Why are hornets so darn mean?

I haven't seen any untill today. Went out to hang something on the line and for no reason the nasty thing bit or stung me. I only had it happen once before and today was easier to understand. Feels like a burn. I remember years ago I was on a dirt bike and one got into my collar bit me a bunch of times before I was able to stop and understand it was a bite not oil splashing on me. Well I got it off and dressed carefully went out there and watched to see where it came from, a decoration sideways and the things made a nest inside. So at dusk when they all go home to the nest I took a bucket of dirty dish water and filled the thing the nest was floating. No more mean wasps now

Image for post Why are hornets so darn mean?
55% protecting young 18% bad temper 18% You tell me? 9% Other
LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundreds avatar
5 17

They just have a very strong survival instinct. It's all about the nest.

Nasty upbringing. The queen should always be more than just an authority figure - perhaps some parenting lessons would change the attitude in the hive towards a much more positive approach on life, altering the over-all picture all around...

@ZonkeyBalls Nasty upbringing. The queen should always be more than just an authority figure - perhaps some parenting lessons...

True monarchs can truly be dismissive. Poor soldier wasps. Relegated to sentry. Gotta do something to make life exciting.

A big can of Raid will take care of the problem

@Flrdsgns A big can of Raid will take care of the problem

Yes that would work. I didn't have any here so I killed the whole hive by dish water.

Family first.

Mashas avatar Masha protecting young +1Reply

If you were born with a stinger on your butt ...you might not be so easily ready to negotiate..

DandyDons avatar DandyDon bad temper -1Reply