What is your definition of a Troll?

I am interested, I have been on the internets for a long time, and during that time have seen the meaning of the word change. I myself have been banned from many a site for being labeled a Troll, but the definition that is used today seems to be;

Troll - Someone who disagrees with me.

The world seems to have gone PC mad.

Could everyone please use the reverse of what they would usually use for any upvote/downvote on this thread. That would be great :)

AliceDs avatar Jokes & Humour
2 54
@2792956

Yeah, you know, I will quite often post something I know is confronting in order to get people to think/reveal what the are thinking about a particular subject. I suppose there is a fine line between argument and trolling.

I think because of this grey area, it is vulnerable to interpretation.

You can't have an effective definition of "troll" because it is entirely dependent on personal motive. One can say that the undisputed definition is someone who posts for the sole purpose of stirring up trouble, but how can you know for sure that is the motivation behind the post in question? You can't get inside someone's head and verify. You can only assume and make judgment calls. Sometimes you will be correct (it can be quite obvious) and other times you will be wrong (are they just posting an unpopular opinion or are they actually trying to cause drama?). There's a reason why being a moderator is a thankless job.

Well, there are different kinda of trolls. For the purpose of this discussion, I'll say good trolls and bad trolls.

Good trolls are quite funny. They tend to lampoon absurdity by fully embracing it, thus shedding light on the silliness of a certain thing / idea/ behavior. They've a unique ability to draw out the not so well disguised extremism of others. A good troll doesn't actually troll other people, they make a suggestion and then observe as other people proceed to troll themselves.

Bad trolls usually fall into one or both of two categories:
Hypersensitive juveniles (or otherwise poor sports) who, in the absence of constructive dialogue of their own, will do damn near anything to derail an intelligent conversation or a persuasive argument with merit. They'll deflect, pigeonhole, move the goal posts, reassign meaning, mischaracterize, rant off topic and attack any deviation from their pov. Wikipedia has a decent page on this group and for obvious reasons, most sites discourage this form of trolling.

or...

Someone who has been booted from a site for the aforementioned behavior, but will find new inventive, or not so inventive ways to come back and make enjoyment of said site difficult, if not impossible, for the remaining users.

I think that basically covers it.

@2793447

The former merely requires more ingenuity than the latter, in my opinion.

If you interpret that as a liberal, rather than conservative, quality, that's all you.

But that isn't what I said or even implied; thus you've micharacterized my comment by reassigning meaning to my words and offering a pigeonholed assessment of them that seems oddly off topic, but again, your prerogative.

@ForkNdaRoad Well, there are different kinda of trolls. For the purpose of this discussion, I'll say good trolls and bad...

You asked about DiscoPickle....I knew him. Very funny guy, and he had a girlfriend on that site too, very intelligent, good friend of mine, can't remember her name though.

@StarzAbove You asked about DiscoPickle....I knew him. Very funny guy, and he had a girlfriend on that site too, very...

He was hysterical! And he never broke character, never. He was an excellent example of real trolling, was a freaking maestro.

@ForkNdaRoad He was hysterical! And he never broke character, never. He was an excellent example of real trolling, was a...

I know, I really appreciated his sense of humor. But he left before SH closed down....someone said he went to Vietnam as he was a journalist? Not sure if that's correct.

Do you remember his girlfriends name. I know I'll think of it, but can't remember it. She was from Chicago I think.

@StarzAbove I know, I really appreciated his sense of humor. But he left before SH closed down....someone said he went to...

Yes, his absence was noticeable.

I didn't know him personally or his girlfriend. But like you, I sure appreciated his humor. It was a refreshing change from the craziness!

@ForkNdaRoad Yes, his absence was noticeable. I didn't know him personally or his girlfriend. But like you, I sure appreciated...

Her name was Reni or something like that. I'll ask Jan, she'll probably remember.

Yes, he was really a funny guy.

@ForkNdaRoad Remi??? I know her, I didn't realize they were an item.

Yep, that's who it was. I thought everyone knew, she didn't keep it a secret and when he left town, she was hurt....I don't know if he ever returned or what happened.... since SH closed down.

@StarzAbove Yep, that's who it was. I thought everyone knew, she didn't keep it a secret and when he left town, she was...

No shit, I did not know that. If it's the Remi I'm thinking of, she's with someone else now. You sure about that?

@ForkNdaRoad No shit, I did not know that. If it's the Remi I'm thinking of, she's with someone else now. You sure about that?

Like I said, not too sure of the name, but the gal I'm thinking about either lived in NYC or Chicago. I'll ask Dru, she'll probably remember.

Someone who goes on the internet to act like they stop maturing at age 12. expect them to find penis jokes funny or repetition which is what all little kids love.

@2792984

You were talking to me right? Seems a bunch of stuff went missing here? Or was it on another thread?

red head that lives under a bridge

A person or persons who are obsessed with someone, who lies and demeans them! Tries to play the victim when they are revealed.

I'm trolled most days, wish I could name names. lol

@2793179

Bravo, bravo. It's too bad the trolls decided to go after you because you and I are friends. But that's what they do. Petty, immature crybabies that can't stand to see good people on this site. People with good ideas, people that act like adults instead of bullies on a playground throwing tantrums. And they have done that to some others that I have befriended. Even ran a long standing good person off of here, just last week, for no reason whatsoever, except their vileness and hatefulness against anyone that speaks the truth.

They are obsessed with those people that you referred to. They finally got him/her off of here and they are scared to death that that person might outsmart them and come back. I hope she/he does. At least we had some good posts when Tiff was here!

I've been told by a very reliable source that I'm to be their next victim. Bring it on, all you losers....bring it on.

I'm not afraid of wimps like you. Men who gang up on one woman, really strong men, yeah right....nothing but bullies.

Sure you can lie about me all you want, but I know the truth, you know the truth and God knows the truth and He's the only one that matters.

I'm sure the trolls will see this even though I have most of them blocked, that's what they do.....can't wait for the retaliation posts to go up.....tick tock.....

@2793507

You're very welcome. I'm so sick of these twits on this site who do nothing but lie and insinuate to cause trouble.

Like the saying goes....There is no honor among thieves." And that fits those haters to a "T". They have no integrity, no class.. Some even say they are military, no military person I know would ever act the way these guys do. Shame, shame on them.

I'm "classy", something they will never obtain.

@2793512

They are just petty little people, who have no lives, they have no happy relationships....that doesn't surprise me at all, who on God's green earth would want to be saddled with those kinds of vicious, hard to get along with people.

High security jobs, that's a joke. Some might say they have great jobs, but who would hire these unintelligent jokers for any kind of a job.

@2793514

Just another day at the Zoo.... Don't feed the animals it makes them angry if they don't get their day's supply of bull shit.

@2793627

See wikipedia shall prevail!

Well said SG.

@2793843

I thought the wiki page nailed it, that is, for the purpose of this post. You went looking for a good definition, that isn't lazy at all.

@2793861

Agreed and some are harmless while others are kinda scary.

Do you recall DiscoPickle from SH?

@2794057

He was a troll, but he was damn good at it... The man was a maestro. You've never seen anything so hilarious as when he'd pop up and troll a few comments.

Even if you found yourself on the receiving end, you'd lyao because he was just that funny.

@2794279

Gene?? I'd use the words troll and woman loosely there, she was something else altogether. Don't recall being from the UK, but I suppose right.

@2794777

She wasn't on SH for very long as I recall it, a few months I think, towards the end.

She popped up here didn't she?

@2792924

Seriously, you think that is a troll?

@2792964

Yeah, maybe, but then, it would depend on how the subsequent posters continued the conversation.

So I think that everyones responses are related to the way the OP is viewed. I try and take things with a grain of salt and find the humour in it....

@2792997

I would say that the latter part of your comment is a very fair assessment. Unfortunately I am not on here all of the time, so I miss a lot of member interaction which lessens my ability to see what you are seeing. In saying that there are many other tasks that we undertake that I feel I am doing very well. I am certainly not a perfect mod, but I try to be fair and at least have some understanding and open mindedness for everyone on here :)

@2792964

Had that post been posed in the form of a question (example: "Would you allow a troll to run you off...") it would have been perfectly acceptable and not considered inflammatory.

Neither are trolling, imo.

@AliceD Seriously, you think that is a troll?

Interesting - the comment / post was removed - apparently AFTER this exchange began.

@Budwick Interesting - the comment / post was removed - apparently AFTER this exchange began.

More interesting, multiple other posts meeting the exact same criteria for removal are still up.

I've been called a troll. Being an old white male, clinging to my religion and guns - I just assumed that a troll is a mythical, cave-dwelling being depicted in folklore as either a giant or a dwarf, typically having a very ugly appearance.

Being called a troll with that understanding didn't make sense. So I googled and found that urban dictionary offers this definition -

'Trolling
The art of deliberately, cleverly, and secretly pissing people off, usually via the internet, using dialogue.

The Internet is a troll breeding ground. It's a little unsettling to know one of our moderators will quite often post something she knows is confronting in order to get people to think/reveal what they are thinking about a particular subject.

I don't get it. Why knowingly piss people off for your own entertainment? I knew kids like that when I was young. They would burn ants alive using a magnifying glass and delight in their torture.

In The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, the three trolls are encountered by Bilbo, Fíli and Kíli after having stolen several of the dwarves' ponies. ... Half of the dwarves are put onto the spit to be cooked over the fire, while the others, including Thorin, along with Bilbo, are left on the ground in their sacks.

An older brother

Anonymous