+8

By 2050 There Will be More Plastic Than Fish in the Ocean

That's messed up.
Plastic kills millions of ocean animals every year and when the ocean dies we die.
Coke makes 128 billion plastic bottles a year. The US tosses 100 billion single use plastic bags and 500 million plastic straws a year.
Do I really need my cheese slices individually wrapped?
I wonder if we should stop using so much plastic.

urwutuiss avatar Animals & Nature
5 15
@2781948

Rooster someday I hope there will be a company that decides all that plastic should be rounded up and reused to make something. A lot of the bottles and bags that are recycled end up as flooring ot benches. If only they could devise a way to make a home from nothing but plastic. The too many people will always need homes.

I'm trying. I recently started using the reusable shopping bags, I buy my soda in cans, reuse ziplock bags, recycle everything. Maybe if people wake up we'll clean that mess up.

@urwutuis Me too. I'm sure you've noticed it takes quite a bit of effort. The stuff is everywhere.

I pile the recycling in the basement and, when the wife yells at me, take it to be reprocessed.

Those plastic water bottles and grocery bag are everywhere for sure. Our store recycles their bags but people are so lazy, they just toss them in the trash. I don't understand how anyone can not care. Actually, they throw everything in the trash.

@JerryHendrickson I pile the recycling in the basement and, when the wife yells at me, take it to be reprocessed. Those plastic...

Jerry Maine recycles plastic bottles does your state? I wish it as a federal law. Even if some lazy person throws a bottle on the ground there are people who walk around all the time collecting them for the recycle refund 5 cents for every bottle or can. Sadly most are homeless people who use the money for butts and beer.

I have a huge pile out back that I keep hidden from "she who must be obeyed" until I develop enough motivation to take it to recycle.
About every 6 months.

I know the plastic has got to stop. Wonder why everyone has decided only plastic is good for every reason. I have been noticing eggs are in plastic now - Iskip that type and get the regular mushed cardboard box. Then I always ask for a paper bag, if i forget my reusable bags. more fits in there, than a hundred plastic bags.

They put all of that stuff in land fills in my area.

Better than the ocean but that plastic sticks around not composting like paper will. Even the plastic trash bags are a hazard. I have a dumpster in my community so I dump out my plastic bags and reuse them. That way all the cardboard and paper I throw out can eventually turn into soil again.

As grim as it sounds, this couldn’t be further from the truth.

Not if people start to actually stand together to make a positive change instead of remaining inactive and indifferent.

Vrendowls avatar Vrendowl Disagree 0Reply
Anonymous