Thought experiment... You have the option of going back to the year 1889 and drown baby Adolf Hitler. Do you do it?

Maybe this is not so difficult a question. I don't think I could kill an innocent baby, even if I knew it would grow up to be one of the greatest monsters of all time.

http://www.amirite.com/821178-adolph-hitler-you-see-its-been-our-misfortune-to-have-the-wrong-religion-why-didnt-weImage for post Thought experiment... You have the option of going back to the year 1889 and drown baby Adolf Hitler.  Do you do it?
18% Yes 62% No 21% Other
PhilboydStudges avatar Animals & Nature
9 62

No I couldn't hurt a baby....maybe try to change the path that he takes during his lifetime.

I don't want to kill a baby, I would make sure he was adopted by a very religious Jewish family.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred I don't want to kill a baby, I would make sure he was adopted by a very religious Jewish family.

Not sure that's a good idea. Some of the most anti-religious people, come from very religious families.

I'll adopt him and give him all the loving and positive input possible.

@JanHaskell I'll adopt him and give him all the loving and positive input possible.

That was not an option, but bonus points for being such a nice person.

I couldnt either.

No, it could be worse. The Twilight Zone was all about changing things and morals over doing it.

No, just no.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to do that. Changing one little thing in the past can have unforeseen consequences, I suspect. Not that the scenario presented is any way little, of course.

I had a neighbor I came to know well, who said he knew an 'old' gentleman who couldn't quite forgive himself, because he might have succeeded in killing the adult Hitler once if he'd pulled the trigger of the gun he held. I have thought of that many times in the 40 years since I heard that, and wondered what I would have done.

@Piper2 I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to do that. Changing one little thing in the past can have unforeseen...

I feel sorry for your neighbor. If he had a chance to kill Hitler (after it was apparent he was powerful and evil), that would be a terrible burden to carry.

I'd like to think that I would have shot him without hesitation, but that's just fanciful thinking.

@PhilboydStudge I feel sorry for your neighbor. If he had a chance to kill Hitler (after it was apparent he was powerful and...

It wasn't my neighbor. I believe it was a family friend of his parents, and his mother was German. The man knew he would be killed if he shot Hitler, as I recall. I believe it was at the Eagle's Nest.

Hindsight being 20/20 and all that, I'm sure even then he was conflicted: Would killing him actually change anything or would it give him even more power? That's my first thought, but what do I know? We have a way of second guessing ourselves to inaction, I do, at least.

That's a helluva thing to live with...

@ForkNdaRoad Hindsight being 20/20 and all that, I'm sure even then he was conflicted: Would killing him actually change...

I would imagine, and I wish I'd had the chance to meet and talk with him. I think most introspective people do...second guess themselves I mean, whether to action or inaction.

The question brought to mind a book a really like, 11/22/63.

@Piper2 I would imagine, and I wish I'd had the chance to meet and talk with him. I think most introspective people...

Yeah, that can be a blessing and a curse sometimes.

I've never read that, but I'm a fan of his. I bet that is a good book.

@2791168

Wow! Will she have Moron tattooed on her forehead?

I'd cockblock his parents instead.

@Sofia I'd cockblock his parents instead.

His mom was actually supposed to be his aunt

No. I could never kill a baby....That might also create a paradox.

"A temporal paradox, time paradox, or time travel paradox is a paradox, an apparent contradiction, or a logical contradiction that is associated with the idea of time and time travel. In physics, temporal paradoxes fall into two broad groups: consistency paradoxes exemplified by the grandfather paradox; and causal loops.[1] More broadly, a variation of the Fermi paradox also applies to time travel."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporal_paradox

@Azlotto No. I could never kill a baby....That might also create a paradox. "A temporal paradox, time paradox, or time...

Ah, yeah.

If you went back because of Hitler and you change History, then he never existed. And you would never have a reason to go back in the first place.

You have to find another reason to go back first.

Point well taken. The entire concept of time travel is absurd to me.

Did you ever read or see "Minority Report"? In it they could arrest people for a crime they had not committed. I was thinking along those lines..

Thanks for the comment.

@PhilboydStudge Point well taken. The entire concept of time travel is absurd to me. Did you ever read or see "Minority Report"?...

Yes, I watched the movie "Minority Report".

I also watched the great 80s movie: " The Final Countdown".

"In 1980, the assistant of the Department of Defense Warren Lasky is assigned by his mysterious chief Richard Tideman to visit the aircraft carrier USS Nimtz commanded by Capt. Matthew Yelland as an observer of the routines. Lasky finds that Wing Commander Richard T. Owens has a great knowledge of history. Out of the blue, the vessel faces a weird storm and they find that they have traveled back in time to the eve of the attack of Pearl Harbor on 06 December 1941. When the two Japanese Zeros attack the motorboat of Senator Samuel Chapman, the crew of the Nimitz rescues the senator and his assistant Laurel Scott. But sooner Lasky learns that the senator had disappeared on that day and Capt. Matthew Yelland is planning to attack the Japanese. Will these actions create a time paradox?"

I'd send a recommendation letter to the art school he didn't get in.

@2791113

If it wasn't Hitler, it would have been another dictator/killer who wanted to rule the world.

@2791224

You had me right up until your last sentence. smile smilie Anyway, Hitler certainly was a product of his time. I still wonder though.. would another person have taken a less fanatical path?

I'd punt him to the next continent after the drowning too. I don't have any Holocaust tolerance in me.

@Skr3wBall I'd punt him to the next continent after the drowning too. I don't have any Holocaust tolerance in me.

Also, TWO hitler posts of the day in quick succession? Do you REALLY want Hitler to be the face of this site?

@Skr3wBall Also, TWO hitler posts of the day in quick succession? Do you REALLY want Hitler to be the face of this site?

You complain too much, and really you'd kill an innocent baby instead of trying to change what that baby would become?

@Sunny_the_skeptic You complain too much, and really you'd kill an innocent baby instead of trying to change what that baby would become?

I have the option of going back and drowning him, I don't have the option of going back and becoming his nanny or father or whatever. I'm drowning him no question.

@Skr3wBall I have the option of going back and drowning him, I don't have the option of going back and becoming his nanny or...

Then you'd be drowning an innocent baby. You're not creating a solution, just a hypocritical emotional response lacking any reasoning. Emotional answers provide satisfaction yet no solution.

@Sunny_the_skeptic Then you'd be drowning an innocent baby. You're not creating a solution, just a hypocritical emotional response...

The hypothetical in the post gives you two options. Kill Hitler, or don't. You can try to make me feel bad for killing Hitler, but sadly I remember who he is so, that ultimately will not work.

@Skr3wBall The hypothetical in the post gives you two options. Kill Hitler, or don't. You can try to make me feel bad for...

Hitler doesn't become Hitler until he develops his ideologies, until then he's just a kid. If the choice was to kill Hitler let's say when he was elected then I'm on board.

We are experiencing the most peaceful era in recorded history due to Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Don't fuck with the past because today may be a lot worse as a result if you did. Life is good.

@JerryHendrickson We are experiencing the most peaceful era in recorded history due to Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Don't fuck with the...

Interesting answer. Knowing that evil was eventually defeated, just let it be. That makes sense.

I answered that I couldn't have killed an innocent baby. However, had an ancestor of mine died fighting in Europe, or worse, in a concentration camp, it would have been a much more difficult decision. I might have been willing to do the unthinkable.

@JerryHendrickson It would be a lot more than that otherwise.

You cant know that for sure for once, the Japanese didn't want to back down but his still was too overboard.

It would sound so bad if there was a scenario let's say the Russian military bombing the US in some major city and killing 500 000 people and then saying that if they didn't do it the US military would have done something more drastic that would kill millions of people. There is no way to excuse this, and for that Truman won't be remembered well.

@Sunny_the_skeptic You cant know that for sure for once, the Japanese didn't want to back down but his still was too overboard. It...

Actually, I do know that for sure. Just read the History of Western Civilization. All death, all of the time. The bomb put a stop to that shit.
I disagree completely. They asked for it. Pearl Harbor. Truman did exactly the right thing.

@JerryHendrickson Actually, I do know that for sure. Just read the History of Western Civilization. All death, all of the time. The...

So 2500 dead = 300 000 dead. That doesnt seem fair, when somebody slaps you you dont get to burn their house down and kill their family. 2 wrongs dont make 1 right. As they say, eye for an eye makes the world go blind.

@Sunny_the_skeptic So 2500 dead = 300 000 dead. That doesnt seem fair, when somebody slaps you you dont get to burn their house down...

War isn't fair. You definitely wouldn't have wanted me as president on 9/11. I would have completely obliterated Afghanistan. Too bad for the innocents, they shouldn't have allowed Al-Qaeda to operate there.

@JerryHendrickson War isn't fair. You definitely wouldn't have wanted me as president on 9/11. I would have completely obliterated...

Imagine you're a poor farmer and a bunch of guys with AK 47s come to your village and start killing people, lets see you not let them operate there. You're not lead by logic or reason but by hate and emotion. You're the perfect target for manipulation, a tool meant to serve interests of others while you blindly and ignorantly follow everything.

@JerryHendrickson I don't follow shit except for what I believe. Hurt America and be destroyed.

That's not a very reasonable belief, if all thought as you did the world would be blown back to the stone age. Use your brain, don't be another dumb grunt. You're not the only one who's countrymen get hurt and killed.

It's not easy, at all There's the fact I am horrified by murder to begin with. There's the fact that even if he were killed, another force for evil would take his place instead. There's the fact that if time travel is possible, there are other ways to thwart him like not letting him get mustard gassed, gettign him into that art school he wanted, teaching him not to hate and blame Jews for everything.....Really, if time travel were an actuality we could access it opens up ridiculous,innumerable options.

Trishs avatar Trish Other +1Reply

But I would bring said baby back for analysis...we can always return it to he exact moment in time anyway

Baby Hitler is not at fault, if his life was different perhaps he wouldnt become this person. Blame the art school that didnt accept him

@Sunny_the_skeptic Baby Hitler is not at fault, if his life was different perhaps he wouldnt become this person. Blame the art school...

It would have been better had he been accepted into art school, but I can hardly blame the school for what happened. People are responsible for their own actions.

@PhilboydStudge It would have been better had he been accepted into art school, but I can hardly blame the school for what...

Sure, I'm saying it just like that. I doubt him not being accepted led to his ideology or something but who knows, the way things seemed then it was like Germany wanted to retaliate for world war I even if it wasn't Hitler maybe someone else with an ideology just as mad might have emerged. Wish there was a way to see how history would unfold under different circumstances.