Do you have a STUPID First or Last Name???

Names are a wonderful thing to have. Onomastics is a favourite hobby of mine, next to etymology. But sometimes, our parents get the bright idea to give names that don't seem to hold up... maybe they read a dictionary and randomly picked a word. My middle name is probably one of those. I like my first and last name, they're unique to only me. Unique names are fine, but unique doesn't always mean great. Heh.

Image for post Do you have a STUPID First or Last Name???
3% Yes 3% Just my first name. 10% Just my last name. 45% No, they're just generic. 10% My middle name is stupid. 28% Other
Tanor_Fauxs avatar Jokes & Humour
6 36
@2800113

hate those stupid calls. They have no idea how to say my last name and it is a normal word.

Not stupid, just very hard to spell. It gets old having to spell it for everyone.

@Flrdsgns Above is hard to spell?

lol It's that Z that gets them. lol

@StarzAbove lol It's that Z that gets them. lol

I bet it's more kreatyve than that :p like Tsarz Abeuve

Tanor_Fauxs avatar Tanor_Faux My middle name is stupid. +4Reply
@Tanor_Faux I bet it's more kreatyve than that :p like Tsarz Abeuve

lol Please, don't even go there. That would require a report to the mods. lol

I thought Starz was your first name? I'm so confused now.

@Flrdsgns I thought Starz was your first name? I'm so confused now.

biggrin smilie You're very easily confused, love it. That's 'cause you eat too much Kale. lol

Starz is her middle name, but she prefers it to "Pimpleboobs".

My last name is a Gaelic one and means the male descendant of the chief If you want to go trying to find it.

ThePrinceofWaless avatar ThePrinceofWales Just my last name. +5Reply
@ThePrinceofWales My last name is a Gaelic one and means the male descendant of the chief If you want to go trying to find it.

I'm thinking it starts with Q and rhymes with inn. That's if it's Irish Gaelic. You being Welsh, it's probably not that spelling.

Tanor_Fauxs avatar Tanor_Faux My middle name is stupid. +2Reply
@ThePrinceofWales Wrong.It is Irish due to my great grandad

Should I be glad, that I don't have any clue of what you guys are on about?

Quinn is the only name I could think of that meant "son of chief", there's Torin/Tarin that also means "Chief". But then again I'm thinking of given names that are used as surnames or surnames that became given names, which usually become surnames at least back in the day when surnames weren't really in use.

Tanor_Fauxs avatar Tanor_Faux My middle name is stupid. +1Reply

My middle name, heh. I know it's probably a name for someone, but, it just feels like a random dictionary word lol.

Both my first and last names are very rare and mispronounced at first. Even I do here and there. My surname is easier to say, because it's Arabic. My first name is either Hawaiian or Dutch, based on meaning and pronunciation. It's a derivative of two names, a feminine form of the original name, as my mum wanted a girl :P so she just changed the last letter heh.

Tanor_Fauxs avatar Tanor_Faux My middle name is stupid. +3Reply
@ZonkeyBalls Is your middle name Pimpleboobs as well?

No my middle name is french, and it means "loom".

@Tanor_Faux No my middle name is french, and it means "loom".

That's sort of... Uhmm... Well... It's a bit weird, to be completely honest.

@ZonkeyBalls That's sort of... Uhmm... Well... It's a bit weird, to be completely honest.

My middle name is Jacquard heh https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacquard_loom

Well not literally french, but the guy who invented the loom is. :p I mean, it's a legit surname and such, but the odd choice with the rest of my name makes it silly.

My first name is Keano. It means "cool breeze" in hawaiian, but also has a dutch meaning I'm not sure of, which is why it's popular in Netherlands as there's some footballer with that name. But, I get to be named from the highest mountain on earth (from the sea floor)

My surname starts with an A, and means "chaste" in Arabic, but i'm not sure of the origin, which is either Samaritan or Egyptian, but I'm possibly closer to Persian too.

@Tanor_Faux My middle name is Jacquard heh https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacquard_loom Well not literally french, but the guy...

Actually, I am not 100 percent certain, but I do believe how to pronounce it correctly. I could have a go with my YouTube account, but when I go completely off the mark with it, you will be really pissed off at me.

@ZonkeyBalls Actually, I am not 100 percent certain, but I do believe how to pronounce it correctly. I could have a go with my...

IPA Phonetics is helpful, but not always :p I mean I always mispronounce my first name, and so does a lot of people at first. Some say "Key-no", but it's supposed to be pronounced just like Keanu Reeve's first name, but instead of "nu", it's "no".

Jacquard is simple, just Jacque & Ard together, it rhymes with Picard.

My last name rhymes with A Thief. :p

But I can pronounce most names well. It's Gaelic that I'd probably have a hard time with due to not being pronounced the way it's spelled half the time lol.

Chinese is also one that I think i'd have particular difficulty with.

Vietnamese i'm unsure of when I see the names spelled out. Thailand has its crazy letters that makes no sense... don't get me started on Indonesian...

@Tanor_Faux IPA Phonetics is helpful, but not always :p I mean I always mispronounce my first name, and so does a lot of...

No, I would go with my own guess.

Probably off the mark completely. But at least, it would be my own guess and since I miss quite a lot of teeth, a very flawed pronunciation.

My name is one big French mess. People take one look at it and don't want to even try to pronounce it.

My first and last names are not at all uncommon or stupid, for sure. My middle name is a little different, for a female. People do often manage to misspell or pronounce my last name wrong, though.

I used to dislike my whole damn name quite a lot, when I was a kid.

Marko - a rather modern version of the older one, which was either Marcus or Markus, but still had its origins in the Bible, which I didn't care about that much.

Aatos - a very, very old Finnish name, referring to thought and consideration, nearly nobody at my age had it and I was embarrassed by it.

Eemeli - just as old and there was this children's book "Vaahteramäen Eemeli", which presented a stereotypical wild rascal and... I really didn't want that at the time, but...

After more than four decades of getting used to the name. I don't mind. I think it's fucking cool in its strangeness.

@ZonkeyBalls I used to dislike my whole damn name quite a lot, when I was a kid. Marko - a rather modern version of the older...

At least you can pronounce your own names and words. Heh, though I bet you have bad speakers of finnish too, like we do with English heh.

Now I wanna call you Mr. Emily

Anisah (friendly; good friend; close; intimate)

Khayriyyah (a charitable woman; good)

Muhammad (one worthy of praise and praised much)

They're very average in my country.

Sofias avatar Sofia No, they're just generic. 0Reply
Anonymous