myhouseinthewoodss avatar Jokes & Humour
2 10

As a huge fan of the whole Fallout franchise (I had a couple of years of sort-of-a-boycott going on on them back in the days, when Bethesda took over) and one, that has played every single one of their games - well, almost every single one. Fallout Tactics doesn't really count, in my opinion, so I haven't touched it.

Anyways, after the aptly named 76 (that's me birth year, ye bloody snotty boogie-cockster. Wha, f'course it's nineteen hun'reds, whacha mean? I'm not dat ol') pops out of the cookie factory, I have to seriously upgrade my gaming rig. In other words, my tax returns are going to burn in the form of purchasing a Playstation 4. Might cause me some uncomfortable moments, since I have both of my HDMIs already in use, but...

I wouldn't be using my laptop at the same time on this particular table to even begin with (it's a bit small for my 40" LED, WiFi router, digital telly box, random stuff, two remotes, a small chicken bone, a stapler, my phone and toothbrush plus obviously the rat and the mug). If I had to take on a challenge to make room for a console on this table, I'd say the laptop will definitely have a nice, quiet exit at the given time.

ZonkeyBallss avatar ZonkeyBalls Fallout 76 +1Reply
@ZonkeyBalls As a huge fan of the whole Fallout franchise (I had a couple of years of sort-of-a-boycott going on on them back in...

I know a lot of people are excited for that one... But I just want to liberate some commies, tether some shit together and then blow it up. Besides, JC4 has the balloons from Phantom Pain now... I think it might be better than GTA. Seriously...

I'm with you on the HD though, you gotta move that router and use ethernet.

@ForkNdaRoad I know a lot of people are excited for that one... But I just want to liberate some commies, tether some shit...

The fastest ADSL2+ connection I could get over here is - for this being a local monopoly, pretty much - a 10/2 (my brother has a fiber conn with a thousand megs per second, in his house, but this is a rented flat, mate...) My 4G router pushes 50-55 megs per second, so in this case, WiFi definitely beats the copper cable. Then again, I'm connected to the router via an RJ45 cable, so no worries there. ;o) ;o)

@ZonkeyBalls The fastest ADSL2+ connection I could get over here is - for this being a local monopoly, pretty much - a 10/2 (my...

Ahh... See, stupid American, we take everything for granted. Of course you've thought this through. lol

Is it true that 5G doesn't move through walls as well as 2.5? Do you happen to know?

@ForkNdaRoad Ahh... See, stupid American, we take everything for granted. Of course you've thought this through. lol Is it true...

I have no idea about the technical usability aspects of the 5G. We're pretty much covering 90 percent of the country with 4G now and until we can get every single one of the redneck reindeer lovers in Finland covered, I wouldn't worry too much about 5G, as such, yet.

EDIT: (Elisa is my 4G and cell provider, coincidentally...) From Wikipedia: "On June 27, 2018, Elisa, a Finnish telecommunications company, launched the world's first commercial 5G network in Tampere, Finland and Tallinn, Estonia." I guess there would be comments on their forums, I'll check them out...

What I did learn from the forums is, that most of the current 4G users are quite happy with their current technology and upgrading to 5G would be completely insane at this stage. What they did mention about the possible problems with the signal strength does support the theory, that the levels will drop down rather remarkably in a relatively short distance from the node. This means, that each 5G node needs to be built very close to each other and I wouldn't be surprised, if the higher frequency meant problems with penetrating walls...

@ZonkeyBalls What I did learn from the forums is, that most of the current 4G users are quite happy with their current...

That was awful nice of you to look up, thanks Z!

5G is becoming more common here and I'd been told to use the 2.5 for second story devices for that reason.

Pretty soon we'll likely have a net-monopoly as well. AT&T and Comcast / Time Warner are already merging certain portions of their services. I despise Time Warner, but can't seem to shake them. They provide 5G, but their customer practices border on criminal. Well, if I did what they do, I'd go to jail.

@ForkNdaRoad That was awful nice of you to look up, thanks Z! 5G is becoming more common here and I'd been told to use the 2.5...

That's one of the main advantages of living in a small country. We don't have to fight over the territories, since the goverment decides who gets to build the infrastructure and what technologies can be expected at the target price, covering at least N percent of the more populated areas. Then, we don't have to skip many generations of perfectly good tech.

My sister uses 3G, sometimes if the reception is very bad, it drops down to 2G. The backwards compatibility is one of the best selling points of these networks. I hope you aren't denied the opportunity to use a 4G modem for a reduced price, just because the big wigs decided to go for 5G in the Big and Almighty...

@ZonkeyBalls That's one of the main advantages of living in a small country. We don't have to fight over the territories, since...

Well the one good thing is, since Net Neutrality was basically reversed here, smaller, previously unknown companies are expanding their cable / internet services.

Since I don't use cable tv, only internet, I'm thinking about switching to of them. Not sure I'd have 5G, but I don't think my setup is sufficient to make proper use of it anyway. I can get either, but I use my own router and have been fine using the 2.5 for almost everything, even the Xbox, which is connected with a cat5. So I don't see the point of keeping it.

Thanks for the info, this was really helpful :)