreign dictators, including Kim Jong Un.

You don't need a reminder, fine. I don't need a reminder that liberal leaning folks can be just as hypocritical as anyone else, either, yet you and others go on about that here constantly. Especially you, and you have a problem with my ONE post...on brother. A post that has nothing remotely to do with what anyone should think, say, eat, read or tying their shoes either..of course.

@2856847

Ah yes...of course. That perception you have of liberals, is something you've expressed countless times. yawn smilie

@2856864

If you mean refuting your obviously firmly entrenched perception of what liberals think, to do so would surely be pointless. You "see what you see, hear what you hear, know what you know", after all, just as everyone else does.
MY perception is, that it is you who seems to think you are smarter than most everyone else... but hey, my perception could be just as wrong as yours is. eyes smilie

@2856901

I'm sure you are aware that that isn't what I said, either. What you think you prove, however, is once again your perception.

Whoever "y'all" is certainly does't include me....I've only said you are one of those things.

I'm sure you know a lot more about some things, than I and many others do.

I don't need a reminder.

That's why I quit watching lame stream media long ago.
Nothing but back and forth drama..
They all suck...whether it's the channel that represents your party or not..

They do stay on the air, so obviously there are lots of people that think only the channel that represents them is telling the truth..

@DandyDon I don't need a reminder. That's why I quit watching lame stream media long ago. Nothing but back and forth...

I don't doubt that one, bit, DD.

A person doesn't need to watch "lame stream" media though, to notice that double standards are far, far from exclusive to the the left. It does get tiresome after awhile, to see those who simply criticize this president being accused of "blind seething hatred" over and over, for instance.

@Piper2 I don't doubt that one, bit, DD. A person doesn't need to watch "lame stream" media though, to notice that...

You're right and that's something that will never end..for any president.

From George Washington to present day.
The president is either... the best thing since sliced bread to some and at the same time...a blithering idiot to others.

Ultimately the only thing that really matters(In my opinion) is the vote that everyone is given and how they chose to use it.

The rest in between of 2 sides bickering with each other, doesn't amount to a hill of beans..to me.

That's why I do my best not to entertain it.