Wunderscores avatar Life
3 38

Personally, I love to bat around loads of different perspectives, whether or not I actually believe in them, because I think it's interesting and stimulating to consider other peoples' perspectives. But many conversations I've had here and in real life have been restricted to what people truly believe instead. Neither approach is better or worse than the other but I was curious to see if my approach is the strange one

Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore I dabble in both types of thinking +1Reply

It depends on what it is. Somethings interest me and others don't. Most of the time I just listen until my interest is satisfied. :)

Will_Janitors avatar Will_Janitor I dabble in both types of thinking 0Reply

I think the whole main stream science stands on thematic ideas we should keep in mind that

correction: theoretic

Just theory. that's all I care about.

VicZincs avatar VicZinc I love talking about theoretical alternatives 0Reply
@VicZinc Just theory. that's all I care about.

I think I'll agree with that actually. Everything you think is based in some way on how you interpret your reality, but talking only about facts gets boring very quickly

People would rather talk about the things they believe are true because elaborating on something you dont believe in feels kinda self-contradicting when you have discussions about facts. Otherwise when it's about topics that have two sides they have their pros and cons, I'd definitely try to see both sides so I can truly understand the person on the other side of the argument. That is unless the person is clinging to their opinion because of something irrational such as an emotion instead of actual thinking.

@Wunderscore but...

That is because my understanding is that there is no god. Because I'd rather follow scientific knowledge rather than to believe that some being just snapped his fingers and made us exist simply because it's a simpler explanation. With my knowledge in biology and chemistry I can not accept religion as the answer because there is no good explanation. Religion itself is contradictory because every religion is a theist for its own and an atheist for other religions.

Are you telling me that I'm a hypocrite?

@Sunny_the_skeptic That is because my understanding is that there is no god. Because I'd rather follow scientific knowledge rather...

No, I'm just doubtful that you placed yourself in the right category in this post. And I think this comment, in which you state that you only see reason in the facts you support and cannot or will not consider the alternatives, affirms that

Wunderscores avatar Wunderscore I dabble in both types of thinking 0Reply
@Wunderscore No, I'm just doubtful that you placed yourself in the right category in this post. And I think this comment, in...

That's one way of seeing it, another way could be that I have not seen a reason to believe the other side, I will gladly consider it when there is proof.

@Wunderscore that kind of contradicts the idea of a theoretical alternative, no?

Calling something a theory would assume that it's been tested and accepted as truth. A hypothesis would be more suitable in that case.

@Sunny_the_skeptic

yeah, that's the second definition listed

@Wunderscore yeah, that's the second definition listed

Yes, confirming that the word theory is unsuitable for suggestions or speculations.

@Sunny_the_skeptic Yes, confirming that the word theory is unsuitable for suggestions or speculations.

not if you're using the first definition of the word. welcome to the weird and wonderful English language

and the "theoretical" alternatives you listed (abortion, etc.) aren't your definition of "theoretical" so it seems strange to be switching which definition you're using now

@Wunderscore not if you're using the first definition of the word. welcome to the weird and wonderful English language and the...

But... what I understand from the first definition is that an idea being theoretical is just the opposite of practical, as in the idea is applied verbally and not physically. If theory meant speculation then the meanings of the word would contradict themselves, the dictionary people wouldn't allow this.

As in saying that overheating water will turn it into steam instead of actually doing it.

@Wunderscore oh shoot my bad I've switched the first and second

Don't tell me you're losing your edge, you don't usually trip.

@Sunny_the_skeptic What exactly?

"you don't usually trip"

@Wunderscore "you don't usually trip"

Forgive me, with all that's been said it's not easy to keep track what either of us is referring to exactly without being specific.
I spoke out of my experience.

It's not suitable to always to fully immerse yourself in an alternate idea. If I told you women gave birth from their mouths and not their vaginas would you take my words just for the sake of consideration?

@Wunderscore Well the baby does come out of her lips

The point being, knowing you and your rationality you wouldn't accept an alternative of something that you already know as a fact ESPECIALLY if that suggestion is ridiculous.

When I said to consider the other side I meant on issues not based on truth or false but rather wrong or right for instance pro life or pro abortion, politics and etc.

It depends on what the subject and my mood.

Zolfies avatar Zolfie I dabble in both types of thinking 0Reply

Wunderscore, it's so good to see you... well, your post(s); I hope that'll encourage more from you :)

PartyOfOnes avatar PartyOfOne I prefer to talk about what I see as facts 0Reply

This question was up yesterday and still here today, I am bored with it now. You all can carry on having funhug smilie

Depends on subject and possible psychotropics.

Fizzyoids avatar Fizzyoid I dabble in both types of thinking 0Reply