Having anything against muslim women for wearing the hijaab does not sound like freedom to me. As a muslim woman; to me, oppression is not being able to dress up how I want and I want to wear the hijaab. To me, oppression is not being able to explore another country for education or jobs because I’ll be told to go back to where I came from.

When wearing a hijab becomes too dangerousUptick in assault and intimidation cases has many women feeling targeted.https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/95351734Image for post Having anything against muslim women for wearing the hijaab does not sound like //freedom// to me. As a muslim woman; to me, //oppression// is not being able to dress up how I want and **I** want to wear the hijaab. To me, //oppression// is not being able to explore another country for education or jobs because I’ll be told to go back to where I came from.
ZaraZoopers avatar Religion
7 46

It should be up to each individual to wear religious clothing/accessories or not. When the government/people tries to say what you can or can't wear in public (on the topic of religion), but they only focus on one religion while giving a pass to others, the double standards become clear as day.

I guess this way of thinking comes from the hijab being seen as a symbol of oppression, forcing women to cover themselves head to toe. But if that's what you really want I guess no one can say anything about the matter.

@Sunny_the_skeptic I guess this way of thinking comes from the hijab being seen as a symbol of oppression, forcing women to cover...

When people associate the hijab with oppression(which it may be for some people), it’s still easier for me to explain that it’s only my choice. When people look at soneone in a hijab and think, “Oh, here’s the person who believes in polygamy and here’s the one who wants to kill everyone.” That’s when problems arise. Sure, I choose to display what religion I belong to because it’s my belief, but there’s no reason for anyone to make assumptions about the other parts of my personality. If anyone wants to know my take on anything, I’ll be more than happy to talk. I believe in something and if I’m in a democracy/republic, I’d like mysel to be respected, atleast because I’m not bothering anyone.

@ZaraZooper When people associate the hijab with oppression(which it may be for some people), it’s still easier for me to...

I understand you completely but I can not but feel odd in this case. You know the lifestyle women endure in countries with Sharia law, no wonder this is seen as a sign of oppression. Even I can't help to see it as Stockholm syndrome, and my heritage is Turkish so I'm no stranger to Islam although I have long forsaken it. But in the end there is freedom and you have that right.

Hijab no problem. Niqab definitely not.
A good exercise in thought would be if you imagine the whole world, including men in a)hijab b)niqab c)open face d)a veil e)ski mask f)sunglasses

Which world would you prefer to live in....?
(hello amirite, my first post)

@vox Hijab no problem. Niqab definitely not. A good exercise in thought would be if you imagine the whole world...

Hi vox. Welcome to amirite.

I’ll be really honest. if I was an atheist I’d prefer more people (not everyone) in open face, maybe even no hijab but modest clothing. But I’m not. I believe in the hijab because of my religion and I love it.

I’d never want the whole world to look the same. I love the World as it is, a mixture of hijabs, sunglasses, veils, modest, funny, traditional, a mix of everything.

@ZaraZooper Hi vox. Welcome to amirite. I’ll be really honest. if I was an atheist I’d prefer more people (not...

Thank you for the welcome.

I think you should start looking critically at your belief. Why does your belief make you feel as if you have to cover yourself up?
Ask yourself the question, if you were born in Spain, the chances that you would have been Catholic would be very good.
You would believe and adjust your life, how you live and how you see life, through the eyes of Catholicism. .

So what does that say about religion in general....?

I sat around a table not too long ago with different people from different countries (India, Pakistan, UK, Ireland, Spain and Portugal), different skins and different languages. We laughed, had fun, were friends and we were all the same, because we were all atheists.

Why were we all atheists?
Because we all had critical minds that questioned the beliefs that was bestowed onto us by our parents and communities and we found them to be false, without proof and by default we became Atheists.

We can create a world that is free and open (face) when we start to ask the question 'why' and we start to pursue 'truth' without indoctrination.

I put the word truth in inverted commas, because 'truth' is a whole different conversation but sometimes 'I don't know' is closer to the truth than what we think we '
know'.

@vox Thank you for the welcome. I think you should start looking critically at your belief. Why does your belief make...

My parents are muslims but I was one only by name. I never wore the hijab, read the Quran or anything. I spent a great deal of my childhood away from them. They never forced me to dress up in a particular way, never took me to religious gatherings; they’re the same even now. They were kind of shocked I chose to wear a hijab to college.

I chose religion based on my own experience. There wasn’t much reading and justification involved. It was pure belief. Once, I saw a housemaid who was very close to me praying and I joined her. I started reading more about praying and this stuff which was really alien to me, and I did what the books said made us muslims(praying, fasting, charity, testifying). Well, surprisingly, it turned out very well for me. Things changed in the most unexpected ways. My life turned into something else, and I thought it was rather illogical to attribute it to religion, esp. after the housemaid left. Everything was okay until I joined this college where I wore the hijab because 80% of the students did and I wanted to blend in better. I started learning more about religion, and once again, the most drastic changes in my life happened. Even today, when I tell people it was just luck and I did nothing, they keep telling me I don’t want anyone to be like me. But the truth is that’s what my life is. I’ve been depressed, tired, unable to handle how unpredictable things were but now I feel better, more optimistic, and this is what it is now. Ten years back, I’d laugh at this story but now I believe in all this and I don’t think there’s anything that can chnage me. I might look superstitious, I might be stupid, I might be wrong, I might know nothing about what my religion actually is, but by doing little things and my looking upto God, I feel like I have nothing to worry about. That’s what it is. No facts. Just a belief.

Sorry about that long string. That’s just me. Foolish, stupid or whatever but I believe in my religion and I doubt it’ll change even if the rest of the World does.

Then I happily stand corrected. You, like myself, are unusual for not following a religion based on what we were told.
Thank you for your detailed reply and there is no need to apologize. 😊
I respect the fact that you were helped by a religion to got you through difficult times and that you still feel it assists you and that it gives you an identity. You are a good person and I will happily leave this topic here.

@vox Then I happily stand corrected. You, like myself, are unusual for not following a religion based on what we were...

Oh Thank you Vox. This website needs people like you. Now we don’t get a lot of happy ending arguments on this website, but they’re always interesting nevertheless. smile smilie

Well we learn more from people that we differ
with more than those that we agree with. :) Even though I differ with your belief, I do not differ with you. There is a big difference, so our debate ends peacefully. lol

My favorite is feminists that argue against Muslim women wearing the hijab.

I don't have a problem with wearing a hijab in public. I think people who own private businesses have a right to ban them in their stores though, just like they can ban certain gang colors, or clothing they feel is inappropriate. If a person wants an identification, be it a drivers license, school identification or whatever, they need to show the face. After all, it's called an "Identification".

@ZaraZooper When you referred to the hijab, it was the one which shows the face, just covers the hair?

I have zero problems with the one that shows the face. Women have always worn scarfs that covered the head but not the face. (Some wore it because it was in style, some wore it to protect their hair from wind and some wore it in their churches as part of a religious belief) In today's world people just need to be identifiable because of the crime we see everywhere. If I walked in a mall or any other place of business with something that covered my face, I would be stopped by security. If a person is completely covered and can't be identified, we don't know if it's a man, a woman, an Islamist, a Christian, or anything else. Many times, people cover their face when they commit a crime, to conceal their identity. Look at Antifa.

@ZaraZooper Right. I can totally understand the problems people have with the niqaab(veil).

It's not a problem of it being worn by Muslim women. It's a problem when a full "mask" is worn by anyone.

@JustJimColo It's not a problem of it being worn by Muslim women. It's a problem when a full "mask" is worn by anyone.

Yes. I understand that. It’s only because the majority of (islamic)scholars have come to the conclusion that it is compulsary to cover the face. But then an individual is left to judge on his own, what these scriptures mean, esp. in the present times.

@ZaraZooper Yes. I understand that. It’s only because the majority of (islamic)scholars have come to the conclusion that it...

I'm sure Islamic "scholars" are as self serving as other religious scholars in interpreting things the way they think they "should" be. Catholic priests could be married until the 12th century, and then some "scholars" decided to prohibit it.

@JustJimColo I'm sure Islamic "scholars" are as self serving as other religious scholars in interpreting things the way they...

The scholars collect their evidence from religious books but so do the other scholars who say that covering the face is not compulsary. At the end, it depends on a person’s intention. That is all that matters.

The End.

(You don’t have to read the following unless you don’t understand what I said or have a couple of minutes to read. It can be boring and I’m sorry but I felt the need to say it.)

Let me put it this way. I live in a rather conservative part of the world right now. Even when I go out wearing the hijab, there are men who stare as if they’ve never seen a woman in their life. That’s uncomfortable. I can educate the boys in my family but not the whole society. Then, I’ve been to other countries before I started wearing the hijab and I dressed up casually and no one cared. Now, I wear the hijab because I believe in the part of our religion that said, ‘wear the hijab to identify as muslims’, and I do believe in the other part that says, ‘wear it to be modest and guard your private parts’ but I just don’t believe a niqab makes me any more modest than a hijab, and I can dress up modestly without the hijab in a cultured society where men wear the hijab(lower their gaze), but the purpose of hijab is also to identify as a muslim and that’s why I wear it.

In my opinion, everyone believes differently, and being a muslim is clearly defined by praying, charity, fasting and testifying. There are christians who don’t do things that the bible wants them to, and so many muslims who pray for the sake of religion and go on to commit what are major sins. Everyone is different and I know that whenever I pinpoint the good things in my religion, there will be some historic incidents that people will use aginst me but all I know is that no scholar, no person is perfect as a muslim and we can never tell. I could explain the whole thing to a person who wears a niqab, but if they don’t want to believe me, I cannot make them.

Now suppose I’m sinning by showing my face, are the eyes not the most beautiful part of the face, is it wrong to believe that there’s more to a human’s personality than their face that can be beautiful, why does islam prohibit the veil in huge gatherings like the hajj and sonething so religious as prayers? Didn’t Allah clearly say that all sins except the major sins will be forgiven except if the sin is against another human, then they must forgive you? Now, who’s going to judge me as a muslim? Why would anyone judge me as a human? We do not know the littlest about another person. All I know is that we interact with other humans and our relationship with them depends not entirely, but to some extent on how we behave. People wearing a hijab(like me) or a niqab(like people who respect the majority of scholars) know very well what others think about them. We know the consequences. I know that people wearing the headscarf like me won’t blend in like others who don’t. Despite that, I chose to wear it. People wearing a niqab know very well that they’re going to face trouble being identified and may be looked at, with fear and suspicion. Don’t you think they know? Despite that, they hang on it. They have a reason, which I reckon is the scholars’ opinion, maybe it’s something else but I’ll never know until I ask.

In my opinion, if there’s anyone in a hijab or niqab who’s bothersome, go ahead and talk to them. I’ve talked to people with the niqab and they said that scholars shouldn’t be questioned, and I always said, ‘You’re questioning the ones who say that showing the face is permissible.’ Everyone is entitled to an opinion and sometimes, both the opinions are partially correct, not yours, not mine, not the scholars’.

I’m more exhausted after having written this than you are reading this if you ever got to the end. Thanks for bearing it anyway.

You have every right to dress however you like, but people also have the right to be wary of anyone wearing a hijab.

@Flrdsgns You have every right to dress however you like, but people also have the right to be wary of anyone wearing a hijab.

So, I just want to make the definiton of hijab clear for anyone who has a doubt(Not you).

Source:
https://www.hijabiworld.com/wha...jab-and-niqab/

OK. You can be wary of anyone. You can be wary of me and that’s okay as long as it doesn’t hurt me.

I would not want anyone to fear me when they look at me so, I’m just trying to understand why my hijab should be make me suspicious: I hope you don’t mind that. It’s okay if you want to completely ignore all this.

I just googled what female terrorists look like, because I should be wary of them too. If there’s any other reason for your fear, please bring it up. I looked each one of them up. Some of them are muslims but noticeably, those involved in attacks in a non muslim majority clearly don’t identify as muslims because why would they.They looked like this:

Sources:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/new...-by-women.html

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/...?source=images

@ZaraZooper So, I just want to make the definiton of hijab clear for anyone who has a doubt(Not...

I live in Los Angeles, so I'm pretty used to seeing all races and religions. The reason people are wary of Muslims is simply because of what has been happening since 9/11/2001. Most Muslims are decent people, but in Los Angeles, I don't think i've seen more than a handful of people who wear a hijab.

Sadly, there seems to be quite a few radical Muslims, even in this country, and one wearing a hijab makes one stand out even more. Why not try to blend in?

Right You are what is your name? That is as bad as people walking around in ski masks. Men can hide under a scarf and rob banks. Not cool not american way. People wanted to be here act like an american dead smilieono smilie

I agree that disallowing the wearing of the hijab is not respectful of religious freedom. There is no reasonable pragmatic argument for why a hijab should be banned. The argument could only be about a lack of cultural assimilation, which is not required by law in countries such as the U.S. that allow for people of different cultures and religions to live together.

@Tibby I agree that disallowing the wearing of the hijab is not respectful of religious freedom. There is no reasonable...

I agree.It makes sense. There could be a lack of cultural assimilation associated with the hijab but I wouldn’t completely attribute it to that. There can be a lot of reasons for that and the hijab could be just one of them. A person will clearly find it easier to adapt without the hijab than with it, that’s where a person may give part of their religion for better adaption(that’s alright, except to me, because the hijab is dear to me).

I don't care what you wear but I have a problem with not being able to identify people. Wearing that, you can commit ax murders in front of a camera and not even have to worry about getting caught.

@JerryHendrickson I don't care what you wear but I have a problem with not being able to identify people. Wearing that, you can...

Yes, I cannot disagree with the issue people can have if a woman wears a niqab. The hijab and niqab usually mean:

laws have to be followed, if I went to your country of origin how would they take to me demanding they bend their laws to accommodate me? sorry doesn;t work that way. if a country has laws against face covering in public, then sorry buttercup you must abide by those laws, its not a racist law, its a law for everyone etc etc. don't like it? either suck it up or find another country that doesn;t have said law

@deusvult laws have to be followed, if I went to your country of origin how would they take to me demanding they bend their...

I’m sorry but I posted an image to explain that the hijab does not cover the face. It’s a headscarf. There’s no law against it, just people.

@ZaraZooper I’m sorry but I posted an image to explain that the hijab does not cover the face. It’s a headscarf. There’s...

ok fine, but businesses still have a right to refuse service to anyone they choose, like it or not. and employers have the right to have dress codes, that must be abided by anyone who works their, cannot cry fowl if the rules are NO headwear period while on the job,the rule wasn;t made to discriminate against you, it was made for a reason for everyone, sadly many immigrants (at least in canada) cry victim when they don;t follow OUR LAWS,

@deusvult ok fine, but businesses still have a right to refuse service to anyone they choose, like it or not. and employers...

Obviously, an employer won’t hire me in the first place, if I don’t accept their dress codes. My profession has no problems with the hijab and if anyone does, it’s their call and I have no right to question that. It’s the people, once again. I’m not employed by the person on the street or in the train. Is it acceptable to have people scream at you to go back to your country, or wherever you came from just because you cover your head?

Sure you can wear what you want, but the thing is, is that in their religion, muslims are usually expected or FORCED to wear them.

Thats not freedom.

I used to wear hijab. I'm not Muslim, but Christians are encouraged strongly in the bible to cover as well. After a year of faithfully wearing it, I couldn't take the abuse anymore. Even my friends and family turned on me. Told me to move to another country, told me I was mocking Muslims,told me I only wanted attention. My dad tried to pull my hijab off at thanksgiving dinner.. I'm now in a rural area with trump supporting, gun toting morons so I'm terrified to try to wear it here in case I were to get attacked or shot.

Whether you folks feel that it is a extraordinary Obligation I believe you have gotten yourselves a break from this compassionate society, a big ol break if you ask me! So I request that you revert to the customs of our establishment and all is forgiven