BlindMists avatar Animals & Nature
8 29

I personally don't think there's a purpose (a plan) for anyone. People will just make their own basing on their lives and personalities, because purposes are subjective. One might find his/her purpose is to make the world a better place by helping people in need. Another might think its purpose is to also make the world a better place, but by killing/destroying those who are different than him/her. Others follow purposes that are forced upon them, even if it's not something they are happy doing. So I find "purposes" quite tricky - they're much like morals/values.
I think the universe is more based on action/reaction.

Sofias avatar Sofia Nothing has a purpose +5Reply
@2799062

Fair enough. In my mind, God creates everything with a purpose for being.

BlindMists avatar BlindMist Yes, but I will not tell you my purpose +2Reply
@BlindMist Fair enough. In my mind, God creates everything with a purpose for being.

I'm curious as to why you believe this. In my mind, why would an all-powerful deity create a tsunami that killed almost 300,000 people, many of whom had never even heard of Mohammed, Yahweh, or Jesus? Things like this ultimately created a cognitive dissonance I couldn't live with

@PhilboydStudge I'm curious as to why you believe this. In my mind, why would an all-powerful deity create a tsunami that killed...

Because when you look at the universe, the sun, the stars, the planets, when you look at creation, everything operates under the law under which they were created. And even though humans have free will, I don't think we're alive for no reason, though it remains to be seen the percentage of people that actually discover their purpose.

Natural disasters operate under the laws of nature, which, I believe, God has control over. He has both an active and passive will, so with His passive will, He allows certain things to happen. Why? I don't have the answer to your question, but I believe they can act as signs of the time. The Bible says there will be wars and rumors of wars; nation shall rise against nation, kingdom against kingdom; there will be famine, pestilence, and earthquakes in diverse places. With that taken into account, I think that many natural disasters today are a result of God's wrath and displeasure.

But I can understand that. A lot of people feel the same way. Personally, I have never experienced cognitive dissonance with my religious beliefs.

BlindMists avatar BlindMist Yes, but I will not tell you my purpose 0Reply

Not necessarily. I believe some things may have once had a purpose, but don't anymore. I do believe that any person can find their purpose, though. And a "purpose" doesn't have to be some big noble cause either.

Tibbys avatar Tibby Only some things have a purpose +3Reply
@BlindMist Like what things? I'm just curious.

Like wisdom teeth :D

I don't think they exist for nothing; clearly they once had some kind of useful function otherwise they wouldn't be there. But it seems they have lost their purpose.

Tibbys avatar Tibby Only some things have a purpose +1Reply
@Tibby Like wisdom teeth :D I don't think they exist for nothing; clearly they once had some kind of useful function...

I understand that Jan. Ages ago our teeth were our lives and our jaws bigger, the wisdom teeth would move in when others fell out. as we become more civilized we don't need to chew such hard foods and those extra teeth just don't fit anymore.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundreds avatar LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Only some things have a purpose 0Reply

Each living thing has it's own purpose. Life.

No. If there was, all the many species (even before man) would not have become extinct. One species I would like to see become extinct is mosquitoes.

@JustJimColo No. If there was, all the many species (even before man) would not have become extinct. One species I would like to...

Jim I don't like mosquitoes either. I suppose they are food to birds but there are just too many.

LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundreds avatar LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Only some things have a purpose +1Reply
@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred Jim I don't like mosquitoes either. I suppose they are food to birds but there are just too many.

Their extermination wont lead to a major eco system change, whatever eats them can eat something else as it already does. Mosquitoes have no benefit to an eco system but being food. They're parasites.

If we want our lives to have a purpose, it's up to each of us to figure out what that is. I don't believe my life had any preordained purpose.

The way I see it living things have no other purpose than to survive and leave a lineage. So fiercely fighting the changing environment in order to ensure survival of the species, individuals having no value but to leave a genetic trail, and those who managed to do so deemed as most adaptive. Each one of us is the culmination of trillions of generations, countless ancestors.

As humans however we have partially beat nature, today many people that would normally die be it due to illness, flawed genes or injuries get to live. We have no purpose but that which we give ourselves.

I've never been able to come up with a purpose for the house fly, unless the purpose is to irritate people

At some point I learned that Solomon was the wisest man who ever lived.
He wrote about how Earthly things are really kind of meaningless. He gives these concluding remarks in the book of Ecclesiastes: "Here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil"

So, I try to honor God in what I think, do and say. I don't keep score, check with Vic, I'm pretty sure he does.

Budwicks avatar Budwick Yes, but I will not tell you my purpose 0Reply
@Budwick At some point I learned that Solomon was the wisest man who ever lived. He wrote about how Earthly things are...

You seem to agree with Solomon and yet you vote that everything has a purpose (which means even earthly things). So in your opinion, how can something be meaningless and still have purpose?

BlindMists avatar BlindMist Yes, but I will not tell you my purpose +1Reply
@BlindMist You seem to agree with Solomon and yet you vote that everything has a purpose (which means even earthly things). So...

Read Ecclesiastes to better understand what is meant by Earthly things.

But all things have purpose to honor God.

Earthly things that many people seem to care about really mean nothing in the big scheme of things.

OH so we should have nothing but groveling in our lives? I would rather be a dog they don't have a real purpose but they don't care.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred OH so we should have nothing but groveling in our lives? I would rather be a dog they don't have a real purpose...

Groveling? Sorry Lorraine, you lost me.
I haven't clue where that is coming from.

What I mean by Earthly things is that Solomon learned that the stuff men craved, worked for and fought for like wealth, sex, debauchery, power, etc are all meaningless.

Nothing about groveling, nothing at all.

@Budwick Groveling? Sorry Lorraine, you lost me. I haven't clue where that is coming from. What I mean by Earthly things...

budwick only one part

the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. See it says that is the whole duty of man - like we have nothing else but praying every moment.

@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred budwick only one part the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole...

I understand your concern. Honest.
But I don't see it that way - like praying every moment.

No, I see it more like honoring God in the things that I do.