+4

Remember when people here screamed that Shariah Law would take over the Constitution? Today several top US officials used the Bible to justify traumatizing children by tearing them away from their parents. That my friends is hypocrisy at its finest. Theocracy is theocracy whether Muslim or Christian. This must not go unchallenged.

Image for post Remember when people here screamed that Shariah Law would take over the Constitution?  Today several top US officials used the Bible to justify traumatizing children by tearing them away from their parents.  That my friends is hypocrisy at its finest.  Theocracy is theocracy whether Muslim or Christian.  This must not go unchallenged.
VicZincs avatar
4 59

You mean, the people who are okay with swearing on a Bible instead of the Constitution, but shit bricks when a congress member did the same with the Quran, now think the Bible is something you can use to justify making decisions in the law, while before they went into a rage just with the simple thought of another religion being used the same way on their country?

Sofias avatar Sofia Agree +5Reply
@2778958

Same here, he quotes scripture and then tears a nursing baby out of its mother's arm. How is that for being a good Christian? The man is sick and now, of course, Trump is blaming the Democrats for what is going on, when all he has to do is say..."Stop this crap."

@2779129

Exactly, he's been in office for 16 months, it's time he accepted the responsibility of the office and fix things.

He's now throwing Manafort under the bus, saying he doesn't know much about him. For gosh sakes, the man was his Campaign Manager. Now that he's going to jail wonder how long it will take Trump to pardon this crook?

@2779134

Trump expects loyalty from everyone, but isn't willing to give loyalty to anyone. It will really shake things up when Cohen starts talking, and I'm sure he will rather than face jail time.

@2779139

One never knows what Trump will do. He might be so mad at him, he'll let him rot in jail, or he might pardon him before his trial comes up....that's what I'm expecting him to do.

@2779149

That's what I thought.

Religion is about making you feel good about yourself and even perhaps being a good human being towards others.

Hatred. Well... I think Hitler used most of the mustard gas.

We shouldn't be making more of it.

@2779156

It is a slippery slope to start using religious text to justify legal decisions.

He either agrees with the practice or he doesn't.

If he thinks it is wrong, but that he is bound 'by law' to do it - and he justifies going against his personal moral compass to himself (or others) with the logic that the bible tells me I have to. He shoudl step down and tell the president I cannot moral do what you have asked me to do.

Or, he thinks it is morally OK to rip nursing babies from their mothers breast. But he is just placating those who disagree by using the bible to justify his actions they find immoral.

Both choice are reprehensible. Either way he used the bible to //"address the concerns of religious people that had been brought to his attention regarding immigration" // Same as the Caliphate uses the Koran to justify stoning adulterers and removing girls clitorises.

Either he puts the wishes of his president above his own moral compass, or he panders to the religious by pretending to follow the teaching of their faith.

@2779233

I challenge him (or you) to produce the law or statute that states "ICE must immediately separate a woman from her infant as soon as they arrive at the border seeking asylum."

Where is that law? It does not exist. Were the Nazi camp commandants simply 'upholding the law'?

This is not hyperbole, this is our government making a mockery out of America's moral compass It is my duty a as patriot to stand and shout that we will not stand for this!

@2779249

I didn't say to give them a pass. Don't be a jackboot, call your directive a law and then invoke religious text when people who share your faith call you out.

@2779308

Detain, eject, but don't be cruel.

@2779332

Then detain them without being cruel.

@2779347

What do you suggest?

How about if we give them jobs?

@2779406

I suggest not treating them like cargo.

@2779425

a human rights abuse being committed by the United States Government.

@2779521

What question? Are you asking way I am so stupid that I often make typos? Are you asking rather any mod would happily correct a typo if asked? Are you asking how a supposed atheist can have more compassion than a bible quoting modern Himmler? Are you asking why 75% of people agree with me and only 25% agree with You? Are you asking me to define gargo? That one is easy, gargo is a typo. I meant cargo and had a moderator fix it.

@2779553

Here is what I would do, not that it matters because I have no authority.

Instead of pushing for a wall I would work with Mexico to create a safe zone/ cooperative along the border on the land that would (in theory) house the wall. Let "Trump" industries build housing. Let big Argi business build farms, let the auto industry build factories - and let anyone [from either side of the border] who wants to work join the coop. The coop members would work for a combination of wages and shares. Shares could not be traded or sold but could be passed down generationally. Shares would entitle the members to dividends and/or debt on a profit and loss basis with wages paid out of the profits from the production.

Solves the need for a "wall". Answer what to do with immigrants. Provides profitability for Trump and his capitalist pig cronies. Creates much needed jobs for Mexicans and some Americans. Produces vegetables and cars that we currently buy from Mexico. Keeps the members from voting in US elections or receiving free education/welfare etc.

Or we could just let them stay together as a family until we finish processing their applications and either let them out of kick them out. Surely Trump can build family units to house them for as cheap as he can build a wall. Mexico might actually be will in pitch in on that.

@2779585

You're right.

@2779051

They are separating families at the boarder who are legally seeking asylum. You are on the wrong side of this issue. These are not criminals, they are asylum seekers. They have not even had a day in court.

@2779433

We chose to realize that potential, not to mitigate it. We could make other choices but instead we choose a less cruel alternative, but we are (apparent) happy to be seen as uncivilized as North Korea.

@2779523

Your lack of humanity has me "trumped".

@2779557

Agreed.
Ripping nursing babies from their mother breast does.

Faith groups/faith leaders that have publicly condemned Trump’s and Session’s “zero tolerance policy” that separates families.

• The president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops and individual bishops have called for inspection of detention centers, protests, and possible “canonical penalties” for those who enforce the policies.
• The Southern Baptist Convention passed a resolution calling for immigration reform that maintains “the priority of family unity.”
• Franklin Graham, longtime supporter of Trump, said of the practice: “It’s disgraceful, and it’s terrible to see families ripped apart and I don’t support that one bit.”
• The African Methodist Episcopal Church said Sessions’ attempt to justify the practice “in addition to being sad and sinful, shows a deep misunderstanding of the transforming truth of scripture.”
• Bishop Michael Curry, presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church. You may remember him as the preacher at the royal wedding.
• Head of the Armenian Church of America
• Head of the Islamic Society of North America
• Head of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
• Head of the Moravian Church Southern (and northern) Province
• Head of the Mennonite Church USA
• Head of the Disciples of Christ
• Head of the Union for Reform Judaism
• Head of the Islamic Relief USA
• Leaders of the Presbyterian Church (USA)
• Leaders of the Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism
• Leaders of the Reformed Church in America
• Leaders of the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church
• Leaders of the International Council of Community Churches
• Leaders of the Quakers
• Evangelical leaders condemned the policy in a letter. Signers included Rev. Samuel Rodriguez, who read scripture at Trump’s inauguration, as well as Leith Anderson, President of the National Association of Evangelicals
• Scott Arbeiter, President of World Relief
• Shirley V. Hoogstra, Prex of Council for Christian Colleges and Universities
• Hyepin Im, President & CEO of Korean Churches for Community Development
• Jo Anne Lyon, Ambassador for The Wesleyan Church
• Russell Moore, President of the SBC’s Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission
• Richard Stearns, President of World Vision
• 26 different Jewish organizations sent a letter condemning the policy
• The Council of Bishops of The United Methodist Church also passionately called on admin to end the policy. Sessions is reportedly Methodist.
• Church World Service, which regularly advocates for immigrants, also condemned the policy.
• More than 2,500 women faith leaders signed a letter demanding the policy be brought to an end
• The UMC’s General Board of Church and Society put out a statement
• The General Board of Church and Society
• ‏The Unitarian Universalist Association
• Johnnie Moore, the spokesperson for Trump’s unofficial evangelical advisory council, is critical of Sessions’ argument.
• The head of the Washington National Cathedral.
• Rev. William Barber and Rev. Liz Theoharris if the Poor People’s Campaign.
• Jewish Orthodox Union
• World Vision, an evangelical Christian organization

Plus, literally 100s of smaller faith based groups who have spoken out in social media or on mass media.

@2779023

Sorry but I think my Sunday school teacher got their before you.

If you want to use the bible to support the government you are no better than a Caliphate. Your religious bible has no more standing in this country that the Koran, the Talmud or the Torah. This is not a theocracy.

@2779202

They can have any philosophy they want. It is a slippery slope to start using religious text to justify legal decisions. It is one step away from Sharia law.

@2779214

Sometimes the law is wrong. In this case he is interpreting the law in a morally repugnant way.

I challenge him to produce the law or statute that states "ICE must immediately separate a woman from her infant as soon as they arrive at the border seeking asylum."

Where is that law?

@2779244

Cruel but effective. Some people think that is a fair compromise. I doubt it.

I call BS.
This post is BS.

It is based on lies to support the OP's progressive agenda.

Budwicks avatar Budwick Disagree 0Reply