Sunny_the_skeptics avatar Politics
5 62

Just cast the person who proves best for the role. I am not opposed to casting an actor who does not closely resemble the description of the character in the book. But I am not a fan of "forced diversity".

if they do this I will NOT watch, which will be sad because I was so excited to watch it

I think a movie adaptation of a book should try to faithfully represent the author's vision. What they're doing is disrespectful and it will probably piss a bunch of people off. Get woke, go broke.

The witcher fanbase is displeased with Netflix wanting not allowing white women to be cast for the role of Ciri who's pretty much Caucasian but instead add their own progressive ideology to the mix.

Do you think they should stick to the story and the characters or is this some sort of justice for the past crimes of white people?

Of course it has a place, all art is political.

The artist’s task is to save the soul of mankind; and anything less is a dithering while Rome burns. If artists cannot find the way, then the way cannot be found.

@VicZinc Of course it has a place, all art is political. The artist’s task is to save the soul of mankind; and anything...

I disagree, entertainment should be objective, politics invades so much of our lives and some things should be left alone. I think it's very wrong to have a preference of race because of an ideology, I think it's just as racist.

The story is supposed to be about an alternate world with magic, based on medieval Poland where you have humans, dwarves, elves but humans are white like it was typical for the time period. If three was a good reason for it I'd look at it another way, but if diversity and politics is the reason then I will not condone it.

@2809480

Because it's based on medieval Poland and slavic culture where if they saw a black person they would think he's just really dirty and try to scrub him. And thats a real story

@2809484

I dont get that reference, who the hell are Lewis and Clark?

@2809488

Still dont get it, they included a black person and what about the indians?

Let's remember the fact, that Bruce Lee was too Chinese to play the lead role in Kung Fu.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_Fu_(TV_series)

@ZonkeyBalls Let's remember the fact, that Bruce Lee was too Chinese to play the lead role in Kung...

bruce lee was considered for that series? anyway I liked the character, i personally preffered the show kung fu the legend continues

@deusvult bruce lee was considered for that series? anyway I liked the character, i personally preffered the show kung fu...

Well, Kung Fu could have saved Bruce from untimely death, due to an allergic reaction of some pain medication.

This is actually something that never bothered me and I doubt it ever will, no matter how much I like the original content. It happens when they do books to movies all the time. Sure it would be nice if they followed the original story, but more times than not, it doesn't ruin anything. It's just different.
They changed John Watson to Joan Watson in Elementary and I loved that change. They changed Heimdall too and I'm quite happy with Idris Elba. In Vampire Diaries, they made Elena a brunette, and in the book she's blonde. In the Ghost of the Shell movie, they used Scarlett Johansson instead of a oriental actor. Whitewashing, being PC, either way someone will look for something to complain, so whatever. I'll take it as it is. If the story is good, I'll like it. If is shit, I won't watch it again.
I'm just not going to stress over something that is supposed to be about entertainment. I have other things to worry about.

Sofias avatar Sofia Other +2Reply
@Sofia This is actually something that never bothered me and I doubt it ever will, no matter how much I like the original...

I cant argue with that, it's not so much the change as to why, it's easy to figure out that it's some progressive politics move to use not allow whites to a role or something. It'll be fun to have the only minority in medieval Poland.

@2809436

Doesn't mean it should be, it's really infuriating to shove your own ideology into it as if they are being better for it.

@2809467

Why? Art and entertainment, it's supposed to create a world in which you separate yourself from your problems and dislikes. What is boring is if art just regurgitates the banal reality.

@2809512

How am I advocating cencorship? By not wanting politics in every aspect in life?

@Sunny_the_skeptic How am I advocating cencorship? By not wanting politics in every aspect in life?

disagree with conservatives and ban their content according to liberals: private business can do as they please.

we ask lefties keep politics out of a movie, WAH YOU ADVOCATE CENSORSHIP your evil

liberallogic

@2809436

what this is is SJW puke fest, lots of politics in the witcher series, but CIRI is WHITE, if IDIOTS are going to make her black for the sake of appeasing SJW fascists. they will loose my watch.

@2809796

ok? its high time everyone boycotts companies to that do things simply to appease SJW neo fascists, hurt them where it counts: their wallets

@2809924

CIRI IS WHITE! SJW's can crawl into a hole and stop ruining everything

@2810067

lol, the only temper tantrum being thrown is SJW demanding white shows be diversified while movies/shows with only blacks or only asians are praised. I am simply calling them/you out for it

@2810067

Everyone has the right of opinions. I kinda agree with him

@2810070

But I do agree that this is just SJW blackwashing for the sake of forced diversity, you can't force tolerance and diversity, it becomes just as bad as what it was before - racism. How would you feel to see a no whites bar, per se. Because I'm sure there is a sjw way to spin this to be acceptable

@2810075

You dont fix that by replacing white characters with black or minority ones, you do that by creating your own content and adding as many as you want. People dont react good to changes, especially when it's about their favorite things and when its about no other reason by forced identity politics.

@2810078

Hmm, never thought about that. Guess Samuel Jackson played it so well I forgot Fury was white in the cartoons and comics, but still, not like he's the only black man in the US, unlike medieval Poland

@2810070

well i don;t take the opinion of sjw's very seriously. takes one to know one BTW

@2809924

many games that played politics to appease SJW's have been massive flops, while games that don;t bow to their fascism tend to do well.

Well ... if you want it to stay true to the book ... I assume you also want everyone speaking Polish. After all, that's what the original book was in.

Also, do you think the movie will glorify steroid / drug use?
I mean, that is how the Witchers get their powers.

@Walt_OReagun Well ... if you want it to stay true to the book ... I assume you also want everyone speaking Polish. After all...

well lets make geralt an alien then because they speak english so more people can watch. SMH

Do you even know what the witcher is? Why does it have to be in Polish? I guess if you're religious the bible should have been in Latin, screw translation if you want to be a devout Christian you should learn Latin right?

There is no glorification of drugs or steroids. The witchers in the story are taken as young boys who train rigorously and go trough dangerous trials to become full fledged witchers, the last of which is the trial of the grasses where the candidates ingest dangerous toxic mutagen potions that if they survive they get very resilient bodies, long life, resistance to poisons and toxins, fast regeneration.

Your rant has no sense to it.

@Sunny_the_skeptic Do you even know what the witcher is? Why does it have to be in Polish? I guess if you're religious the bible...

There is no rant.

I'm merely pointing out that if one wants to stay "true" to a story, then the story has to be in it's original form.

It is just as ridiculous to insist the story be in Polish, as to insist the actor portraying a character has to match the book.

And yes - if you want to be "true" to the Bible, you need to understand it in the original language. Which is not Latin, btw. It has been shown that the Bible translations into Latin and other languages either accidentally or purposefully have different meanings than the original text.

Your last paragraph proves my point.
They ingest "steroids" to get stronger bodies.

@Walt_OReagun There is no rant. I'm merely pointing out that if one wants to stay "true" to a story, then the story has to be in...

Ok, rewrite the bible, Jesus is a trans woman, his mother is black, his father is gay. You want diversity and the characters dont need to match the story, see how many americans endorse that.

The things you are willing just to stay true to your point, you push yourself deeper into more ridiculous things just not to back down.

@Sunny_the_skeptic Ok, rewrite the bible, Jesus is a trans woman, his mother is black, his father is gay. You want diversity and the...

Whatever.

I can't help but wonder: Where's the outrage (by everyone who is upset about this) when Hollywood casts white actors for characters that are otherwise in the original books?

Funny how their voices aren't heard THEN.

@Walt_OReagun Whatever. I can't help but wonder: Where's the outrage (by everyone who is upset about this) when Hollywood casts...

Oh dont give me that crap, you SJW will rewrite history if given the chance, just look at black "L" in the death note movie or black Achilles, frigging Greeks are black now because of the whining of sjw's. I dont have anything against the actor but this is not history.

And dont talk about the witcher as if you have the faintest idea what it's about.

@Sunny_the_skeptic Oh dont give me that crap, you SJW will rewrite history if given the chance, just look at black "L" in the death...

I have no idea what a SJW is.

LOL "this is not history" ... EXACTLY. It is a work of fiction. So why get your panties in a twist if somebody changes the characteristics of a FICTIONAL person?!?

And yeah, I know the Witcher.
Read the book after the video game got me interested in it.

@Walt_OReagun I have no idea what a SJW is. LOL "this is not history" ... EXACTLY. It is a work of fiction. So why get your...

If you really read the books or played the games you wouldnt call the mutagens from the trial of the grasses "steroids" for super resilient people witchers seem reasonably skinny

It's a fictional story BASED OF POLAND! Find me one black person in Poland in medieval times or slavic folklore.

SJW is a social justice warrior what you seem to be.

@Sunny_the_skeptic If you really read the books or played the games you wouldnt call the mutagens from the trial of the grasses...

I call any concoction in books/games that permanently alters your body "steroids". (As opposed to "potions" or "spells" which temporarily alter your body.) It may not meet the dictionary definition - which is why it is in quotes - but I haven't found a better term.

@Walt_OReagun I call any concoction in books/games that permanently alters your body "steroids". (As opposed to "potions" or...

no you cant, learn what steroids are, they're organic compounds with not only one function, it's ignorant to do so. Its like calling the brain wrinkly jelly

@Sunny_the_skeptic no you cant, learn what steroids are, they're organic compounds with not only one function, it's ignorant to do so...

Sure I can.

Seems to me a "mutagen" that has more than one function, and is made from organic compounds, and results in permanent changes to the body.

Just like a "steroid".

So I looked up SJW, and find it funny.
No, I'm not a SJW - I just find it ridiculous that anybody is "offended" by some movie company's decision on who to cast for a fictional character. I also find it ridiculous that people want to force "more diversity" into movies/TV ... rather than go by what people want to watch. (Of course I find some things that people want to watch ridiculous, as well)

Anonymous