Are Trump Haters Allowed To Be Happy About The U.S. economy growing by 4.1 percent in the second quarter of 2018?

The GDP report shows booming 4.1 percent growth - it's an amazing number. Maybe the best ever. The gross domestic product (GDP) numbers, considered an official economic scorecard, as a strong indication that its tax cuts, commitment to deregulation and tough trade policies have paid off. The GDP broadly reflects the goods and services produced in the country. The super numbers numbers were driven in part by increased consumer spending, which makes up more than two-thirds of GDP, fueled by tax cuts and low unemployment -- as well as boosted exports and government spending.

But - I know that Trump haters are supposed to be refusing us service, harassing us in public places, be a nuisance outside our homes, deleting our posts on various social media sites, generally make life miserable for those of us that support the president in Making America Great Again. So, I am wondering if they are allowed to be happy for America with good news like this. Or, will they be ostracized for behavior unbecoming of a socialist?

Image for post Are Trump Haters Allowed To Be Happy About The U.S. economy growing by 4.1 percent in the second quarter of 2018?
60% We're all Americans! We all can be happy! 20% I want no part of Trump's success 20% Other
Budwicks avatar Politics
7 32

I hope everyone can forget their hatred for awhile and just revel in our success!

Budwicks avatar Budwick We're all Americans! We all can be happy! +2Reply

Of course I'm happy about the health of our economy! However, I do wish it was helping out more people. For some reason, while unemployment is at historic lows, growth in real wages has been anemic.

PhilboydStudges avatar PhilboydStudge We're all Americans! We all can be happy! +2Reply
@Budwick "growth in real wages", eh? What does that mean Phil?

To me growth in real wages is a measurement of wage growth once inflation has been taken into account. I believe they use the average hourly wage increase over a specific period of time.

PhilboydStudges avatar PhilboydStudge We're all Americans! We all can be happy! 0Reply
Budwicks avatar Budwick We're all Americans! We all can be happy! 0Reply
@Budwick It's up a tenth of one percent over last year. And, you're feelin the pinch?

Well.. yeah. smile smilie

You know one tenth of one percent (0.1%) is not much. For a person who makes $20/hr and gets paid bi-weekly, his/her paycheck would have increased from $1,600.00 to $1,601.60.

Also the 0.1% increase in real wages is an average of all wages. The people making more money typically saw a greater than 0.1% increase, while the people making less saw a lower percentage increase (or even a decrease).

@PhilboydStudge Well.. yeah. You know one tenth of one percent (0.1%) is not much. For a person who makes $20/hr and...

That same guy making $20 per hour is KEEPING $756.75 per year from the tax cut! [Or, 29.11 per pay period)

Sounds like Trump is working OK for him.

@Budwick That same guy making $20 per hour is KEEPING $756.75 per year from the tax cut! [Or, 29.11 per pay period) Sounds...

How you determined this? Also, I can't find if "real wage" figures are based on pre- or post- pay. If it's looking at post-tax money then the tax cut is already being taken into consideration.

@PhilboydStudge How you determined this? Also, I can't find if "real wage" figures are based on pre- or post- pay. If it's...

Simple, your $20 per hour guy works 2,000 hours per year (full time, 2 week vacation) so he makes $40,000 per year.

I found one of many tax break calculators on line and found how much less tax he would pay.

Phil, nobody says that you HAVE to like Trump. There's a lot of things about his personality that I don't like too. But, the thing is, he is getting things done like government has never done before. His tax cut saved you money if you're still working. You don't have to buy a MAGA hat if you don't want to, but an honest review of the results would be nice.

Budwicks avatar Budwick We're all Americans! We all can be happy! -1Reply
@Budwick Simple, your $20 per hour guy works 2,000 hours per year (full time, 2 week vacation) so he makes $40,000 per...

Thanks for the explanation. That makes perfect sense.

I hope you're not suggesting my comment was not an honest review of the results. It was based on the results of Google searches (for real wages). We all have confirmation bias so I accept that my bias may have influenced the articles I selected from the search results.

I did more Googling today and found two other measurements:
Employer Cost Index (ECI)
Median Usual Weekly Earnings

Using the ECI paints a rosier picture (than real wages) but I don't believe it's adjusted for inflation.

U.S. Workers Get Biggest Pay Increase in Nearly a Decade
https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-...ter-1533040473

The Median Usual Weekly Earnings measurement, when adjusted for inflation, shows a different picture. In 1982-1984 dollars here is the median salary per quarter:
2017 Q1 351
2017 Q2 353
2017 Q3 353
2017 Q4 345
2018 Q1 350
2018 Q2 351
https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/wkyeng.pdf

Including this because it has a graph of the Median Usual Weekly Earnings.
https://www.politifact.com/trut...ald-trumps-tax-/

So as usual, you can believe what you want and then find a measurement to support that belief.

PhilboydStudges avatar PhilboydStudge We're all Americans! We all can be happy! +1Reply
@PhilboydStudge Thanks for the explanation. That makes perfect sense. I hope you're not suggesting my comment was not an honest...

No dig was intended Phil.

There's a zillion economic terms out there. I don't think anyone knows all of them or what they all mean.

When I see the grocery bill going up or down - that's my best indicator of inflation. When I see businesses closing all over - I can feel recession

Budwicks avatar Budwick We're all Americans! We all can be happy! +1Reply

I'm not sure...according to some people here, those who are registered "Democrats" aren't really Americans.

@Piper2 I'm not sure...according to some people here, those who are registered "Democrats" aren't really Americans.

Goes both ways Piper. According to others here, a registered Republican is a homophobic, racist, xenophobic, women hating bigot.

There may be a few people here who think that, although I've not seen anyone say such a thing, myself.

@Budwick Hatred of Trump? Oh, yeah - plenty of that on the left.

There is plenty of dislike for Trump on all sides of the political spectrum.

@Piper2 There is plenty of dislike for Trump on all sides of the political spectrum...

Your illustration doesn't support your point, but I agree - there are many people that are really pissed that Trump won the presidency.

Oh well.

@Budwick Your illustration doesn't support your point, but I agree - there are many people that are really pissed that Trump...

My point was that you have indeed seen someone say such a thing, just a few weeks ago. That was "illustrated" in my first reply to your denying that you had...

@Piper2 My point was that you have indeed seen someone say such a thing, just a few weeks ago. That was "illustrated"...

And MY point is that the illustration you cited has nothing about the original topics - "homophobic, racist, xenophobic, women hating bigots"

But, you do get extra points for trying really, really hard!

@Budwick And MY point is that the illustration you cited has nothing about the original topics - "homophobic, racist...

Budwick, you replied to my response to your post, and it's evident that have seen someone say "such a thing".
I thought you valued honesty, as I do.

4.1 percent growth...Outstanding!...My stocks have skyrocketed and I started receiving dividends (for the first time in over eight years) shortly after Trump took office.

@Azlotto 4.1 percent growth...Outstanding!...My stocks have skyrocketed and I started receiving dividends (for the first...

Just what have you been buying for stock? I've been receiving dividends quarterly for the past 20 years.

While real wages went down and my Fed. taxes went up.
Whoopdee fucking doo.
It's too much winning.

That's a rather funny figure to state.

Worldbank:

@ZonkeyBalls That's a rather funny figure to...

Yeah, hilarious.
It's a tremendous improvement over previous numbers shown on your chart (from January of this year)

@Budwick Yeah, hilarious. It's a tremendous improvement over previous numbers shown on your chart (from January of this year)

So, I take it an organization such as The World Bank is full of shit.

That really is hilarious.

@ZonkeyBalls So, I take it an organization such as The World Bank is full of shit. That really is hilarious.

Easy does it Zonk.
Your chart is from January of this year.
The number I quoted is from the 2nd quarter of this year - 3 months AFTER your report was published. I'm sure your report is accurate - it's just dated.

Anonymous