+2

Telecoms are Throttling Youtube & Netfix. Gee, What a Surprise.

A recent study from Northeastern and Massachusetts universities shows that with the repeal of net neutrality telecoms have been slowing down Internet speeds. In fact, during the recent California wildfires they throttled firefighters links and wanted double the fees to provide high speed connections critical to communication and information necessary to combat the fires and save lives. Thanks to all the conservatives who supported the republican controlled FCC removal of net neutrality.

urwutuiss avatar Language
1 18

You're welcome!

There's nothing 'neutral' about net neutrality.

You have options! Choices! Plus, telecomms are encouraged to find new and better and faster ways to deliver. (You really think that if net neutrality were passed when the only connection option was dial up modem, that the net would be any faster than 1200 baud?)

@Budwick You're welcome! There's nothing 'neutral' about net neutrality. You have options! Choices! Plus, telecomms are...

There is everything neutral about it.
Do you think it's OK for ISP's to censor websites and gouge the public?
Has utility classification hurt smart phones? Electricity? Water?
You have no problem with throttling communication for firefighters trying to contain wildfires?

@urwutuis There is everything neutral about it. Do you think it's OK for ISP's to censor websites and gouge the public? Has...

Government regulation, intervention on the Internet would be as helpful as government intervention on, .... healthcare!

Remember when you had no choice but to accept the butt-phucking from government healthcare, and cost skyrockets? And you couldn't keep your doctor? And you couldn't keep your plan?

The FCC would simply require internet service providers to be transparent about their practices so that consumers can buy the service plan that’s best for them and entrepreneurs and other small businesses can have the technical information they need to innovate.

If you don't like what your ISP is doing, you will have the ability to change. Consumers (we the people) remain in control.

@Budwick Government regulation, intervention on the Internet would be as helpful as government intervention on...

Single payer works everywhere.
No choice but govt. healthcare? What are you talking about?
The Internet is the last source of truth that corporate media doesn't control. You want to give them control.

"If you don't like what your ISP is doing, you will have the ability to change. Consumers (we the people) remain in control."

Where do you get your misinformation?

That is total bullshit. Change to what? Dial-up?
Cable, in most places, is like electricity and water. There's one provider per given area. There is no choice.

The ONLY thing neutrality does is keep providers from throttling back sites and censoring information.
Why would you give corporations the ability to censor information however they see fit?
Without neutrality the people aren't in control corporate media is or will be.

You want Comcast to determine how fast sites load so they can slow sites they don't like?
It screws any new business that doesn't have the money to pay for higher speeds. How is that good?

@urwutuis Single payer works everywhere. No choice but govt. healthcare? What are you talking about? The Internet is the last...

Have you forgotten about Obamacare? EVERY one HAD to get Obama approved health insurance or be fined. Coverage sucked, premiums high. Urwut - if you deny thins, then you simply are not being honest.

If you don't like Comcast - switch! better than no choice Komradkast!

@Budwick Have you forgotten about Obamacare? EVERY one HAD to get Obama approved health insurance or be fined. Coverage...

Obamacare was a republican plan and has nothing to do with neutrality.

If I don't like comcast switch? There's nothing to switch to and if there was it would be exactly the same.

All neutrality does is list ISPs as utilities. Like phone, power or water. Publicly held and answerable to the
public, at least to a point. Because it's a monopoly in a given area. I get power from SDG&E. I don't have a choice. Internet cable is also a monopoly in a given area. If you live in one part of town it's Cox and in another part of town it's Time Warner. There is no choice. They're probably owned by the same conglomerate anyway.

Removal of neutrality allows ISPs to decide what information you get and at what speed.
And you don't have a problem with that???

@urwutuis Obamacare was a republican plan and has nothing to do with neutrality. If I don't like comcast switch? There's...

You wrote - "Obamacare was a republican plan and has nothing to do with neutrality."?

Uhmm, not a single republican voted for Obamacare - not one.

Urwut - Your responses are getting more and more ridiculous. I'm thinking that you're really nothing more than a a shit pot stirrer - a troll

If you live in a remote area where only one ISP exists, you could very well be taken advantage of - with or without net neutrality. Competition is the consumers friend.

Listing as a utility is rotten for consumers. The utilities know you have no option. If When Cleveland water screws their customers, has internal corruption discovered, fails to plan for upgrades, etc. - the consumer has no where else to go. I found that it's even illegal for me to have my own well!

Gas and electric aren't as bad. Activist groups pushed hard enough to enable competition using existing infrastructure.

Utility models suck. Not good for consumer.

No net neutrality invites competition. Brand X offering more services for less money. Brand Y responds with their own improvements. Lot's of choices for consumers.

Sorry Urwut - real life defeats your socialist net neutrality. Regardless of what you THINK it is, it's a gateway for government to control content. Not cool.

@Budwick You wrote - "Obamacare was a republican plan and has nothing to do with neutrality."? Uhmm, not a single...

Whether or not republicans voted for it it was their plan originally. So was
the carbon tax for that matter.
Had it been a republican president they all would have voted for it.

San Diego is not a remote area. Neither was New York.
Do you ever see ads for other cable providers on cable?

No net neutrality invites competition.
Really? How does it do that?
The only competition has been places where the public took over.
There is no competition any more. Corporations either kill competitors or buy them.

The Internet was developed with public funds like most other things. Companies don't spend their own money on R&D. It's grants and military contracts. Without govt we wouldn't even have transistors let alone cell phones and GPS .
Public funding for private profit.

If When Cleveland water screws their customers, has internal corruption discovered, fails to plan for upgrades, etc. - the consumer has no where else to go."
And, of course, there's no corporate corruption.
What happened when Detroit privatized the water?
Profit driven utilities are a disaster

I found that it's even illegal for me to have my own well!
Illegal for you. Not for Nestle who is in the process of draining the Great Lakes and shipping it to China.
It could be worse. In Arizona it's illegal to collect rainwater.

Many, if not most, US cities have sold their water rights to 1 of 3 corporations and it's happening world wide.
How do you think that will work out?

Not only will you not be allowed to have a well you won't be able to afford the water bill.
There are things done better by the private sector and things done better by the public sector. I don't want the govt to make my jeans or sneakers but I don't want profit driven corporations to inspect my meat

@Budwick I just did a google search for San Diego Internet Service Providers. Seems there a plenty of...

Yeah, there's dial-up too.
There are no choices in Cable connections
There are no choices in slow DSL service either if it's even available
In many places it's not.
There are choices in satellite though.
Of course the only difference is in the name of the company and it costs more than cable for 15GB a month.
These are not options.

@urwutuis Yeah, there's dial-up too. There are no choices in Cable connections There are no choices in slow DSL service...

Several options listed above. Took about 20 seconds to find it.

Maybe you could spend less time whining and more time becoming self sufficient.

@urwutuis That's TV not Internet.

Your bitch complaint was specifically about cable.
If you go to this page where I copied that chart, you'll see that they all have plans that include both.

https://www.cabletv.com/ca/san-...=aw.ds.ds#both

@Budwick Your bitch complaint was specifically about cable. If you go to this page where I copied that chart, you'll see...

Right, because that's what net neutrality is all about.
TV
Cable is the fastest

Yeah, they have plans for both. That's where the 15gigs come in for another $100+ a month plus set up.

I can't get cable at the shop because it's about a half mile from where cable ends.
I can't get DSL, not available.
i had to get satellite. There are 4 or 5 companies. Dish and Direct require you to have TV.
It's a business. I don't need TV. that leaves 3. All with virtually identical plans. The only difference is the name on the check.

Options?
Yeah, I could move the shop for about 30K

@2810165

They didn't double rates for everyone. Just the fire dept. and there are no competitors.

There is no self correcting effect to a market. That's a bunch of horse shit.
Try reading Adam Smith instead of just quoting him.
For a market to actually work it requires well informed consumers making logical choices.
It doesn't correct. It gets propped up by the same govt. you want to stay out of it.
Without govt the "free market" would collapse in an hour.

Price gouging is good? You're crackin' me up
Your name isn't Gordon Gecco by any chance is it?
"If there's a big storm and the cost of generators goes way up, that ensures that the people buying one really need it."
That is so utterly ridiculous on so many levels I don't know where to start and the battery scenario is even worse.

None of which has anything to do with neutrality.
You realize the Internet was created and developed by govt. researchers using public funds, right?