+12

Responsible parents teach their kids never to point a gun at something you don't intend to fire at or kill because that's its function, to kill. Responsible citizens should never point the "law" at someone or an act that isn't worth taking a life because ultimately, people with guns must enforce that law and it could result in the taking of a life. Responsible citizens must ask: "Is it worth this?"

I think that's the true definition of self-ownership & good citizenship:
Not simply to take responsibility for yourself, your choices and the consequences, but also for the role you play in "solving" your community's or country's problems and their consequences.
We should seek real mutual solutions to problems and not outsource every grievance or dispute to people with guns just because we can.
If when crafting the law we "aimed" it with the same respect and caution as a loaded weapon, fewer innocent people would be harmed by it.

http://i.imgur.com/5FVb4M3.gif
ForkNdaRoads avatar People & Celebrities
7 29
@2780996

This premise is really stunning at the state-level when you consider how many different statutes and regulations there are professing to save us from ourselves, more than anything else.

That's not to suggest that all regulation is violent due to enforcement, but I think all of society benefits when we stop to appreciate or at least consider the power behind the words politicians throw around so freely.

@2781357

I know, it's astonishing.

A friend I've known since my teens, she's a speech-pathologist, put together a program to educate local law enforcement on the markers of those on the Autism spectrum, or the noncommunicative, for that very reason.

Sounds like something to aspire to.

But right now, bitching and moaning over every stupid thing under the Sun seems to be working pretty well.

@Budwick Sounds like something to aspire to. But right now, bitching and moaning over every stupid thing under the Sun...

Bitching and moaning has proven a time-honored diversion for politicians of all stripes who'd rather us discuss anything other than the results of their policies. They'll probably stop doing it when it stops working.

Just this morning I heard Gowdy 'bitching and moaning' (i.e. reading his "remarks" from a sheet of paper) for what seemed like half an hour about the IG report. He talked himself in circles insinuating that because two agents in a text change were bias their whole team, investigation and its outcome must have been bias. Somehow this was all the fault of the IG he was blowing on.

I was really referring more to us as citizens...

@ForkNdaRoad Bitching and moaning has proven a time-honored diversion for politicians of all stripes who'd rather us discuss...

In fairness, he was talking IG about the report and the inspector genera apparently didn't recognize bias when it bit him the ass.

Interesting that your frustration was with Gowdy and not the obvious misleading report.

@Budwick In fairness, he was talking IG about the report and the inspector genera apparently didn't recognize bias when it...

I watched it, he was floating guilt by association... Poorly, at that. By Gowdy's estimation all of govt. and any of their efforts are biased because a few are biased. It's a fallacy for a reason, it's illogical.

@ForkNdaRoad I watched it, he was floating guilt by association... Poorly, at that. By Gowdy's estimation all of govt. and any...

I don't understand "floating guilt by association".

Are you sure you aren't extrapolating his comments on your own? Or, did you hear him bashing all of government based on the obvious bias that somehow escaped the IG?

@Budwick I don't understand "floating guilt by association". Are you sure you aren't extrapolating his comments on your...

"I watched it, he was floating guilt by association... Poorly, at that. "

The asinine suggestion Gowdy made was that the investigation was biased because two agents seemed biased. Two agents being biased isn't not itself evidence of a biased investigation, much less biased findings.

"By Gowdy's estimation all of govt. and any of their efforts are biased because a few are biased. It's a fallacy [guilt by association] for a reason, it's illogical."

I simply followed Gowdy's fallacy to its illogical end. Gowdy suggesting investigation findings were biased because of the apparent bias of two agents is as illogical as suggesting the entire govt. is corrupt because a few officials have been caught in corruption.

The IG requires more than guilt by association to deem an entire investigation biased. Gowdy knows that, he simply ignored it to play politics; e.g. he's "bitching and moaning."

@ForkNdaRoad "I watched it, he was floating guilt by association... Poorly, at that. " The asinine suggestion Gowdy made was...

OK, let me be more clear -
FLOATING guilt? What does FLOATING mean in this context?

If the agents performing the investigation were biased, the investigation WAS biased. Seems clear to me.

@Budwick OK, let me be more clear - FLOATING guilt? What does FLOATING mean in this context? If the agents performing the...

Floating:
not settled in a definite place

Like, floating an idea of guilt by association. You seem to be preoccupied with Gowdy's floaters. lmao (I couldn't resist.)

It's easy to arrive at what you might think is a clear conclusion to everyone when it is the conclusion you prefer. Not so much when that conclusion requires supporting evidence.

@2781168

I think it was the foot, wasn't it?

@2781297

And it happened as he was leading an gun safety course... Yowzer, that's gonna be bad for business.

@2787679

I don't discount that some both want and need to be ruled over. Well said.

@2781481

"in other words
the MOB of PANTI-FA didn't like the looks of the trump supporter or his political views
they commenced to attack like a wild African dog pack"

Hmm... Guess I hit another nerve.

Today's topic is "personal responsibility," for $100 Alex.

@2781962

Emphasis on personal... Unless you're Fonda, which I doubt.

He's a fool, did you need me to tell you that?

@2783107

Hmm, I suspect people would be more inclined to here such examples when they're relevant to the topic at hand.

@2783116

Good luck with all that... I'm pretty sure you're the only one playin'...

I just wish law enforcement was trained to maim rather than kill.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred I just wish law enforcement was trained to maim rather than kill.

I just wish they'd remember their "suspects" are just that, "suspected" of a crime, not "guilty" of a crime.

Sure yet that must be difficult when someone is charging at you. Or people might try cooperating with the police instead

Anonymous