+2

Do photon only exist in motion state? Can a photon exist in stable state and still be visible? What is pushing a photon keep going at constant speed? I want to know the answer of this question. I have already asked this question on Quora.com but they asked me to correct my grammer and sentence. English is not my first language. thanks

WonderMans avatar
1 11
@2784790

Here. Try one of these if you want to observe a photon. biggrin smilie

https://www.thorlabs.com/thorpr...SABEgIANvD_BwE

We come to the basic principle of - just as that_guy noticed - of knowing the speed and the place of certain object. Now, according to Heisenberg (not the drug dealer from the telly show, I'm afraid), you can never know both of them precisely. You can know the speed, but not the position. You can know the position, but not the speed. Those two things cancel each other out.

A photon cannot really exist as a simple particle, since it doesn't have any mass. Unlike electrons, photons are born at... I think even my English isn't enough to cover the subject properly. Let's just say, that in the layman's terms: no.

What I can tell you in other layman's terms is... Surprise... The speed of light is not constant all over the Multiverse. Even in our own galaxy, there are variations between the speed of light, when it comes to both north/south axis of our planet and I'm not about the observational speed of light. It has been measured, that certain objects move much faster than they should, even exceeding the barrier set up by Mr. Einstein.

This, though, isn't surprising, since I have been in contact with five different alien species during my time with Finnish mil.int. ("Opisto"), as the liaison officer between us and NATO. Anyways, as far as I know, they use a special "bubble" tech, which sounds pretty much like the warp engine from Star Trek. I have no idea, how they do it. I have no specs to offer.

@2785266

Imprecise.

No charge is stored in the (electrically neutral) insulator, because no charge ever enters or leaves it. What happens when charge is placed on the conducting plates is that the insulator is polarized; i.e., existing molecular positive and negative charges are separated into what are called induced dipole moments.

And what you call eta (the electrical permittivity) is given the symbol epsilon in any text I've ever seen.

Nothing has to push a photon to go at constant speed. If it scatters off a particle (e.g., an electron in the Compton Effect), it will change wavelength, but not its speed.

The energy E of a photon is E = hc/λ, where h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light and λ is the wavelength of the photon. If the photon loses energy, neither constant changes, but the wavelength λ gets longer, corresponding to a less energetic photon.