+6

Quite Impressive! A Belgian boy is headed to university after graduating high school at age of 8.

Laurent Simons has an IQ of 145 according to his parents, collected a diploma with a class of 18-year-olds. Laurent said his favourite subject was maths "because it's so vast, there's statistics, geometry, algebra". After a two-month holiday from school, he will start university. His father said his son had struggled when he was younger to play with other children, and had not been particularly interested in toys.

Belgian boy Laurent Simons heads off to university aged 8 - BBC NewsLaurent Simons earns a secondary school diploma alongside his 18-year-old classmates.https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44668452Image for post Quite Impressive! A Belgian boy is headed to university after graduating high school at age of 8.
Zolfies avatar Language
5 33

We had a few of these wunderkinds at the university. They are awe inspiring, but finding a niche socially can be a challenge for them.

@2787352

Is that because the clever fairy has gotten on your case? hehe smiliexp smilie

@2787412

That's all the thanks I get after being sooo nice to you since New Years?  Sheesh!

@2787779

Now just a minute!

I didn't say 'enjoy it while you can'.    biggrin smilie

@2787788

Moi?  Devious smile...?

@2787791

yeah not by beautiful tinker
but maybe our own thinker
she'll bring pain
and make it rain
because she's still a stinker

@2788097

Na, I think you're better than me too. That might be my best one right there and I've had some aweful ones xp smilie

@2787791

Whether in a dank pub or a bar,
Or in an oriental bazaar,
A flattering tongue
And sweet praises sung,
Will get you to places quite far.

Not sure what the child labor laws are in EU or Belgium ... but in the US, he wouldn't be able to get a job after graduating university with a Bachelor's (4-year degree). As he will only be 12 or 13, at the time.

Of course, that would give him an excuse to get a Masters or Doctorate. LOL

@Walt_OReagun Not sure what the child labor laws are in EU or Belgium ... but in the US, he wouldn't be able to get a job after...

Yes give him an excuse to keep getting higher degrees, lol.

Though I do wonder if the US government would give kids like him an exception and allow him to get a job, at least a part time job or paid internship. I think they would, if his parents signed off on it, and maybe made sure someone was watching over him (like a manager).

@Zolfie Yes give him an excuse to keep getting higher degrees, lol. Though I do wonder if the US government would give...

You would have to first find an employer willing to hire him ... then argue the case before both the federal and state governments. (You wouldn't have standing for a case, until finding a potential employer so you could show you were "harmed" by the law.)

@Walt_OReagun You would have to first find an employer willing to hire him ... then argue the case before both the federal and...

Or they could simply break the law and hire him, as most likely would happen... and then if the law tried to stop them (which they probably wouldn't unless something else was wrong) then take it to court.

@Zolfie Or they could simply break the law and hire him, as most likely would happen... and then if the law tried to stop...

Or that.

Though from personal experience, if they paid "the kid" equal or more than an adult, one of his coworkers would get upset and blow the whistle. That tends to be how the majority of work law violations are discovered.

And businesses are assumed guilty until proven innocent in work law (such as child labor), so he would be forbidden from working until the case was settled.

@Walt_OReagun Or that. Though from personal experience, if they paid "the kid" equal or more than an adult, one of his coworkers...

That's why I would think they would use an internship or apprenticeship title, and not an actual job title. Though I figure there is some process to easily get though this (if parents give permission), though I don't what it is.

Professor by 14 teaching 18 year old oiks? Real danger of him becoming a social misfit

Prodigy!))

Mashas avatar Masha Agree +2Reply

Well, my IQ is 138 and I had to struggle through my schools. Perhaps I was distracted by things, that most eight year olds don't pay that much attention to yet.

EDIT: Also, our educational system has never been flexible. Much less some thirty+ years ago.

EDIT #2: I wonder, if that little guy ever got seriously teased by other children. I always got shanked in the back, every moment I turned by back on them. Fucking school years. I hate them, even today.

A real life Sheldon Cooper? Hope he's not as annoying.