Do Residents In The Path Of Big Storms Like Florence Have The Right To Remain When Evacuations Are Ordered?

As we look forward to another weekend of great TV moments watching weather geeks standing in high wind and rain while telling us we shouldn't, I wonder, what I would do if I lived in the storm area.

Image for post Do Residents In The Path Of Big Storms Like Florence Have The Right To Remain When Evacuations Are Ordered?
57% Yes, it might not be smart, but they can't MAKE them leave 7% Yes, weather geeks consistently over blow severity of weather 21% No, one more person for responders to save 14% Other
Budwicks avatar Health, Beauty & Fitness
4 28

I can recall being on either side of this fence.

Watching people on rooftops waiting for rescue and then blaming George Bush for their predicament - I remember wondering why didn't they take one of those buses out of town?

Other times seeing traffic backups for miles and miles and people bitching that the storm was no where near as bad as they said it would be. The discomfort and expense,...

I think the real bottom line for me is that I KNOW I can't trust liberal weather.
Look at me! - I've politicized weather!

@Budwick I can recall being on either side of this fence. Watching people on rooftops waiting for rescue and then blaming...

It isn't about the probability of something happening, it's the consequences of your choice if you are wrong.
Remember the old saying: Better safe than sorry?

That's ok, Bud, the climate Establishment has already politicized the weather by predicting that this is what Florida may look like in 50 years, and all because of those evil fossil fuel companies and the politicians they support.

Oh, well, at least Disney World will still be there for me in my old age. biggrin smilie

Sure, they can stay, their choice, but don't expect help if you need it, and don't whine about it if something happens.

@Flrdsgns Sure, they can stay, their choice, but don't expect help if you need it, and don't whine about it if something happens.

I understand and can't disagree.

Of course I can't imagine watching the National Guard rescue boat just passing them by. And, if they were ordered to evacuate, there shouldn't be anyone there, right? Can you imagine the outrage if FEMA doesn't have adequate resources?

@Budwick I understand and can't disagree. Of course I can't imagine watching the National Guard rescue boat just passing...

Of course the National Guard shouldn't be out in the storm either, why should they risk their life to save someone too stupid to evacuate?
FEMA is there after the danger has passed to help with property damage, not save people from their own stupidity

Ive ridden out a couple. Much, much smaller, though.
As will said, some havent the means to leave. Others, too stubborn to do so. Some wait too long.
Those that cannot get out of the way, need help. But....after the storm. As far as the severity of storms? I listened to rush today, too. Over estimating has nothing to do with anything other than giving people the worst case scenario. Better to be over cautious than giving people the warm and fuzzies.

Hey I get the first bus outta there but if people want to stay then it's up to them I guess. 乂º◡º乂

Adas avatar Ada Yes, it might not be smart, but they can't... +2Reply

There are enough opportunities to get out of Dodge if it is in the pathway of "the storm of the century." No one has to stay with all the help being given out.
I've been through these storms and luckily it was never as bad as predicted for us.
Hurricane Andrew did some serious damage but my friends stocked up on supplies ahead of time and rode it out. they ended up grilling a lot of their freezer food and feeding the neighborhood.
No one should stay and expect to be rescued at the last minute. Get out when you can.

ozzyboys avatar ozzyboy No, one more person for responders to save +2Reply
@LorraineTwevlehundredRaineTwelvehundred must be good people to feed them all

Yes, and they didn't want all that food to go to waste because the freezer was out for a week. It was a win/win for them all.

ozzyboys avatar ozzyboy No, one more person for responders to save +1Reply

why would they want to. Too much danger so stay alive by going inland for a while

@2810142

I don't know.
Is it reasonable?
Is staying a criminal offense?

I DO understand your question though.

Yes - they do have the Right to stay.
The authorities can "order" an evacuation, but unless martial law is declared they really can't force anyone to leave.

However, courts have ruled that "emergency personnel" (police/fire) have NO obligation to actually respond to emergencies (unless they have a "personal relation" with the person, such as someone in witness protection).

That's a complex question. Are they putting children in danger? Are they expecting people to risk their life to save them when things go south? The questions can go on and on.

The "right", yes. I think when anyone exercises that right, they should lose all consideration when it comes to receiving help later when everything turns to crap.