There's an old saying that death comes in threes....I've seen it happen many times. Have you experienced that in your lifetime?

I lost one of my best friends this past week, in fact her funeral was yesterday. I'm certainly hoping that the "three" thing doesn't happen to anyone else that I know. But there are three celebrities that have died recently. Anthony Boudain...CNN, Charles Krauthammer...Fox News, and a drummer Vinnie Paul Abbott, who I'm not familiar with. RIP!

Image for post There's an old saying that death comes in threes....I've seen it happen many times.   Have you experienced that in your lifetime?
StarzAboves avatar
3 29
The people are still deciding if StarzAbove is right or wrong. Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

It does seem that way. I was saddened to learn of your loss.

Yes, and in the period of 3 years. I lost my aunt, then my brother and my great grandfather. I was young, 12 when my brother passed, that was my introduction to death / loss. I'm still processing it to be completely honest.

@StarzAbove So sorry for your loss. I've had it happen many times....maybe not kin but good friends.

Likewise. The one positive is it puts things in proper perspective, makes you reevaluate how and upon what you place your highest values, gives you greater appreciation for the time you have with the people you love.

@ForkNdaRoad Likewise. The one positive is it puts things in proper perspective, makes you reevaluate how and upon what you...

YES. I felt that clarity about what is really important most profoundly when my mother died 28 years ago.

@Piper2 YES. I felt that clarity about what is really important most profoundly when my mother died 28 years ago.

That's awful Piper, sorry for your loss. I understand that feeling.

My Great Grandparents raised my siblings and me in our youngest formative years. Most of our 'family' time as kids was with them and when we technically lived with my parents, we were actually in the care of my brother. At the time they passed, it felt very much like losing parental figures. That's incredibly traumatic no matter your age. You're forever changed. My value placement as it relates to possessions was especially altered after that.

It does wake you up, in a sense, to how fragile it all is... How we are. The things we hold on to, or let go of, how we spend our time, what we invest in. It's all such a delicate balance even at our best selves.

@ForkNdaRoad That's awful Piper, sorry for your loss. I understand that feeling. My Great Grandparents raised my siblings and...

That loss was around half my lifetime ago, but thank you, Tink. My father was written off to die during that 2 year period too, but he defied the odds. Seeing and feeling his grief, was just as painful as my own. If I'd ever had any delusion that life was fair, it definitely ended then.

I was not a child, though. I was spared that particular kind of trauma of losing people so important to me and so loved, when I was as young as you were.

@Piper2 That loss was around half my lifetime ago, but thank you, Tink. My father was written off to die during that 2...

That's the truest struggle I know of, watching a life in pain and being incapable of remedying their suffering. Boy howdy, there's no justice in this place. I understand completely the bitterness people have about it. I try not to be resentful because it just doesn't accomplish anything, but I fully understand it.

Although, true to their nature, I was not only made better by their love, but also by their passing. That's humbling, but mostly I'm just grateful for them as I'm sure you are too :)

@StarzAbove So sorry for your loss, my friend. Losing a mother is so painful, one never forgets.

Thank you. I've lost many loved ones since, but that was my first experience with such an overwhelming grief.

No, not with loved ones dying. Really bad stuff happening in a relatively short time period, for sure. That has often included the death of a being I loved...yes.

Sorry to hear about your friend, Starz.

@Piper2 No, not with loved ones dying. Really bad stuff happening in a relatively short time period, for sure...

I've heard that as well. Maybe the number three should be deleted from our vocabulary...you think?

Thanks Piper, I really miss her.

I've noticed this. But if you go onto like say Wikipedia and look for the deaths page, you might see at least three people you might remotely recognise every day. Notability counts there, so it's not just anyone. Personally, i don't think i've noticed threes, my paternal grandmum died in 2008, my maternal grandfather died in 2002, my paternal grandfather died in 2012.

Unfortunately I never knew either of my grandfathers. But was close to my grandmothers. An uncle i was close to, died in 2014. Not close to my dad's side at all much, so i wouldn't see threes there.

But, celebrity deaths do sometimes make threes strangely. Avicii (I knew Avicii's stuff), XXXtenacion (hardly knew him, but i saw him last year in the list of Spotify Grammy Award songs), Vinnie. Considerably, the magic numbers i see more often is 7, 13 and 14.

I'm very sorry bout your good friend

Yes I've seen it happen with celebrities and some group of people, though nothing close to me (luckily).

I still remember one time, two celebrities died, and people were saying that they come I three, I was very much doubting it... then it happened. A short time later another one died, and I jokingly said they come in threes.... but yeah it happened again... then a short time later another celebrity died... and I was like, please no, please no, not again, and it happened.

And well, 3 sets of 3 died in like 4 to 5 weeks.... it was nuts. I usually love seeing and noticing pattern but I hated that one.

@Zolfie I'm very sorry bout your good friend Yes I've seen it happen with celebrities and some group of people, though...

Thanks Zolfie, I especially miss her today....I always sat with her in church.

I've seen it happen a lot in threes....sometimes celebrities, and other times friends of mine. Sad.

@2784802

So sorry for your loss.

@2784789

I didn't choose it, it happens more times than not. Just because you didn't hear it, doesn't make it false.

Ridiculous ... Death comes in 105 per minute

Anonymous