Reporter resigns after false tweet that Maryland shooting suspect had MAGA hat Why Do Reporters Lie?

Conor Berry, who wrote for the Republican, tweeted an image of a MAGA hat Thursday, and suggested that the suspect had left it behind at the Gazette office after allegedly killing five Gazette employees.

Conor Berry, who worked for the Springfield, Massachusetts paper, The Republican, said his tweet was meant to be a "snarky, sarcastic, cynical remark."

Backlash was swift. Berry deleted the tweet and apologized in a follow-up tweet Friday morning.

Folks, My 21-year career as a "journalist," a fancy term that makes my skin crawl, frankly, came to a screeching halt yesterday with one stupid, regrettable tweet. Can't take it back; wish I could. My sincere apologies to all good, hardworking reporters and to POTUS supporters.
— CONOR BERRY (@CBerry413) June 29, 2018

Lying journalists are like radical terrorists - will to sacrifice themselves for an unholy cause.

But why do reporters lie?

Reporter resigns after false tweet that Maryland shooting suspect had MAGA hat | Fox NewsA reporter in Springfield, Mass., resigned from his job Friday after posting a Twitter message falsely stating that Maryland shooting suspect Jarrod Ramos had brought a Make America Great Again hat to the office of the Capital Gazette.http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/06/30/reporter-resigns-after-false-tweet-that-maryland-shooting-suspect-had-maga-hat.htmlImage for post Reporter resigns after false tweet that Maryland shooting suspect had MAGA hat Why Do Reporters Lie?
33% Because telling the truth would help Trump 0% Your 'fake news' claim is fake! 67% Other
Budwicks avatar Religion
4 22

5 dead people and the guy thinks it's a good time to make a joke? People make mistakes, I understand that, but this was a deliberate attempt at blaming Trump for inciting mistrust of media. The guy deserved to be fired.

@Flrdsgns 5 dead people and the guy thinks it's a good time to make a joke? People make mistakes, I understand that, but...

I agree that he deserved firing.
But, it can't be a joke AND a deliberate attempt at blaming Trump, IMO.

@Budwick I agree that he deserved firing. But, it can't be a joke AND a deliberate attempt at blaming Trump, IMO.

Of course it can, if you could look past your hatred of the media or liberals in general

@Flrdsgns Of course it can, if you could look past your hatred of the media or liberals in general

So, deliberately reporting fake news, disregarding the sacred trust of the public to portray the leader of the free world, our president poorly is a joke?

And the reason I don't understand is because of MY hatred?

Fascinating.

Most likely because they believed it was true at the time they posted it.

@Zolfie Most likely because they believed it was true at the time they posted it.

The reporter has verified that he simply made it up.
That's why he was fired.
The article is referenced in the citation.

@Budwick The reporter has verified that he simply made it up. That's why he was fired. The article is referenced in the citation.

Yeah, I just read the question, not the part under it.

"said his tweet was meant to be a "snarky, sarcastic, cynical remark."

That's the problem with the failing journalism, in which they add opinions instead of facts, which all the major networks have sadly done.

@Zolfie Yeah, I just read the question, not the part under it. "said his tweet was meant to be a "snarky, sarcastic...

And the comment (at least out of context) comes off very serious and not snarky or sarcastic.

Also I don't get all the fuss over a hat. Then again, I've always disliked all most all hats.... they never seem to fit my head well and bother me.

@Zolfie And the comment (at least out of context) comes off very serious and not snarky or sarcastic. Also I don't get...

I think the fuss is about the hat hat being STOLEN from a boy by an adult after the adult assaulted the boy with his own soft drink.

I think too it's about what the hat represents - support for the president. The opposition has been hysterical over their loss for a year and a half. The media has fanned flames of hatred and distrust for all that time. Recently a US congresswoman stirred the pot even more by encouraging activism against Trump supporters. And this attack on a boy seems to be a response to the congresswoman's plea and not the fashion choice of wearing a hat.

Regarding that tragedy, all the liberal news i saw waited for the tale to unfold, then as soon as info was available made it a point to stress that the shooting seemed to be not political at all.
Should conservative journalists be fired for claiming that some of the stoneman douglas students were actors?

@Carla Regarding that tragedy, all the liberal news i saw waited for the tale to unfold, then as soon as info was...

You know Carla, I only heard denial that they were actors from the left.

I never did hear the claim on the right.

Just saying.

Would it be petty if they blamed it on you? Reporters are supposed to report the truth.I think that's what they get paid for.

Budwick, why don't you concentrate on the five who lost their lives instead of this petty bull shit?

@Budwick Cuz that's a separate story.

And one that you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

@dru18 And one that you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

What's to touch?
A crazy guy shot and killed 5 people.
His motivation was apparently revenge- he thought the paper had defamed him.

There - touched. Your complaints are empty headed Dru.

Because they are Liberals and hate President Trump. Plus a lot of news men are Liars and never verify
there report.