Reporter resigns after false tweet that Maryland shooting suspect had MAGA hat Why Do Reporters Lie?

Conor Berry, who wrote for the Republican, tweeted an image of a MAGA hat Thursday, and suggested that the suspect had left it behind at the Gazette office after allegedly killing five Gazette employees.

Conor Berry, who worked for the Springfield, Massachusetts paper, The Republican, said his tweet was meant to be a "snarky, sarcastic, cynical remark."

Backlash was swift. Berry deleted the tweet and apologized in a follow-up tweet Friday morning.

Folks, My 21-year career as a "journalist," a fancy term that makes my skin crawl, frankly, came to a screeching halt yesterday with one stupid, regrettable tweet. Can't take it back; wish I could. My sincere apologies to all good, hardworking reporters and to POTUS supporters.
ā€” CONOR BERRY (@CBerry413) June 29, 2018

Lying journalists are like radical terrorists - will to sacrifice themselves for an unholy cause.

But why do reporters lie?