StarzAboves avatar Politics
6 18

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men." Lord Acton

A politician who is a crook, is anyone surprised? Aren't ALL politicians only out for themselves and how much power and money they can get?

@Flrdsgns A politician who is a crook, is anyone surprised? Aren't ALL politicians only out for themselves and how much...

I guess sometimes I try to see the world and politicians through rose colored glasses. My bad.

In the USA, the cleanest politician I can think is Berney, and I'm pretty sure he has shady stories too.

Yeah, that's disappointing to say the least.
Using inside information for profit is pretty slimy.
And, in this political climate, a politician doing bad things is gonna pay the price. Especially if he/she has an (R) next to his name.

@Budwick Yeah, that's disappointing to say the least. Using inside information for profit is pretty slimy. And, in this...

Wall street takes a dim view of insider trading regardless of which political party someone belongs.

@Flrdsgns Wall street takes a dim view of insider trading regardless of which political party someone belongs.

Wall Street is nothing but insider trading.
Well, I suppose that's a jilted traders viewpoint,
but to an extent I believe it to be true.

Let's put it this way, if they ever pass term limits for Congress and Senate - sell what ever you have in the market cuz it will be a rocky ride for a while.

@Budwick Wall Street is nothing but insider trading. Well, I suppose that's a jilted traders viewpoint, but to an extent I...

I started buying individual stocks 40 years ago, picked out half a dozen companies and just bought a little each week. With dividends, my overall average cost is next to nothing and dividends now provide me with a decent income.

@StarzAbove I'm sure if he had a behind his name, he would have been arrested just the same.

I would like to know why some congressmen and senators managed to accumulate significant wealth beyond their salaries, and proved particularly adept at buying and selling stocks.

Peter Schweizer is a fellow at the Hoover Institution, a conservative think tank at Stanford University. He says - "It's really the way the rules have been defined. And the people who make the rules are the political class in Washington. And they've conveniently written them in such a way that they don't apply to themselves."

I don't give Collins a pass by any means. But apparently politicians are regularly given a pass. Again, in this 'kill the republican party' atmosphere we're in right now, it was particularly stupid on Collins part to get involved.

@Budwick I would like to know why some congressmen and senators managed to accumulate significant wealth beyond their...

I remember one decent Senator, a Republican from Indiana, who was not crooked. Richard Lugar. And I voted for him, and would again. He was a good man, very intelligent and one of the politicians that I had the privilege of meeting and shaking his hand.

Anonymous