+14

“Goebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you’re really in favor of free speech, then you’re in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you’re not in favor of free speech.” ― Noam Chomsky

A quote by Noam ChomskyGoebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you’re really in favor of free speech, then you’re in favor of freedom of spee...https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/688824-goebbels-was-in-favor-of-free-speech-for-views-he
Mazes avatar Politics
6 24

That's why I promote posts I disagree with to the HomePage.

I have an unpopular view about that, because I agree with the Noam Chomsky quote.
There are varying shades of what people can freely say with impunity of course...always have been.

@2801001

Trump is entitled to express his opinion, just as Kaepernick is entitled to express his opinion.

Complaining that the NFL shouldn't allow players to kneel during the national anthem isn't the same as going out and silencing those players by having them banned from social media.

I haven't heard anyone on the right suggest that Kaepernick should be prevented from speaking his mind on social media.

I've always been an advocate for free speech, but it is a slippery slope. Take the porn industry, they have a right to say and act any way they want, that's freedom of speech, but has it been beneficial to the country on a whole? Just one example, I'm sure there are many more people can come up with.

You do lnow that potus has deemed all but obvious conservative media as the enemy of the people...right?
Same concept of stalin and goebbels.
If he was still just a businessman voicing an opinion, that would be just that...an opinion. But as potus, it is an administrative stance. And those are usually acted upon.
Free speech for trump is only valid if it agrees with his views and ignores his actions.

@Carla You do lnow that potus has deemed all but obvious conservative media as the enemy of the people...right? Same...

So a president doesn't have the right to call out the media when he believes they're being untruthful? Or is it only okay when the left does it?

Headline: Obama rails against fake news
http://thehill.com/policy/techn...inst-fake-news

Headline: Obama Calls His Critics "Enemies"
https://www.thenewamerican.com/...ritics-enemies

WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service apologized Friday for subjecting Tea Party groups to additional scrutiny during the 2012 election, but denied any political motive.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/...ction/2149939/

I'd fight hardest to protect the offensive speech, it's informative. I like to know who I'm dealing with.

What I don't support is the absurd notion that free speech is consequence free. Just as one has the right to say something, another has the right to challenge it. Furthermore, we also have the right to disassociate ourselves from those spewing offensive horse-crap.

No one, and I mean no one has the right to a platform from which to speak.

Wait what Stalin?! Mr. Joseph "I will put you and your family in a gulag" Stalin was pro free speech?

@Thinkerbell Of course he was!   Just look at these young Pioneers, freely speaking.

Oh my history teacher would love this. She's an avid "lover" of communism as in she'd rip them to pieces. She's the nerd who read "forbidden books" during the communism regime in Bulgaria, these little pioneers as you call them were called "Комсомолци" Komsomols in English, basically the brainwashing organization that dealt with the growing new generations.

@Sunny_the_skeptic Ah, the "APPROVED" works of art.

I had a co-worker who went to college in Communist Poland. Naturally, courses in Marxism were mandatory.

He told me that about 10% of the students were true believers, and another 10% went along with the content because they thought their prospects for a cushy government job would be better. The rest of the students regarded it as nonsense, but of course wrote what they were supposed to write on exams and essays in order to pass the courses.

@Thinkerbell I had a co-worker who went to college in Communist Poland. Naturally, courses in Marxism were mandatory. He told...

I'm glad that the fanatics weren't many. Of course people would tolerate the nonsense, it's wise to tolerate it enough to get a cozy life, "live to fight another day is a good motto in this case. Luckily the USSR didn't last very long.

@Sunny_the_skeptic I'm glad that the fanatics weren't many. Of course people would tolerate the nonsense, it's wise to tolerate it...

Yeah, well unfortunately, the 75 years that it did last was too long for its tens of millions of victims.

@Thinkerbell Yeah, well unfortunately, the 75 years that it did last was too long for its tens of millions of...

Stalin.... never cared for his countrymen. Not even his own son. But enough seriousness here's some comic relief YouTube video thumbnail

However discouraging speech that influences bad actors should be a thing good people do