+1

Singleness: What the Bible says about being single?

WonderMans avatar
2 4

One of the first things God did was to make a partner for Man.

Genesis 2:18 - And the LORD God said, [It is] not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an helper suitable for him.

That kind of makes me think that God's favors marriage.

However in Corinthians the Apostle Paul says that marriage can be a distraction. Marriage necessitates devotion to our mates. Married people must meet the daily demands of life. Their concerns are more divided about those issues than the single person.

1 Corinthians 7:32-35 - But I would have you without carefulness. He that is unmarried careth for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord.

There's a lot of instruction in the Bible about how husband and wife should be with one another and with God. Single people should view their singleness as a special opportunity to serve the Lord.

Some verses imply it’s necessary, others basically say it’s a trap. Go with what resonates with you.

Mashas avatar Masha Agree +1Reply